Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service now only communicate with text messages

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I found that frustrated with service since they only want to communicate with me via text messages. It is nice to get text message for informative information such as "your vehicle is in queue now", "your vehicle is being serviced now", "we will need few more days to address the issues". those messages are fine.

When the vehicle is done, they would text and say "your car is ready to pick up" and that's it. I mean, can a service advisor call and go over the repair? I have situation where they didn't perform the repair because they did not detect the issue. I had to go back to service the next time to speak to a technical to get it fixed.

I got another text message yesterday "your car is ready for pick up, but there is a rock chip in the clear bra, we can send it for repair but take more time" I don't understand why they can't just call me. I have been trying to call them all morning, no one is picking up.

I found that frustrated with service since they only want to communicate with me via text messages. It is nice to get text message for informative information such as "your vehicle is in queue now", "your vehicle is being serviced now", "we will need few more days to address the issues". those messages are fine.

When the vehicle is done, they would text and say "your car is ready to pick up" and that's it. I mean, can a service advisor call and go over the repair? I have situation where they didn't perform the repair because they did not detect the issue. I had to go back to service the next time to speak to a technical to get it fixed.

I got another text message yesterday "your car is ready for pick up, but there is a rock chip in the clear bra, we can send it for repair but take more time" I don't understand why they can't just call me. I have been trying to call them all morning, no one is picking up.
Texting is faster.

Maybe it’s a generational thing but I prefer texting over phone calls. I sit in a shared office space where it’s kind of rude to take personal phone calls so I find myself frantically running outside as the phone rings. Or I’m sitting in a meeting and can’t take the phone call at all, and I end up playing voicemail tag with the advisor.

I actually like it when they text or email because that’s something I can multitask to no matter what I’m doing.

Reactions: EarlyAdopter

Let me take a guess, you are over the age of 40? It is a generational thing...

We have generation gap training at my company, maybe Tesla could use that. They aren't trying to be rude, just how the younger generation prefers to communicate.

I prefer the text message/e-mail communication--it's less obtrusive and acts as a record of communications with them. As for a summary of what was done, you go over that when you pick the car up.
Based on my experience, when you arrive at SC to pick up your car, they just hand you the key and they won't even go over what was done with you unless you request to speak to a service advisor (if he is available). Otherwise, they will just email you the summary of the repairs.

Now, what if you arrive at SC, after sitting in traffic for 1 hour and found out they only repair 3 of 5 items. For whatever reason, 2 items were not addressed and you have to schedule another service appointment. this happened to me more than 2 times.

Based on my experience, when you arrive at SC to pick up your car, they just hand you the key and they won't even go over what was done with you unless you request to speak to a service advisor (if he is available). Otherwise, they will just email you the summary of the repairs.

Now, what if you arrive at SC, after sitting in traffic for 1 hour and found out they only repair 3 of 5 items. For whatever reason, 2 items were not addressed and you have to schedule another service appointment. this happened to me more than 2 times.

Maybe before you go pick it up, you could text them back a list of the items you expected to be repaired to make sure they fixed it before you go pick it up. Like how my wife gives me a list via text for Trader Joe's. This way you'll have it in writing that they "fixed it"--and if they didn't, well, you have it in writing (at least on text) for future complaints.

We have generation gap training at my company, maybe Tesla could use that. They aren't trying to be rude, just how the younger generation prefers to communicate.
Let me take a guess, you are under the age of 40 and assume anyone older is a Luddite?

I'm 63. I prefer text messages. Age has nothing to do with what I prefer for communication. Texts are less disruptive & I can answer/not answer on my own schedule. They don't require me to listen to voice mail or call someone back.

I also am happy with email. That's how I request a service se appointment from the advisor, along with photos of anything cosmetic I want them to look at. It gives them a written list of my request. They send me the service order via email.

I still laugh everytime I think of the 30-something outside consultant that showed up at a meeting and made the statement 'We think more 60+ people are using smart phones now because their caregivers are showing them how'. To which Intel's CTO replied (after we both raised our eyebrows), "Or perhaps more are using smart phones now because we are responsible for the technology."

:)

Text/email my preferred method also. It's just so much faster for everyone in general. While I was waiting for my car to get finished up on it's 25k service earlier this week I overheard the service personal leaving so many voicemail messages that could have been done with text/email in 1/3 the time.

Let me take a guess, you are under the age of 40 and assume anyone older is a Luddite?

I'm 63. I prefer text messages. Age has nothing to do with what I prefer for communication. Texts are less disruptive & I can answer/not answer on my own schedule. They don't require me to listen to voice mail or call someone back.

I also am happy with email. That's how I request a service se appointment from the advisor, along with photos of anything cosmetic I want them to look at. It gives them a written list of my request. They send me the service order via email.

I still laugh everytime I think of the 30-something outside consultant that showed up at a meeting and made the statement 'We think more 60+ people are using smart phones now because their caregivers are showing them how'. To which Intel's CTO replied (after we both raised our eyebrows), "Or perhaps more are using smart phones now because we are responsible for the technology."

:)
I know more 20-somethings that are 90% computer illiterate than 40+ year old people.

Reactions: LoL Rick and bonnie
I prefer text messages too, however, you have to consider that they don't reply right away. Each time I ask them a question it could take 30 minutes to over an hour for a response. One conversation could take up to 4 hours, this is frustratng. instead, I could have talk to them over the phone for just 5 minutes.

I would prefer txt/email. For example prior service experience for over a decade with mercedes insists on phone, and many times i can't get to the phone in time. I haven't even set up voicemail. Call back is not possible, because person answering just doesn't pickup. Great move.

I had even asked tesla last year to make a service app, where user could track tow truck or flat repair van as well as communicate your tesla location. I had this issue come up with a flat tire, and while tesla was great about phone calls, a multi party problem remains difficult to deal with by phone- user, tesla service, and tow truck...

Way to go tesla!

Hu-Hum... I'm over 40, and prefer texts and emails too! ;-)
All this just shows you that it is very difficult to satisfy everyone - we all have our preferences. There will always be someone with different needs or expectations. Age is surely a factor, but not the only one.
I would probably just text them back for more info if I thought I needed some.

My experience at Van Nuys, Burbank, and Sunnyvale has always involved meeting with a service advisor during pickup, going over everything that was done, inspecting the car, and being presented physical records of the service. Thus far, I've never had to push to meet with a service advisor when picking up the car.

As for your hypothetical, I've had my car in to fix the same issue(s) 2-4 times depending on the issue, they always fail to address something, and I live an hour away from the nearest service center (assuming there's no traffic). When that sort of stuff happens, your options are either take the car and schedule another appointment or refuse to accept the car. If it's small stuff, I usually inform the service center of the oversight/failure to fix and tack the issue(s) onto either my next 'something more serious is wrong' appointment or my next maintenance appointment.

Phone conversations don't solve anything or prevent this from happening... my experience has been that there's even less follow-through with phone calls than communication via other methods and with phone calls you have no record to press them with. Most of the time, you end up on the phone with someone who doesn't know why the car was brought in or what was done and asking to have concerns conveyed to someone who does just results in never receiving a call back. It took four e-mails to the service center, one e-mail to corporate, and 39 days to even schedule my last service appointment... However, because I had records of my communication (or attempts to communicate) with them, I was easily able to escalate to corporate in order to make the appointment and do so again when the service center failed to fix things and never responded when I informed them of the result of the visit.

All that said, I may just start bringing print-outs of my e-mails in with me when I drop the car off for service... the last time I arrived, the people greeting me had no idea why the car was being brought in, none of the service paperwork had been written up, and no record of an appointment could be found.