Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Shady service center repair?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So my wife brought her X into the Buena Park SC 10 days ago (07/27/19) for various issues like screen notifications (certain safety functions disabled; traction control etc.) and noisy FWD and front doors latch retrofit. Just checking the app throughout this time, they have put 40 miles (presumably for testing) and wore the battery down from 180 to 20 miles. They haven't really updated us until yesterday with this...

67769834_519346032166899_8369441686966763520_n.jpg

I'm feeling a little bit ticked off. Usually I have no issues with this location, as they have always treated us well. But this latest communication is just wierd in my books. First off, they do not address ANY of the initial concerns. Then they bring up a random issue that they came across which seems to be a serious safety issue. We don't go about dismantling parts on the car, so as to why a crucial part would go "missing" just seems very odd. Is it too much to expect them to repair under good will? especially if they notice a safety component is not present? what if it was defective and broke off? or somehow never installed? why wouldn't this be covered under warranty? Secondly, they bring up the price of the repair, and upon agreeing to it they hike it 400%?? In my head, I had expected them to repair for free, and was even fine paying the initial $100 amount, but then all of a sudden get charged $400. I mean, is this considered bait and switch? They had originally contacted my wife but she gave them my information so that I could talk to them. I am expecting a call from them today. On the plus side she has been using a loaner S this whole time for free. She thinks this is Tesla's way of recuperating the rental costs, lol.

What would you guys do in my situation?

1. Complain?
2. Ask for a compromised discount?
3. Refuse repair?
4. Stop bitching and pay "the man"

I would ask for a picture of the missing bolt locations, then ask why it wouldn't be covered under warranty missing bolts is not a wearable part they should cover it 100%, if its not covered by warranty do the repair yourself if you can and make sure the manager knows about the situation it may not be of any help but it you never know.
Make sure you update us about the situation.

So I got the car back yesterday. when I spoke to them a few days prior, they said that the missing bolts were removed. no evidence of any damage (stripped threading, etc) just plain ol removed, which might have ocurred if a tech was working underneath doing any repairs. they searched the repair history but did not find any service done related to this issue, otherwise they would have covered it. AKA someone else did it. this is a 2016 that we purchased from masarati dealership last year so any history before that is unknown if not performed through tesla. They said it's not in a user serviceable location, plus some alignment would need to be performed as the holes didn't match up from a slight shifting due to missing bolts for awhile. long story short, I didn't want the headache of trying to fix something I have no expertise in so I agreed to the repairs and they even met me half way so I didn't have to pay the full amount.

Untitled2.jpg

Reactions: Nogasmn
So I got the car back yesterday. when I spoke to them a few days prior, they said that the missing bolts were removed. no evidence of any damage (stripped threading, etc) just plain ol removed, which might have ocurred if a tech was working underneath doing any repairs. they searched the repair history but did not find any service done related to this issue, otherwise they would have covered it. AKA someone else did it. this is a 2016 that we purchased from masarati dealership last year so any history before that is unknown if not performed through tesla. They said it's not in a user serviceable location, plus some alignment would need to be performed as the holes didn't match up from a slight shifting due to missing bolts for awhile. long story short, I didn't want the headache of trying to fix something I have no expertise in so I agreed to the repairs and they even met me half way so I didn't have to pay the full amount.

You might have included the fact that car was 2016 bought from a used car dealer. A huge hole in the history leaves a lot of room for someone to do some nefarious stuff. Assuming the CarFax was clean when you bought the car, you might want to re-run it now.

People have been know to have an accident. And then when the accident is listed in the CarFax protest it. CarFax policy it to removes it for 90 days while investigating the protest. During that time they sell the car to an unsuspecting dealer or buyer that sees a "clean" CarFax. This happened to on of my kids and she "lost" $5,000 in trade-in value when accident reappeared.