Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Server not connected

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
here are a couple screen shots
"Today" was yesterday. I did not get the extender installed until around 5pm.
1/16 was when I noticed it went offline again. From the app, it appeared offline all day or at least everytime I checked. I'm thinking the TEG must have been connecting to the WiFi intermittently? That's why there there is some data, but not continuous

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230118-185240.png
    Screenshot_20230118-185240.png
    169.5 KB · Views: 68
  • Screenshot_20230118-185231 (1).png
    Screenshot_20230118-185231 (1).png
    222.7 KB · Views: 24
@getakey When it wanted you to connect to wifi did you have to go through the process of putting in the last 3 characters of the serial number and your pw and then toggle a powerwall switch? That is what I had to do last night and it never finished, even when it said it was connected. I shut the app down and recycled my extender and all was ok afterwards. Not sure what triggered the event but I had lots of outside electronics out after the last lightening rounds.

@getakey When it wanted you to connect to wifi did you have to go through the process of putting in the last 3 characters of the serial number and your pw and then toggle a powerwall switch? That is what I had to do last night and it never finished, even when it said it was connected. I shut the app down and recycled my extender and all was ok afterwards. Not sure what triggered the event but I had lots of outside electronics out after the last lightening rounds.
yes, that was the procedure. Before I got the 2.4 GHz specific extender, it would just hang on that last step. The main page in the app would say device not connected. Interestingly, I usually had to toggle PW switch twice for networks to show up. After installing extender, and picking it after the toggle, it connected pretty much straight away. Took several minutes whereas prior it just hung on that step

• Informative
Reactions: aesculus
well not totally fixed
reset my Router for other reasons and TEG did not reconnect. Obviously something has changed as for 3 years the TEG connected wirelessly after multiple wireless resets
Perhaps a broken record here, but...

2.4GHz WiFi generally has pretty good range. Is there anyway that you can put your TEG on your 2.4GHz network directly? WiFi extenders don't always preserve the IP address for devices on their rebroadcast network. My observation is that Tesla's WiFi implementation is very picky, and has trouble with the IP address translation that accompanies most WiFi extenders.

All the best,

BG

Perhaps a broken record here, but...

2.4GHz WiFi generally has pretty good range. Is there anyway that you can put your TEG on your 2.4GHz network directly? WiFi extenders don't always preserve the IP address for devices on their rebroadcast network. My observation is that Tesla's WiFi implementation is very picky, and has trouble with the IP address translation that accompanies most WiFi extenders.

All the best,

BG
thanks for the suggestion. I was hoping that the extender was the simplest. To put it on my 2.4GHz directly, I have to rename it. Don't know how many other devices are on that band and I did not want to go through that exercise

thanks for the suggestion. I was hoping that the extender was the simplest. To put it on my 2.4GHz directly, I have to rename it. Don't know how many other devices are on that band and I did not want to go through that exercise
You can also go into your router and assign a fixed IP address for the gateway. That is what I have my system doing with my extender.

You can also go into your router and assign a fixed IP address for the gateway. That is what I have my system doing with my extender.
The issue is that with some extenders, they will answer the 10.10.10.23 that was reserved for the TEG, but when the extender transmits/receives from the TEG it is on a different net with an SSID of "Original-ext", say with and address range of say 10.10.11.XXX, and assigns the TEG to 10.10.11.2

If you are lucky enough to have a 2.5GHz extender that has its own pool of reservable addresses, then I think that you can reserve 10.10.10.23 in your main router for the TEG, and then in the extender reserve 10.10.11.2 for the TEG, and the assign 10.10.11.2 (or 10.10.10.23, if that option exists) in the TEG as its address on network "Original-Ext". However, not every extender does that.

All the best,

BG

The issue is that with some extenders, they will answer the 10.10.10.23 that was reserved for the TEG, but when the extender transmits/receives from the TEG it is on a different net with an SSID of "Original-ext", say with and address range of say 10.10.11.XXX, and assigns the TEG to 10.10.11.2

If you are lucky enough to have a 2.5GHz extender that has its own pool of reservable addresses, then I think that you can reserve 10.10.10.23 in your main router for the TEG, and then in the extender reserve 10.10.11.2 for the TEG, and the assign 10.10.11.2 (or 10.10.10.23, if that option exists) in the TEG as its address on network "Original-Ext". However, not every extender does that.

All the best,

BG
I did not reserve or do anything with my Netgear extender but make sure both wireless APs were disabled. Then I reserved the MAC address of the TEG in my router.

Interestingly if both the WIFi and ethernet are configured in the TEG, my router shows 2 devices on the same MAC. But after this last fiasco of trying to comply with the apps WiFi request to connect, I am only seeing the Ethernet. The Wifi is reported as "Configured, but not connected", which is just fine with me.

This is a version 1.1? version?

It's was supposed to be temporary and I am supposed to go back through a knock out. Low priority. :)
For your consideration whenever it moves up your priority list;
I have used these to pass the entire cable through, but depending on your ethernet cable (outdoor, plenum, heavy gauge) they may require editing or extra sealant;

All the best,

BG

For your consideration whenever it moves up your priority list;
I have used these to pass the entire cable through, but depending on your ethernet cable (outdoor, plenum, heavy gauge) they may require editing or extra sealant;

All the best,

BG
Thanks for that. What I need to do is to remove a knock out in the back and then drill through the wall to the other side. Then relocate my extender to a plug nearest the hole. Drilling blind into the wall has been the biggest resistance along with other higher priority activities, so it keeps getting sidelined.

Reactions: BGbreeder