Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SGIP Rebate Question - This Legit?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
does anyone know how long these SGIP applications can be done after installation? do they have to be arranged entirely in advance of installation?

in theory we have medical baseline and as it turns out we only had one PSPS event last year. however, we are on such a slow boat with tesla that i'm sure we'll have another PSPS shutdown before our PWs are installed, which in theory would then make us eligible for SGIP ER.

on the other hand, i think from reading other threads i understood that tesla simply does not do this paperwork - is that right?

For equity and resiliency program they do... for "regular" SGIP they have such a large backlog that its unlikely they would process anyones application that is going through it now (again, for "regular" SGIP).

I believe the time frame is up to 12 months after, but I am not sure on that at all. I am hoping so, because I am hoping (but not expecting) that they get to my name in the "waitlist" pile of applications they have, since I did my install Jan of this year.

ok so it would seem i'm SOL on equity resilience unless tesla are willing to submit an application in the event that there is another PSPS before the installation takes place. but maybe it is impossible if the other PGE paperwork has already been filed...

i thought "regular" SGIP was pretty much tapped out, except for the 3 PW installations discussed above...?

one wrinkle i think is that the cost of the system used in the federal ITC calculation is supposed to be net of any rebates, so i wonder if that can be delayed a tax year until the SGIP is resolved? it would suck to deduct the SGIP from the cost for purposes of the ITC and then never get it. maybe you can file an amended return to capture the rest if the SGIP never materializes?

I'm not a CPA, and don't play one on TV, but what I was told when I enquired was that at year end I should file with what I had in hand, and then amend the tax return later if/when things changed, e.g. later getting the SGIP. The lack of clarity on whether and when one might receive SGIP rebates is...annoying, but I remind myself we would be lucky to get it. For the price of a powerwall installation, you can buy an awful lot of fuel and a large generator.

YMMV...

PG&E has been making statements about reducing the areas of the PSPS events. I would hope that those statements might mean that more densely populated areas might not get PSPS events again, though I recognize that if PG&E actually does reduce the PSPS areas that would be a "good news /bad news" result for you.

I hope that helps.

BG

ok so it would seem i'm SOL on equity resilience unless tesla are willing to submit an application in the event that there is another PSPS before the installation takes place. but maybe it is impossible if the other PGE paperwork has already been filed...

i thought "regular" SGIP was pretty much tapped out, except for the 3 PW installations discussed above...?

one wrinkle i think is that the cost of the system used in the federal ITC calculation is supposed to be net of any rebates, so i wonder if that can be delayed a tax year until the SGIP is resolved? it would suck to deduct the SGIP from the cost for purposes of the ITC and then never get it. maybe you can file an amended return to capture the rest if the SGIP never materializes?

Reactions: jjrandorin
does anyone know how long these SGIP applications can be done after installation? do they have to be arranged entirely in advance of installation?

in theory we have medical baseline and as it turns out we only had one PSPS event last year. however, we are on such a slow boat with tesla that i'm sure we'll have another PSPS shutdown before our PWs are installed, which in theory would then make us eligible for SGIP ER.

on the other hand, i think from reading other threads i understood that tesla simply does not do this paperwork - is that right?
Tesla will submit SGIP incentive applications for Powerwalls under the Residential Equity Resiliency program. They did the application for mine. They may limit it to 2 Powerwalls because it gets more complicated after that.

• Informative
Reactions: astrorob
The SGIP form is pretty easy to fill in; the only part that I think is a hang-up is the requirement for a "development key" which identifies that the licensed energy company has been involved with the installation and validates the hardware and configuration.

But, it looks like the SGIP inexplicably caps the amount of total payout a single developer key is able to be allocated in the various tiers. This actively gives a dis-incentive to installers to use their developer key unless they'd lose a potential sale. I guess this means the smaller shops would benefit in some weird way... although no small-time installer near me put their developer key into the mix when giving me recent Powerwall 2 Quotes.

Whatever Vines says his employer is doing with the commercial tier was never brought up to me in any quotes. Tesla themselves said I wasn't eligible for any SGIP when I was in talks with them; and they were pushing 3x Powerwall. A local East-Bay shop even threw a 4x Powerwall configuration with zero SGIP into their proposal.

