Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Server not connected

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

getakey

Jan 28, 2020
So our area (East of Sac) was getting battered with storms and I am out of town in Bay area (also getting battered). Step daughter staying at our house and I went to the app to make sure power was still on. App shows Server not connected message.
I click on the message and it wants me to reconnect the TEG to my Wifi. However, the steps require me to enter part of the Serial number and toggle the PW on/off which I cannot do remotely. Got home today and reconnected the TEG.

Luckily the power never went out in this latest storm, but wonder what would have been the behavior in this disconnected mode?

So our area (East of Sac) was getting battered with storms and I am out of town in Bay area (also getting battered). Step daughter staying at our house and I went to the app to make sure power was still on. App shows Server not connected message.
I click on the message and it wants me to reconnect the TEG to my Wifi. However, the steps require me to enter part of the Serial number and toggle the PW on/off which I cannot do remotely. Got home today and reconnected the TEG.

Luckily the power never went out in this latest storm, but wonder what would have been the behavior in this disconnected mode?

The backup capability of Powerwalls doesn’t depend on an Internet connection or Tesla’s servers. You might not be able to change parameters via the app, but the system will work according to the last reserve settings and operating mode you configured.

Bruce.

I believe those steps are re connecting the TEG to your local app, so that you can remotely toggle the "go off grid" mode. It verifies that you have physical access of the powerwalls by having you toggle the power on one. You dont get the "go off grid" functionality until you link it that way.

That doesnt have anything to do being able to see the flows in the app, changing the reserve etc. It should have worked properly without your app connected, if I am correct in guessing what was going on.

I got that message this AM during the lightning storm. I think my wireless internet (broadband) might have taken a hit. After a few minutes the message went away and I had access to the GW again from the app. Was a bit scary because I could not tell if we were running on backup or not and the heat pumps were churning away at near capacity.

I believe those steps are re connecting the TEG to your local app, so that you can remotely toggle the "go off grid" mode. It verifies that you have physical access of the powerwalls by having you toggle the power on one. You dont get the "go off grid" functionality until you link it that way.

That doesnt have anything to do being able to see the flows in the app, changing the reserve etc. It should have worked properly without your app connected, if I am correct in guessing what was going on.
nope - could not do anything in the app

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
So I can verify the PWs can take over without them being connected to WiFi. I reconnected them, but sometime after they lost connection again. Power went out last night and PWs worked fine. Now to figure out why they keep losing connection

I cannot get past the last step in the Connection sequence. I get through the Toggle PW switch and it finds my Home WiFi. I select it and enter PW, but it does not complete the connection - just hangs in the app.

I went to Reset the TEG, but can't seem to find the button. I've reset it before, but when I use a pencil, I'm not landing on the button. I see a Blue light and a flashing red light. Any suggestions?

Here is the odd behavior.
Reset TEG. It joins WiFi and App seems to show it working, but after a few minutes the App just shows the same data in the flow screen, i.e., the amount coming from Solar and going to House/Grid is constant never changing
My router shows it offline.

Can I ask whether you have done the usual reserving an ip address in your router for the Gateway, and checked that both the gateway and the router agree on the static ip, and SSID? (I know it is like asking if it is plugged in, but I have seen address tables get corrupted.)

All the best,

BG

So TEG has been working fine on my WiFi for 3 years. Been through multiple outages. After this last outage I got the message Server Disconnected. That message went away and then it said TEG disconnected from network or something like that. I went through multiple Resets and the steps to reconnect. Even rebooted Router. It connected briefly a couple times, but disconnected after a few minutes. Gave up last night and decided to try again this AM by shutting off the 5GHz channel on my Router. It is dual band and I was thinking the TEG was getting "confused". Anyway, opened the app this morning and TEG is connected and everything working. Has been working all day (knock on wood). We did have a brief outage when the TEG was not on the WiFi. Not sure if that affected anything in my reconnection efforts. The outage was only 1 minute and I was not trying to reconnect during the outage.

I guess I just keep monitoring it.

So TEG has been working fine on my WiFi for 3 years. Been through multiple outages. After this last outage I got the message Server Disconnected. That message went away and then it said TEG disconnected from network or something like that. I went through multiple Resets and the steps to reconnect. Even rebooted Router. It connected briefly a couple times, but disconnected after a few minutes. Gave up last night and decided to try again this AM by shutting off the 5GHz channel on my Router. It is dual band and I was thinking the TEG was getting "confused". Anyway, opened the app this morning and TEG is connected and everything working. Has been working all day (knock on wood). We did have a brief outage when the TEG was not on the WiFi. Not sure if that affected anything in my reconnection efforts. The outage was only 1 minute and I was not trying to reconnect during the outage.

I guess I just keep monitoring it.
Yes, sorry, as far as I know, that is a known issue; the Gateway only works on 2.4GHz. I was told that the recommended fix is to have separate SSIDs for 2.4GHz and 5GHz. My own personal advice would to create a separate guest type 2.4GHz network (e.g. an IOT network) for items whose security updates are outside of your control, and park the Gateway there, with no Gateway access to the rest of your home network.

Reboots have a way of uncovering fragile setups that had previously functioned. You should be good going forward.

All the best,

BG

Yes, sorry, as far as I know, that is a known issue; the Gateway only works on 2.4GHz. I was told that the recommended fix is to have separate SSIDs for 2.4GHz and 5GHz. My own personal advice would to create a separate guest type 2.4GHz network (e.g. an IOT network) for items whose security updates are outside of your control, and park the Gateway there, with no Gateway access to the rest of your home network.

Reboots have a way of uncovering fragile setups that had previously functioned. You should be good going forward.

All the best,

BG
Good idea. Thanks for that

Reactions: BGbreeder
it went back offline. Not sure if it was coincidence, but we were out of town again when it happened.
Did reset and will see what happens. Worked virtually flawlessly for 3 years. Wonder if the WiFi modem in the TEG is going out

Success!
Decided to just buy a cheap 2.4 GHz WiFi extender. Just installed and connected. I guess it just kept getting confused with the dual band. Odd that it worked fine for a long time
Well today I was greeted with a wifi connect request. Tried multiple times to get it connected and finally gave up, even when it said it connected but never finished it's 5 minute wait. Made sure my extender was working and then it returned back to working again.

Not sure what was happening here but this has been rock solid for 2 years prior to this little event.

Well today I was greeted with a wifi connect request. Tried multiple times to get it connected and finally gave up, even when it said it connected but never finished it's 5 minute wait. Made sure my extender was working and then it returned back to working again.

Not sure what was happening here but this has been rock solid for 2 years prior to this little event.
kind of similar to my experience. Does the TEG store any info? I've noticed after getting the TEG back on my network that data appears missing, but not all of the data when it was offline. I'll get some screen shots and post later