Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Server not connected

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Going to work on a wired connection. It won't be simple as my TEG is outside mounted on a wall that encloses my crawl space. Fortunately, house is on a hill so I can stand up in the "crawl" space. But there aren't any electrical outlets down there so I'm going to have to run the ethernet cable from above into the crawl space.
I will test it first using an extension cord and put the extender outside. It has an ethernet port

Reactions: jboy210
Going to work on a wired connection. It won't be simple as my TEG is outside mounted on a wall that encloses my crawl space. Fortunately, house is on a hill so I can stand up in the "crawl" space. But there aren't any electrical outlets down there so I'm going to have to run the ethernet cable from above into the crawl space.
I will test it first using an extension cord and put the extender outside. It has an ethernet port
Before going under or outside the house, you might want to connect a laptop with wifi off to the extender's ethernet connection. That will let you do any needed troubleshooting in comfort. I don't mind hooking things up in tight spaces, but only once!

Last edited:
looks like I will need to run the cable ~75 feet for the easiest solution. Anything less I have to open up a wall or drill through floor. Any reason to use anything more than CAT6?
No, not at all. 5e would be fine. These aren't bandwidth hogs. I would run shielded cable at a minimum, as I have EMF/noise concerns with longer cable rund.

All the best,

BG

Reactions: jboy210 and getakey
No, not at all. 5e would be fine. These aren't bandwidth hogs. I would run shielded cable at a minimum, as I have EMF/noise concerns with longer cable rund.

All the best,

BG
The only thing I would add is if you are buying a cable, get a cable a little longer than your estimate. Better to have a little extra cable wrapped up on one end than be 10 feet short because of bends and other obstacles.

Reactions: BGbreeder
The only thing I would add is if you are buying a cable, get a cable a little longer than your estimate. Better to have a little extra cable wrapped up on one end than be 10 feet short because of bends and other obstacles.
yes, I plan on getting 100 ft. My TV/Internet cable is on the same route so I can just follow it and will add a CAT6 wall connector. Then I will have the cable modem, router, and extender all in one spot. I wish my router had a wired port.

Reactions: jboy210
what's interesting is that when it first connected, I could see data for today going back to before it was connected, but previous days had no data. I just checked again and it is filling in the data for previous days. The TEG must have some amount of local storage. I'll see how far back it will go later

finally got the time to run the ethernet cable. It was a real pain fishing it through the wall where my router is. The Xfinity cable went through the wall there so I figured I could just run in parallel with that cable by drilling a second hole. The other side of the wall opens into my water heater closet. Getting the cable up through the floor of the closet wasn't hard. Problem was the Xfinity installer did not drill the hole in the closet directly across from hole on inside wall. I kept trying to fish cable through but could not find the second hole. Finally figured it out and drilled a new hole straight through both walls. Not much wiggle room in the closet, but I managed to fish the wire through.
Its all connected now and working!