So I think this SGIP BS is another example of California bureaucracy overly complicating matters. Whatever this program is intended to do is not actually benefiting my household which is on the PG&E Medical baseline and had frequent brownouts and interruptions during the PSPS-fest in 2019.

The SGIP form is pretty easy to fill in; the only part that I think is a hang-up is the requirement for a "development key" which identifies that the licensed energy company has been involved with the installation and validates the hardware and configuration.

But, it looks like the SGIP inexplicably caps the amount of total payout a single developer key is able to be allocated in the various tiers. This actively gives a dis-incentive to installers to use their developer key unless they'd lose a potential sale. I guess this means the smaller shops would benefit in some weird way... although no small-time installer near me put their developer key into the mix when giving me recent Powerwall 2 Quotes.

Whatever Vines says his employer is doing with the commercial tier was never brought up to me in any quotes. Tesla themselves said I wasn't eligible for any SGIP when I was in talks with them; and they were pushing 3x Powerwall. A local East-Bay shop even threw a 4x Powerwall configuration with zero SGIP into their proposal.

So I think this SGIP BS is another example of California bureaucracy overly complicating matters. Whatever this program is intended to do is not actually benefiting my household which is on the PG&E Medical baseline and had frequent brownouts and interruptions during the PSPS-fest in 2019.
I don't understand. If you have a medical baseline and have had multiple PSPSs you should qualify for the Residential Equity Resiliency incentive. There is no developer cap for this program and Tesla will submit the application for you. What is disqualifying you? (not arguing about the bureaucracy part).

Both Sunrun and Tesla didn't think I'd qualify for the Equity Program or the Commercial program. The semantics of their thinking boil down to the concept that it's not clear to me what is a PSPS "red flag". I thought I had PSPS events, but when they looked at my PG&E data they said I didn't.

It's tough for me to tell if my experience in 2019 was a PSPS or if it was just PG&E being an unreliable provider. Apparently just having rolling brownouts and interruptions peppered during a PSPS warning didn't count as a formal PSPS shut-down. Maybe a real PSPS event needs to result in losing power for a whole day or something.

My home is also very close to but not actually in the Tier 2 fire hazard zone.

Regardless, my MIL wanted some partial home backup and that's what she's going to get haha. Basically PG&E sucks; the SGIP is too complicated; and solar+pv installers out here don't seem to know enough to unravel.

I thought I had PSPS events, but when they looked at my PG&E data they said I didn't.

how can you only "think" you had PSPS events? it was a royal pain in the butt for me, having to move all of our food to the mother-in-law's house and then set up a gasoline generator over there to power the freezers and refrigerators. then sit there wondering night after night in the dark if they were ever going to turn on our power again. on one of the nights, i had to take out the trash and some stranger wandered out of the dark on foot asking for directions. which was bizarre as that was the first time anything like that had ever happened to me in 10 years of living here.

It's tough for me to tell if my experience in 2019 was a PSPS or if it was just PG&E being an unreliable provider. Apparently just having rolling brownouts and interruptions peppered during a PSPS warning didn't count as a formal PSPS shut-down. Maybe a real PSPS event needs to result in losing power for a whole day or something.

oh. well see, you weren't really affected then. i can believe the grid would react that way to neighboring pieces being shut off.

• Informative
Reactions: holeydonut
Both Sunrun and Tesla didn't think I'd qualify for the Equity Program or the Commercial program. The semantics of their thinking boil down to the concept that it's not clear to me what is a PSPS "red flag". I thought I had PSPS events, but when they looked at my PG&E data they said I didn't.

My home is also very close to but not actually in the Tier 2 fire hazard zone.

Regardless, my MIL wanted some partial home backup and that's what she's going to get haha. Basically PG&E sucks; the SGIP is too complicated; and solar+pv installers out here don't seem to know enough to unravel.
I got emails warning me that I might have a PSPS, that I will have a PSPS, I'm in a PSPS, and that the PSPS has ended. It sounds like you didn't have any PSPSs. If you have any PSPSs this year I'd look into the SGIP program to see if your installer can apply for the incentive after the Powerwalls been installed.

