Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Setting of on North Coast 500

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for this thread! Hoping to do this trip starting from Nottingham in my Model X this coming October. (if it arrives by October)
I can’t imagine the trip would change too much in a MX compared to a M3?
Thanks again.

Do let us all know how you get on! I plan to do this later in the year or early next - especially interested how you get on at Torridon CCS charger - as I see this as being the only stretch that’s potentially an issue for me (Ullapool - Inverness staying at Applecross)

I have just spent a week around Oban after travelling up from Oban in my SR+, and unfortunately had continual problems with Charge Place Scotland Chargers.

In Inveraray, Oban and Arisaig I could not charge using CCS and had to use the AC type 2 connection (limited to 11-12KW). None of the CCS connections would work with a recurring issue of the charge port flashing orange and making a clicking sound. I did manage to connect to the CCS at Glencoe Mountain resort and as such presume it was an issue with the Chargers rather than the car....?

Has anyone else had this issue?
First time connecting to my Anderson I got the orange. Charging limited its self to 16A and the app said to check the connection. Disconnect and good hard shove got it in place properly and charging at 32 amps? That's said, not used the chargeplace much so wouldn't personally know

Do let us all know how you get on! I plan to do this later in the year or early next - especially interested how you get on at Torridon CCS charger - as I see this as being the only stretch that’s potentially an issue for me (Ullapool - Inverness staying at Applecross)

If you do go, keep a look out for JosiahLockhart who started this thread - not seen since he was half way round in October. Seemed a nice family....

Were you using the app or the RFID card? Some people find a difference if comms are poor.

I was using the RFID card (after reading up on this forum I understood there could be issues with the using the App). The issue appeared to be the connection to the car rather than the registering with CPS.

I’m heading up to Aberdeen and then Lairg next week for work so will try again on that trip.

I was using the RFID card (after reading up on this forum I understood there could be issues with the using the App). The issue appeared to be the connection to the car rather than the registering with CPS.

I’m heading up to Aberdeen and then Lairg next week for work so will try again on that trip.

Checking out Zapmap chat comments sometimes gives useful info about other people who may have had successful or unsuccessful charges at a particular location (and Live Map - ChargePlace Scotland of course)

If you do go, keep a look out for JosiahLockhart who started this thread - not seen since he was half way round in October. Seemed a nice family....

Still around lurking, but not posting as much... The chargeplace Scotland chargers are variable, but never been left out. I don't have a charger at home, so rely on them. But, due to less travel for work (covid), haven't used many outside the central belt. So, I haven't been up NC500 way in a while, but up in Glencoe last week. Highly recommend the fast charger at the Mountain Resort.

I have just spent a week around Oban after travelling up from Oban in my SR+, and unfortunately had continual problems with Charge Place Scotland Chargers.

In Inveraray, Oban and Arisaig I could not charge using CCS and had to use the AC type 2 connection (limited to 11-12KW). None of the CCS connections would work with a recurring issue of the charge port flashing orange and making a clicking sound. I did manage to connect to the CCS at Glencoe Mountain resort and as such presume it was an issue with the Chargers rather than the car....?

Has anyone else had this issue?

Yes, regrettably I have experienced exactly the same issue. I have never been able to get a charge out of Kinross P&R in the 3 despite no issues with our i3. Also couldn’t get anything out of the Real Food Cafe at Tyndrum rapid charger yesterday, but the one at Glencoe thankfully worked fine.

I understand the issue is with the car software, but perhaps others know more.

I have just returned from the North of Scotland. I used the Chademo charger at Bettyhill on my MS. On both occasions it did not work first time but the Charge Place Scotland help line got it to start with a remote instruction. Also used the type 2 at Wick (Chademo was occupied) and Chademo at Grantown on Spey with no issues. Overall pretty good considering remoteness of location and low population.

Reactions: nandol97
I have just returned from the North of Scotland. I used the Chademo charger at Bettyhill on my MS. On both occasions it did not work first time but the Charge Place Scotland help line got it to start with a remote instruction. Also used the type 2 at Wick (Chademo was occupied) and Chademo at Grantown on Spey with no issues. Overall pretty good considering remoteness of location and low population.
Yeah i think taking a chademo adapter will be useful!