Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Server not connected

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I added a Poe wifi access point in garage, lots of device connect to hub: MY, Rheem pro terra, open sprinkler, TEG, Tesla inverter, enphase combiner 3, genie garage door opener, camera, and audio receiver.
I use to be a big proponent of wired devices until I got hit by lightning. Can’t say it enough.

Ouch. Why didn't you go through a knock-out? Or better yet, in conduit and through a knock-out?
OK. You guys finally shamed me to take action. Out goes a knockout in the rear and a hole drilled into the wall cavity beyond which is adjacent to s comms box (telephone now but will add ethernet plug to it). Right now I just took the cover off the comms box and have the Ethernet cable along the wall 2 feet to a wall plug where the extender is.

20230122_161818.jpg

Reactions: BGbreeder
I added a Poe wifi access point in garage, lots of device connect to hub: MY, Rheem pro terra, open sprinkler, TEG, Tesla inverter, enphase combiner 3, genie garage door opener, camera, and audio receiver.
I use to be a big proponent of wired devices until I got hit by lightning. Can’t say it enough.

I configured a wireless access point (UniFi AC-Lite) in my garage with a wireless uplink to the rest of the network and hung an Ethernet switch off of it, then did Ethernet to the TEG. This combination works amazingly better than using the TEG's wireless, plus it gives me a place to hook up other Ethernet-connected devices in the garage.

Bruce.

Unifi is still connected to mains. The teg power supply is probably well protected with mov’s. Would suck to lose power in a grid out because lightning took out the teg.
I agree that losing power due to a nearby lightning strike and having no backup due to a fried TEG would be bad. However...I haven't noticed any MOVs or gas tubes on mine, but I'm no EE.

In lightning prone locations, I do think that a whole house surge protector is prudent given the cost and complexity of these ESS, and computer specific surge protection on any wired electronics (look for clamping voltages of 330V, or less). I put surge protection on all ethernet cables entering or leaving the house (I think it may be code, but they are cheap compared to everything else). YMMV...

All the best,

BG

I configured a wireless access point (UniFi AC-Lite) in my garage with a wireless uplink to the rest of the network and hung an Ethernet switch off of it, then did Ethernet to the TEG. This combination works amazingly better than using the TEG's wireless, plus it gives me a place to hook up other Ethernet-connected devices in the garage.

Bruce.
Are you ethernet only then to the Tesla GW, aka no GW Wi-Fi connection configured in the app? That is how we are configured and have had zero issues with connectivity since then.

I agree that losing power due to a nearby lightning strike and having no backup due to a fried TEG would be bad. However...I haven't noticed any MOVs or gas tubes on mine, but I'm no EE.

In lightning prone locations, I do think that a whole house surge protector is prudent given the cost and complexity of these ESS, and computer specific surge protection on any wired electronics (look for clamping voltages of 330V, or less). I put surge protection on all ethernet cables entering or leaving the house (I think it may be code, but they are cheap compared to everything else). YMMV...

All the best,

BG
Prior to the series of AR storms this past month we essentially had just a few lightening events per year and they were usually small, scattered and cloud to cloud. This time we had multiple events that lasted more than 20 minutes each. I also had to go around and reboot cameras and routers the next day like never before. While I cannot attribute it directly to the lightening strikes in the area, it certainly was highly coincidental if not.

I wonder if these "static electrical events" (EMP like) would be improved with a home surge suppressor or if they would still occur. Or perhaps they were not even related.

Prior to the series of AR storms this past month we essentially had just a few lightening events per year and they were usually small, scattered and cloud to cloud. This time we had multiple events that lasted more than 20 minutes each. I also had to go around and reboot cameras and routers the next day like never before. While I cannot attribute it directly to the lightening strikes in the area, it certainly was highly coincidental if not.

I wonder if these "static electrical events" (EMP like) would be improved with a home surge suppressor or if they would still occur. Or perhaps they were not even related.
I think that it is hard to say for sure without monitoring equipment, but modern electronics runs on 3-12V at pretty low power draws for the most part, so it doesn't take much to cause a drop out or voltage imbalance sufficient to disrupt operations. Personally, I think getting robust resistance to EMPs, like nearby lightning strikes or coronal mass ejections (CMEs), is an onion like exercise; improve the shielding at the board level if you can, improve the shielding around the device (better enclosures, e.g. grounded metallic camera enclosures), shielded and grounded (grounded at one end only!) Ethernet cables (don't leave them coiled, or at least wind half the coil one way and half the other), surge suppressors on data (Ethernet) cables at both ends of long runs, computer rated surge suppressors scattered around the house, single point house grounding point, with adequate ground rods/Ufer grounds...

I think that sufficient grounding and shielding are all matters of degree; how important is it to you that some (all?) of your gizmos survive (continue to operate through?) a lightning strike that hits the ground 10/5/1/0.1 miles from your house, or a lightning strike that hits your power lines 10/5/1/0.1 miles away? If you live in the Central Valley in California, lightning is a low probability event. If you live in Florida, it isn't. That cuts both ways; utilities in Florida have to do more to harden their grid and have done so, while California utilities have done less. Of course, all of us are subject to CMEs. For many folks, they expect it to be less effort/cost to pick up the pieces afterwards. Definitely a YMMV...