• Informative
Reactions: holeydonut
Tesla will submit SGIP incentive applications for Powerwalls under the Residential Equity Resiliency program. They did the application for mine. They may limit it to 2 Powerwalls because it gets more complicated after that.

i guess the trick here (mentioned upthread) is actually finding someone at tesla who would agree to do this. my communication with them so far has to be rated D-.

I got emails warning me that I might have a PSPS, that I will have a PSPS, I'm in a PSPS, and that the PSPS has ended. It sounds like you didn't have any PSPSs. If you have any PSPSs this year I'd look into the SGIP program to see if your installer can apply for the incentive after the Powerwalls been installed.

Lol I need to get PG&E to try explaining to my MIL that the house losing intermittent power during dinner time and again at 3am while PG&E is threatening a PSPS isn’t actually a PSPS.

The only thing I know with absolute certainty is that PG&E sucks.

Too bad there are no rebates for PG&E sucking :(

i guess the trick here (mentioned upthread) is actually finding someone at tesla who would agree to do this. my communication with them so far has to be rated D-.
You need to have a preliminary design and cost before Tesla can fill out and submit for a Residential Equity Resiliency incentive. The SGIP guy won't even look at your stuff until then. However, if you have specific questions, ask your advisor and he/she can relay the information.

You need to have a preliminary design and cost before Tesla can fill out and submit for a Residential Equity Resiliency incentive. The SGIP won't even look at your stuff until then. However, if you have specific questions, ask your advisor and he/she can relay the information.

i have a final design. i actually have 2 because they had to redesign in early 2020. the main panel upgrade is now complete. but tesla can't install the powerwalls until november. my assumption is that by then we will have had another PSPS thus making us eligible for RER since we should have medical baseline (that is another ball of wax - because we are on NEM/TOU and already have solar, it could be that medical baseline does not actually apply despite having medical equipment on-site.)

i think i've had 3 or 4 advisors at this point and i have no idea who my current advisor is. my communications over the last 6 months have only been with the scheduling department.

when i signed this contract, the equity resilience SGIP incentive did not even exist. thus my questions about whether or not this stuff can be done 'retroactively'.

i have a final design. i actually have 2 because they had to redesign in early 2020. the main panel upgrade is now complete. but tesla can't install the powerwalls until november. my assumption is that by then we will have had another PSPS thus making us eligible for RER since we should have medical baseline (that is another ball of wax - because we are on NEM/TOU and already have solar, it could be that medical baseline does not actually apply despite having medical equipment on-site.)

i think i've had 3 or 4 advisors at this point and i have no idea who my current advisor is. my communications over the last 6 months have only been with the scheduling department.

when i signed this contract, the equity resilience SGIP incentive did not even exist. thus my questions about whether or not this stuff can be done 'retroactively'.
I would think the incentive could be applied for any time prior to applying for PTO, perhaps even after. But I'm just guessing.

You can download the 2020 SGIP Handbook here (good for insomnia):
SGIP | Resources
There is also a residential equity resiliency matrix in there.

• Informative
I had a good and long conversation with an energy advisor last night, James. I called 725-867-6377 M-F 6 am-6pm PAC.
He looked at my PGE bill that is in my Tesla file/account. It said I had two or more PSPS events and I am Tier 2. I only remember one event and on the map I am just outside zone 2, but PGE considers me in the zone.
I do not have medical baseline on my bill. He said I need a doctors letter re my mothers condition sent to PGE and I need to send Tesla a copy. I don’t know if her internist would write a letter that at 94 she needs air conditioning and it is a life threatening condition and a critical electricity need.
He said Tesla has to submit all the required documentation through them even if it is already in my file with PGE. He said that is just the way it is set up. Maybe that is because the developer has to apply.
James is in the powerwalls advisory section/team so he knew a lot about SGIP. He said he has never seen 3 powerwalls paid for, except one case where they were required for a 2hp well pump. The second hurdle beside the dr letter was that he said I needed to separate my panel order from my powerwalls order to proceed with this. At that realization I decided to stop. I already signed my loan docs and am in the stage of applying for city and PGE approvals and permits. I could get lucky and get through that in 4-5 weeks. Then get an installation date maybe two weeks out. The instal team is out of Petaluma and two weeks or so to get a date now. I don’t know if separating the orders would cancel the $2500 bundle discount for the PWs and would I lose my place in the queue for installation. And the doctor probably won’t write the letter. I will follow this thread and maybe I could apply for SGIP later.
I highly recommend calling the Energy advisor Tel number above to get more information.

