Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

High mileage model 3 LR battery life expectancy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just saw a 1 year update video of a driver who put 100k miles a year and needed to buy a new battery right when it went out of warranty.

We don't have enough high mileage examples yet. My Prius Prime recently hit 300k miles. Our 2007 Prius has 510k miles. I drive 50k miles per year. There is no way I would do this with my MYP. I'm not running that expensive an experiment.

The driver went back to using his Toyota as a taxi.
I had a 2008 Prius that started using oil at 200k miles had to add a quart per month and the water pump failed.. I would never drive a gas car even a Prius 500k miles as the gas would be near $40k or more that would be too expensive when a Tesla can do it way cheaper

I had a 2008 Prius that started using oil at 200k miles had to add a quart per month and the water pump failed.. I would never drive a gas car even a Prius 500k miles as the gas would be near $40k or more that would be too expensive when a Tesla can do it way cheaper
Wtf did I just read? So you’d rather replace your whole battery for $12-$15K at 100k vs replace a water pump on a 500k Prius?…

Electric vs gas cost is irrelevant and the most asinine argument because my electric cost is more than filling up with gas….

I had a 2008 Prius that started using oil at 200k miles had to add a quart per month and the water pump failed.. I would never drive a gas car even a Prius 500k miles as the gas would be near $40k or more that would be too expensive when a Tesla can do it
The Tesla is going to need multiple batteries and drive units to get to 500k miles. I only needed one Prius and a 3k battery.

The Tesla is going to need multiple batteries and drive units to get to 500k miles. I only needed one Prius and a 3k battery.
and $40k of gas for Prius.. plus water pump.. plus alot of oil that starts to burn

i'm at 200k miles on Tesla haven't bought a battery yet so even if i had to buy one replacement battery i'd still be ahead of the game

not to mention the prius is a POS to drive.. maybe the 2024 is better i dunno

Just calculate how much money you made off of the car right before about to go out of warranty.

If you made more than double the price of the car, then it doesn't matter the cost of repair/resale. Trade it in for newer.

If you made less than the price you paid, then it's not worth using as taxi.

and $40k of gas for Prius.. plus water pump.. plus alot of oil that starts to burn

i'm at 200k miles on Tesla haven't bought a battery yet so even if i had to buy one replacement battery i'd still be ahead of the game

not to mention the prius is a POS to drive.. maybe the 2024 is better i dunno
Funny you say that. I just test drove the 2024 Prius and absolutely hated it. I'm renting a 2022 Model 3 RWD for the week to see how it is in the winter. It's the third time I have had one of these. I love it. Tesla is ruining all other cars. I'm going to get a Model 3 as my daily, and a used Prius Prime, when we have to replace our '17 Prime. I'm keeping my MYP at 15k/yr, but am okay at 30k if I can find a low mile '22.

I have never replaced a water pump on our 2007 516k Prius or the 2017 314k Prius.

We had a 2022 Prius Prime that netted 76 mpg between battery and hybrid driving. It was a good car, but ultimately a bit small when the dog rides along, and the storage in the hatchback is almost nil. I recently ditched it for a 2023 MY LR, which fits my wife's needs a log better.

We still have the 2012 Prius III but had to change out the battery last month after less than 160K miles. I don't know if we were unlucky or if previously living in the Georgia heat took its toll. I did find that most battery replacements are just a 'testing' and repackaging of used cells. Instead, I purchased new cells for about an extra $400. So far, so good ...

I picked up a 2023 M3 RWD as a daily driver and find it the most enjoyable to drive of the four, and the net cost was far less than it would've been for another Prius. In our area, Prius pricing hasn't really come down from pandemic-era pricing. Grrr ...

Reactions: gt2690b
Thank you all for some great insights here.

Been contemplating selling my 2021 FSD Performance 3 with 82k miles out of fear that, 'something costly could happen soon'.

Through Tessie app, battery degradation shows at 88%. Daily commute of 90 miles round trip, hoping to cut in half by end of year. Charge to 80%, have never dipped below 10%. Owned the car for 3 years and 3 months.

If I felt confident about getting to 150k miles without needing any major/costly repairs, I'd probably keep instead of selling.

Obviously, anything could happen at any time. Given where the car is at now, are my fears justified, or are the odds pretty high that the car should make it?

Any additional insights/thoughts are appreciated.

Been contemplating selling my 2021 FSD Performance 3 with 82k miles out of fear that, 'something costly could happen soon'.

Through Tessie app, battery degradation shows at 88%. Daily commute of 90 miles round trip, hoping to cut in half by end of year. Charge to 80%, have never dipped below 10%. Owned the car for 3 years and 3 months.

If I felt confident about getting to 150k miles without needing any major/costly repairs, I'd probably keep instead of selling.

Obviously, anything could happen at any time. Given where the car is at now, are my fears justified, or are the odds pretty high that the car should make it?

The only costly repair you'll have is battery replacement. A Model 3 battery is expected to last 300k-500k miles. There are plenty of examples of Model 3 units with 150k+ miles here: High mileage check-in

• Love
Reactions: Rocky_H

At current prices you may not get a good value for your car.
I'd say keep it. The money you save on a new car could be used as insurance should anything go bad.