Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service failed me AGAIN - ISO a windshield for Roadster 2.5

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, this happened the other day, right in the driver side.

Windsheild.jpg

My insurance filled out the claim, and connected me with one of their "approved" repair companies.

They put in a call and email to Tesla. Over a week later, no one has responded. This is typical of the horrible service that Tesla provides. Everyone tells me American car companies are out to ruin Tesla... From my experience, Tesla is doing that on their own, without any help.

The glass company called me apologizing that they haven't heard anything. And were asking if I had any other way to reach the "dealer" as they referred to it.

I suggested perhaps they could look at Lotus? Maybe it's the same size?

Does anyone have any suggestions on replacing a windshield for a Roadster 2.5?

Attachments

• Windsheild1.jpg
    Windsheild1.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 76
Safelite isn't giving me that option. I discussed it with them, they said they can't verify if it's a match unless they have part numbers to try to cross reference.

It may also depend on the version. Mine is a 2.5.

The service center finally called Safelite back (amazing how, after a week of silence, they react when I start carpet bombing social media with complaints).

Then proceeded to give them the wrong part number. Turns out they quoted one from a year 2010 or earlier.
Good think I had inserted myself in the middle of this.

I thought I remembered some small difference from the Lotus windshield such as the position of the window for the VIN tag. I don't know about differences among the generations of Roadster.

I do remember an issue with this. I needed a new windshield back in 2013. I remember the first one that was installed fit, but the VIN was covered up. They had to install a new one with the properly located VIN opening.

I'm not sure what the differences are - Lotus vs. Roadster 1.5/2.0/2.5; or whether the Solargard option was a factor.

I'll try to dig up my old invoice and take a look.

Hmm - looking at an old email from the service center back when I had the repair done:

"There are 3 windshields to choose from for the Roadster. Roadsters built 2010 and above there is 2 options, 2009 there is only 1 choice."

Here is what I wrote when my replacement windshield hid the VIN:

"However, I noticed the following differences between the old and new windshield:
1) The top of the new windshield had a light blue tint running the length of the top. Is this called a glare strip? Anyway, it was on the new one, but not the old one.
2) The old windshield was darkened/black in the area behind the rearview mirror. The new one is not, but that light blue glare strip runs the length of the top.
3) A pattern of black dots lines the outer edge, but these now cover the VIN#. On the old one, there was a gap on the black dot trim that let the VIN be clearly visible.
4) The old windshield had the Tesla logo visible near the VIN#. This new windshield does not have the Tesla logo."

The SC replied:

"The part was ordered correctly but I’m thinking Tesla could have mispackaged the part. Both windshields are exactly the same dimensions but have different manufacturers, price and other small visual differences.I am have another windshield sent over to me and I will let you know once it arrives."

That would make sense, I have the Solar screen (as marked on the build sheet), and have no anti glare blue tint.However there is a cutout for the vin. I can only assume after 2010 the found a supplier or aftermarket Lotus ones became available so they used them. Also its been a long time since I was looking at UK cars but does Europe have the vin displayed on the front like here now. They may have sourced the later screens from Europe as thats the larger market for Lotus.