TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Setting 100% Charge Limit Issue

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by msnow, Apr 23, 2016.

1. msnow

msnow Active Member

Whenever the Service Center has asked me to charge to 100% so they can troubleshoot a battery issue they tell me the logs are showing my completed charge was 99.7% not the full 100%. But each time I've done it I confirm and validate the 100% number in both VT and Remote S because I know it's more precise than just trusting my finger on the slider.

Is this normal? Has anyone else been told this? I don't know how to correct it if it's an issue and apparently the Service Center doesn't either.

2. Edmond

Edmond Permanon

Run it through a full cycle. Charge to 100%, then run it all the way down. Drive to low miles, then run the heater till the lights go out. This helps it learn your true boundaries.

3. msnow

msnow Active Member

I think you missed my point. I know how to balance the battery. The question related to the car showing 99.7% in the logs instead of the set 100%.

4. cmorgan

cmorgan Member

From reading here on the forums it sounds like this isn't a good idea to do to your battery. It may increase the accuracy of your range but that number seems to vary a bit anyway with driving style and conditions.

5. msnow

msnow Active Member

No, that's not correct. Check @wk057 and other battery guru's study's on this forum as well as talking to your Tesla service techs. Balancing your battery as @Edmond mentioned is a good thing to do periodically.

6. cmorgan

cmorgan Member

Hmm. I guess I interpreted those conversations and posts to mean that while balancing doesn't start until a high soc that there wasn't any particular benefit of charging beyond that ~92% in terms of helping the battery out. @wk057 is welcome to jump in and clarify if he isn't already tired of balancing and other conversations here on the forums :)

7. Edmond

Edmond Permanon

Balancing is good and necessary, and only begins at 93%+.

But my post above is trying to advise you of a different issue -- battery calibration.

8. msnow

msnow Active Member

Calibrating will fix the 99,7% issue? What is the calibration method you are suggesting?

9. Edmond

Edmond Permanon

10. msnow

msnow Active Member

Mine is calibrated so no issue with that but thanks.