Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SGIP rebate for Powerwall 2 install in SCE territory?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They're not officially capped, but they can't apply until the step opens and they have a huge backlog of customers who've been promised SGIP who ordered as far back as a year ago. When I talked to the rep about SGIP, they said they still had orders from last April that hadn't made it into Step 2 for PG&E and were waiting for Step 3 to open.

They're not officially capped, but they can't apply until the step opens and they have a huge backlog of customers who've been promised SGIP who ordered as far back as a year ago. When I talked to the rep about SGIP, they said they still had orders from last April that hadn't made it into Step 2 for PG&E and were waiting for Step 3 to open.

Yeah, this kind of stuff makes me nervous. I have yet to get confirmation that I am on the waiting list. We signed our contract last September when our sales rep was telling us Step 3. We just finished our install, but I can’t get any confirmation from Tesla Energy that I am on the list. They keep having to check or call me back, and then I never hear back. So I keep calling.

I just don’t want to get the answer “ooops, we forgot to put you on the list, our bad” after Tesla has used up their cap.

Yeah, this kind of stuff makes me nervous. I have yet to get confirmation that I am on the waiting list. We signed our contract last September when our sales rep was telling us Step 3. We just finished our install, but I can’t get any confirmation from Tesla Energy that I am on the list. They keep having to check or call me back, and then I never hear back. So I keep calling.

I just don’t want to get the answer “ooops, we forgot to put you on the list, our bad” after Tesla has used up their cap.
I did not let our install proceed until I had a confirmed SGIP reservation. If it was important to you, you should have done the same.

I did not let our install proceed until I had a confirmed SGIP reservation. If it was important to you, you should have done the same.

They were no longer offering that option. They would not submit my application until my install was complete.

I would have gone with another installer, but they were all price gouging Powerwalls anyway, so it was an even trade off.

They were no longer offering that option. They would not submit my application until my install was complete.

I would have gone with another installer, but they were all price gouging Powerwalls anyway, so it was an even trade off.
So, in essence, they made no guarantee that you would get the incentive at all.

I decided to go with the "price gouging" installer because they got me in Step 1 and I was satisfied with the total price.

I decided to go with the "price gouging" installer because they got me in Step 1 and I was satisfied with the total price.

None of the installers I got bids from garunteed SGIP. I was shopping in Step 2. Most installers didn’t have Powerwalls at all, and couldn’t garuntee they would get them in before the program ran out. The one company other thanTesla that had them in stock wanted $20,000 to install 2 units and that did not include any extra work if my panel had to be upgraded.

So it only cost me $3k extra to go with Tesla if I don’t get the SGIP, but I will gain $6k if I do manage to get Step 3. And I get the satisfaction of not supporting a price gouging installer.

It was worth the gamble, but I will still be pissed if Tesla messes it up from something stupid on their end.

Reactions: abasile

This was what I did with my install. I wanted to get confirmation of my step 2 reservation before anything took place.

I too went with a "price gouging" installer to make sure I got into step 2 and so that I could have my powerwalls sooner rather than later.

Additionally, I used the SGIP rebate submissions as leverage to get the price down on two power walls from the originally quoted $25k to $19.5k.

I am also getting solar with them and I negotiated the panel upgrade as part of the solar (I did two different negotiations: 1) Solar 2) Powerwalls)

Still waiting on permit approval from my city, but at least I have the SGIP rebate reservation.

We had our Power wall installed in Orange County 1 year ago and were told we were one of the first ones.
Still have not received our SGIP rebate!
Has anyone received a rebate from this program?

I just received an e-mail yesterday notifying us that our project has been approved for reimbursement and we should receive payment in approximately 30 days. This was only 10 days after receiving an e-mail indicating that a review would be conducted and an inspection would be conducted by a third-party.

See my latest post in my "SGIP Update e-mail" thread: SGIP Update e-mail for the content of the e-mail.

Edited to add: Our order was placed in April 2017, installation was completed on December 29, 2017. We are in San Diego in SDG&E territory.

As a FYI, I'd recently contacted SCE's SGIP administrator about changing out the battery hardware on an existing battery-rebate reservation due to inventory supply issues ...

Yes one may change out the hardware for another battery -- such as switching from PW2 to LG Chems for instance due to the PW2 supply fubar.

Just have to update SGIP with the changed hardware specs, and note the changes on the final ICF.

• Informative
Reactions: cr0ntab
My 3rd-party installer just notified me they're ready to drop off a couple PW2s, take payment, and then schedule delivery in Jan, 2019. I've been waiting on contract with them since around Mar, 2018.

Is it usual for installers to drop off the HW with so much lead-time? I only got 2 days notice ..

I also need to get details if it's the new Tesla hardware.