I had a good and long conversation with an energy advisor last night, James. I called 725-867-6377 M-F 6 am-6pm PAC.
He looked at my PGE bill that is in my Tesla file/account. It said I had two or more PSPS events and I am Tier 2. I only remember one event and on the map I am just outside zone 2, but PGE considers me in the zone.
I do not have medical baseline on my bill. He said I need a doctors letter re my mothers condition sent to PGE and I need to send Tesla a copy. I don’t know if her internist would write a letter that at 94 she needs air conditioning and it is a life threatening condition and a critical electricity need.
He said Tesla has to submit all the required documentation through them even if it is already in my file with PGE. He said that is just the way it is set up. Maybe that is because the developer has to apply.
James is in the powerwalls advisory section/team so he knew a lot about SGIP. He said he has never seen 3 powerwalls paid for, except one case where they were required for a 2hp well pump. The second hurdle beside the dr letter was that he said I needed to separate my panel order from my powerwalls order to proceed with this. At that realization I decided to stop. I already signed my loan docs and am in the stage of applying for city and PGE approvals and permits. I could get lucky and get through that in 4-5 weeks. Then get an installation date maybe two weeks out. The instal team is out of Petaluma and two weeks or so to get a date now. I don’t know if separating the orders would cancel the $2500 bundle discount for the PWs and would I lose my place in the queue for installation. And the doctor probably won’t write the letter. I will follow this thread and maybe I could apply for SGIP later.
I highly recommend calling the Energy advisor Tel number above to get more information.

"The second hurdle beside the dr letter was that he said I needed to separate my panel order from my powerwalls order to proceed with this." That sounds BS.. Really? Why is that? I have them on same order to get the $2500 bundle discount.

that doesn't sound right - because of covid19 PGE is allowing people to self-certify that they have medical equipment on-site and that certification is good for one year.

certainly for a 94-year old air conditioning seems to be a necessity depending on the climate.

that doesn't sound right - because of covid19 PGE is allowing people to self-certify that they have medical equipment on-site and that certification is good for one year.

certainly for a 94-year old air conditioning seems to be a necessity depending on the climate.

Agree.. Seems to be a typical Tesla rep ill-advising customers. If they don't know they should just say they don't know. Happens a lot with my Model 3 also when I make calls about it.

I have been going through a painful 2 PW install added to a vintage 2013 16kW SolarCity (now Tesla) PV system. The PW install itself required 4 visits from 4 separate Tesla Energy install teams (...don't ask). I found about the PG&E Equity Resiliency SGIP program in February, and qualified as we are in a Tier 2 fire zone, have been through 2 PSPS (longest 5 days), and have a registered PG&E medical baseline need (signed PG&E form/document from your M.D.). I managed after much begging and pestering Tesla Energy to get them to complete and submit the SGIP app on the first open date early in March (I knew that this new pool of funds would go fast). PG&E accepted the app and set aside the funds pending full completion of the PW install, and the full completion and submission of the installation documents. Since mid April I have been trying to get the Tesla Incentives team to finish the app and get all documents back to PG&E. Weekly calls to some random Tesla Energy advisor who have no insight or influence on the Incentives team. Weekly e-mails to like 20 e-mail addresses at Tesla, including Tesla Energy, Tesla Incentives, Tesla Energy Sales, Interconnection team, and individual Tesla staff e-mails (including a couple of Tesla Incentives team members). I never seem to get a reply or update on the status. Typical Tesla communications void. But when I call PG&E SGIP and leave voicemail (they are understaffed and do eventually call back) they tell me that Tesla has not completed and uploaded all of the necessary documents needed by PG&E to release my funds.

Good luck...you will need it.

• Informative
JPP Thanks for your story. Appreciate it. That is so irresponsible on Tesla's side. Did you try other means like directly messaging Elon on Twitter? I know its extreme but sometimes it has worked. You should really be ready to file a lawsuit against Tesla if you end up losing the SGIP rebates. I know I will be if I am in your shoes. Only time will tell as I just ordered solar 3 days back.