Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service now only communicate with text messages

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wish Tesla was using an online service system like other manufacturers use. Both Chevy and Lexus had an online system for scheduling that also included repair orders while your car was in the shop. The opened repair order got loaded when you dropped your car off and the final repair order with the fixes was loaded when you got the email or text that your car was ready.

You could then review the final order before going down to pick the car up and call the service person if you had questions or if they missed something.

My experience with the texts is not great as well. They don't seem to respond to actual questions about the repairs. And it's a generic text number from some service not an actual phone number so I think multiple people are manning it.

I wish Tesla was using an online service system like other manufacturers use. Both Chevy and Lexus had an online system for scheduling that also included repair orders while your car was in the shop. The opened repair order got loaded when you dropped your car off and the final repair order with the fixes was loaded when you got the email or text that your car was ready.

You could then review the final order before going down to pick the car up and call the service person if you had questions or if they missed something.

My experience with the texts is not great as well. They don't seem to respond to actual questions about the repairs. And it's a generic text number from some service not an actual phone number so I think multiple people are manning it.
I always get a complete invoice and repair order estimate before the service visit and when they have completed the work. This arrives as an email attachment.

They should just give the customer a preference if they want text/email/call. My local SC never does text or emails. If you send them email they will call you back (hit or miss). So I am sure every shop is set up differently and they don't have a standardized communication protocol.

My invoices are always sent after I pick up the car.

Costa Mesa communicates via text once the car is in the shop, and they reply when I send texts back. Generally, it works fine. I feel like if I need to speak to someone about the car when I pick it up, I can. The emailed repair order also states everything they did, and you can always request a hard copy at the service desk, which I've done.

I like Costa Mesa because they don't have traditional SAs. Instead, they have techs work directly with you when you bring the car in. Feels like it eliminates a lot of the miscommunication and results in repairs actually being done as expected. I also like that you can see the entire service bay as soon as you drive in. The transparency is great.

Sigh. Reminds me how much I dislike working BMW Service Advisors.

I also prefer text/eMail over phone. It's unobtrusive, both parties can reply whenever convenient and provides an automatic paper trail. It's much easier for things to slip through the cracks via phone conversations.

I understand that there are nuances and emotions that can be better communicated in person or over the phone, but I don't think this would be relevant to getting a car fixed. I would rather eMail them a detailed list of what needs to be fixed (with pictures/videos if necessary), this way everyone is clear on what needs to be done and there's no he-said-she-said.

Reactions: chillaban and Petra
Just picked up my car at SC, no complaint, they served me well here. Maybe they saw my post..lol.

Except my car is empty, and there is a long line here at the superchargers on a Friday afternoon. Waiting for a charger and chilling.