All the best,

BG

Reactions: aesculus
Are you ethernet only then to the Tesla GW, aka no GW Wi-Fi connection configured in the app? That is how we are configured and have had zero issues with connectivity since then.

Yeah, I nuked the TEG's WiFi configuration after I'd gotten the Ethernet to work for a few weeks.

The UniFi gear had a few issues with wireless uplinks in the beginning but Ubiquiti fixed those in some subsequent firmware updates and everything's dialed in pretty well now. (knock on wood)

Bruce.

• Helpful
Yeah, I nuked the TEG's WiFi configuration after I'd gotten the Ethernet to work for a few weeks.

The UniFi gear had a few issues with wireless uplinks in the beginning but Ubiquiti fixed those in some subsequent firmware updates and everything's dialed in pretty well now. (knock on wood)

Bruce.
Great. Nuking the Wifi is IMHO the way to go.

On gear, we have Unifi everything on our side of the Cable box. I think they provide a good value and let you manage your network reasonably easily. Now I just need to get all my Unifi cameras and doorbell installed.

Reactions: bmah
Very frustrated. It connected once when I first hooked up the Extender, but could not reconnect when I relocated the extender.
Started from scratch and reset the extender and reset the TEG. Would not reconnect. I can login to the TEG and see everything is running. I see the list of networks, but cannot to main network or the extender. Keeps timing out.
Will have to work on the wired option, but just confusing how it could work for so long and now will not work at all.

Very frustrated. It connected once when I first hooked up the Extender, but could not reconnect when I relocated the extender.
Started from scratch and reset the extender and reset the TEG. Would not reconnect. I can login to the TEG and see everything is running. I see the list of networks, but cannot to main network or the extender. Keeps timing out.
Will have to work on the wired option, but just confusing how it could work for so long and now will not work at all.
If relocating the extender is the issue it could be you are now too far, interference from other devices, or a neighbor could have reconfigured their Wi-Fi net and is now interfering with yours, or .... We started with extenders, but over time have trashed all of them. I recommend people only use a Wi-Fi extender when hardwiring is not an option. While a little more work to install, CAT 5/6 cable is much more reliable and easier to troubleshoot and usually, a one and done solution.

If relocating the extender is the issue it could be you are now too far, interference from other devices, or a neighbor could have reconfigured their Wi-Fi net and is now interfering with yours, or .... We started with extenders, but over time have trashed all of them. I recommend people only use a Wi-Fi extender when hardwiring is not an option. While a little more work to install, CAT 5/6 cable is much more reliable and easier to troubleshoot and usually, a one and done solution.
relocation is not the issue now. I reset everything and started from scratch with the extender in a location that is <30 ft from the TEG. The extender has a good signal and I can connect to it from other devices.

relocation is not the issue now. I reset everything and started from scratch with the extender in a location that is <30 ft from the TEG. The extender has a good signal and I can connect to it from other devices.
Yep. I had glitchy things like that with my TEG's was using Wifi instead the Ethernet connector.

My Wifi Access Point is hardwired to a network switch 5 feet from my TEG and I still had issues when I had a Wifi connection configured in the TEG. On a Wifi meter, the Wifi signal strength is maxed at the TEG and my cars and speed test on my phone showed nearly 500 kbps download, and still the TEG dropped out or would not connect. But, since the switch already had an Ethernet cable connect to the TEG, on advice of people here, I just deleted the Wifi connection and ran Ethernet only. Problem solved.

Does your extender have an ethernet port on it where you can connect an ethernet cable to a computer? If so, as a quick test just plug that Ethernet cable into the TEG and delete the Wifi connection and see what happens.

Yep. I had glitchy things like that with my TEG's was using Wifi instead the Ethernet connector.

My Wifi Access Point is hardwired to a network switch 5 feet from my TEG and I still had issues when I had a Wifi connection configured in the TEG. On a Wifi meter, the Wifi signal strength is maxed at the TEG and my cars and speed test on my phone showed nearly 500 kbps download, and still the TEG dropped out or would not connect. But, since the switch already had an Ethernet cable connect to the TEG, on advice of people here, I just deleted the Wifi connection and ran Ethernet only. Problem solved.

BTW, does your extender have an ethernet port on it where you can connect an ethernet cable to a computer? If so, as a quick test just plug that Ethernet cable into the TEG and delete the Wifi connection and see what happens.
the odd thing is that it was not glitchy for 3 years. Something must have changed

the odd thing is that it was not glitchy for 3 years. Something must have changed
Personally, given that the overwhelming experience here seems to be that wifi extenders and TEGs aren't reliable, I would consider yourself lucky that it worked for as long as it did. As far as I can tell from reports here, directly cabling the TEG on Ethernet seems to work, cabling to a WiFi extender Ethernet port, like @miimura did, seems to work, and direct wifi or putting an access point in range seems to work.

Sorry.

All the best,

BG

Personally, given that the overwhelming experience here seems to be that wifi extenders and TEGs aren't reliable, I would consider yourself lucky that it worked for as long as it did. As far as I can tell from reports here, directly cabling the TEG on Ethernet seems to work, cabling to a WiFi extender Ethernet port, like @miimura did, seems to work, and direct wifi or putting an access point in range seems to work.

Sorry.

All the best,

BG
Wifi even without an extender became unreliable for me. Ethernet is solid.

• Informative