Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Share Your Autopilot Saves for Elon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
“There are a lot of interventions that occur and that we are aware of, but we haven’t really asked customers if we could share the information. It’s actually a good point. We don’t want to put any pressure “like no pressure, only if you want to share it”, but yeah maybe we could sort of ask people in a really low-pressure way.”

Tesla Autopilot reportedly prevented serious injury or saved the life of a pedestrian in DC

I have been saved by autopilot twice. Well one for sure was an accident- didn't get much sleep and autopilot prevented a collision that for sure would have happened without it. The other was a potential side swipe that autopilot may have prevented- hard to say if it would have been an accident for sure without autopilot. Other guy speeding and merging lanes.

Yes! As above write your stories here and we can collect the saves.

I should share in my definitive autopilot save- that autopilot TACC/auto steer was not engaged and 100% saved me from a collision. The collision would have absolutely happened without autopilot. Was merging into a freeway from a ramp whilst not noticing a rapid slowdown in the cars ahead of my self.

Reactions: bonnie
“There are a lot of interventions that occur and that we are aware of, but we haven’t really asked customers if we could share the information. It’s actually a good point. We don’t want to put any pressure “like no pressure, only if you want to share it”, but yeah maybe we could sort of ask people in a really low-pressure way.”

Tesla Autopilot reportedly prevented serious injury or saved the life of a pedestrian in DC

In the example provided, AutoPilot was not activated.

AutoPilot is not recommended for conditions described in this example.

• Disagree
Reactions: calisnow
Yes! As above write your stories here and we can collect the saves.

I should share in my definitive autopilot save- that autopilot TACC/auto steer was not engaged and 100% saved me from a collision. The collision would have absolutely happened without autopilot. Was merging into a freeway from a ramp whilst not noticing a rapid slowdown in the cars ahead of my self.

Did you mean to say that your AutoPilot was engaged? You wrote that AP was not engaged.

The system still prevented the accident. Whether TACC or Autosteer was on is irrelevant in this case because the system is always on regardless of it actively controlling the car. Same hardware and software whether these are activated by the driver or not. The person was prevented from having serious injury/death.

I was in a loaner, AP hardware, pre AP release. The auto braking... saved my ass from rear-ending a car. I was on my way to return the loaner, lazily looking around at all the new things on a road I'm not often on. BAM. car STOPS. just STOPS. My car. I heard noises, I saw red in the dashboard and my chest hit the seat belt. What felt like an eternity later, I figured out what happened. The car in-front of me stopped. My foot was still partially on the GO pedal. This car just saved me from rear-ending someone else. 100% my fault. Looked away for that ONE second. This hardware and design worked perfectly to save me from human self. With such a low speed hit, I'm guessing no one would have been hurt. But you know what's even better? NOT crashing. Thank you to Tesla, and I look forward to my next Tesla, and my wife is anxiously awaiting hers.

Impressive stories. Tesla has language about how automatic emergency braking is only intended to reduce the severity of a collision, not avoid it, and I always wondered whether that was actually true or whether it's just legal CYA stuff. Sounds like it's CYA, which is great! Not that I plan to try it for myself any time soon.

Reactions: xhawk101
In my incident #2, autopilot was active and make a lane change to the right. In the rightmost lane someone was driving below the speed limit and an approaching vehicle was going significantly above the speed limit. I didn't think it would be a problem as I was ahead and felt it would be fine to merge- as The approaching car was significantly behind both of our cars.

While Autosteer was changing lanes the alerts went off. I don't know if AP actively steered, but my feeling is it probably activated- I can't remember- I know myself, autopilot or both had veered left.

I can't definitely say if an accident would have definitely happened without AP- but there is a strong chance that it prevented a potentially disastrous freeway accident.

I honked - the guy was really speeding - I would guess at least 75 in a 55 with traffic going around the speed limit.

Reactions: bonnie
Today I was driving on the Staten Island Expressway, going to Brooklyn. I've done this trip dozens of times and I know the route well. I use Autopilot daily, and feel confident in myself to let the car keep me safe. While I was driving, at around 60mph, 3 cars in front of me in the right lane is where the incident occurred. I have to admit my hands were not on the wheel but I was vigilant. The car I described, tire fell off the car and ripped into shreds. The car behind it swerved and the car behind that one swerved even harder... in my direction. Even if my hands were on the wheel I could not have reacted as fast as Autopilot had, as it all happened in an instant.

I obviously took over immediately and drove to safety. The small brake that autopilot applied was enough to prevent an accident.

I was in a loaner, AP hardware, pre AP release. The auto braking... saved my ass from rear-ending a car. I was on my way to return the loaner, lazily looking around at all the new things on a road I'm not often on. BAM. car STOPS. just STOPS. My car. I heard noises, I saw red in the dashboard and my chest hit the seat belt. What felt like an eternity later, I figured out what happened. The car in-front of me stopped. My foot was still partially on the GO pedal. This car just saved me from rear-ending someone else. 100% my fault. Looked away for that ONE second. This hardware and design worked perfectly to save me from human self. With such a low speed hit, I'm guessing no one would have been hurt. But you know what's even better? NOT crashing. Thank you to Tesla, and I look forward to my next Tesla, and my wife is anxiously awaiting hers.

You're referring to the auto braking feature not AutoPilot correct?

Back in the mists of time, when we only had TACC and not autosteer (nor automatic emergency braking!), I was going about 70MPH while passing a line of cars on the interstate. One of them suddenly decided they wanted to be in my lane, just ahead of me, while going about 50MPH. The car threw up the collision alarm and immediately slowed to match their speed, before I had even really processed what was going on. I'm not sure if I would have hit them had I been left to fend for myself, but it would at least have been very close.

Here are my experiences with AP.

Passenger car on right with lanes merging ahead, car saw it and slowed down to let the car in before I could react.

While changing lanes approaching an intersection from the left lane to the right lane, a motorcycle turned right from the perpendicular direction, car saw it and stopped. Suprised me but that was all.

While on the freeway, left lane opened up and AP starting changing lanes when directed to, pickup truck directly in front of me in the departing lane decided he was going to get in the left lane in front of me, car saw it and corrected by returning to the right lane.

Simliar incidents to the above twice in four days. Moving to the left lane and some one else moves over from two lanes away, car saw it and slowed down to avoid an accident.

I know there are more times, but can't remember them all.

Don't know what you want to call it, just know that any other car would have crashed.

How long under your insurance adjuster says .... "you were on the highway... why didn't you have AutoPilot on"... when the crash occurred?!

As I understand it, the incident you described is a pre-AutoPilot activated Model-S that auto braked for traffic that was coming to a stop in front of you.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you are saying that no other car in the world would have stopped? no other car has an Automatic Emergency Braking system?

• Disagree
Reactions: Model S M.D.
As I understand it, the incident you described is a pre-AutoPilot activated Model-S that auto braked for traffic that was coming to a stop in front of you.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you are saying that no other car in the world would have stopped? no other car has an Automatic Emergency Braking system?

Can we move all these posts by KZKZ including mine to off topic? This is a thread about autopilot saves, not the semantics of auto braking vs auto steering.

Last edited:
When downloading the vehicle logs here: https://upload.teslamotors.com/ are owners able to see the logs or are they encrypted so that only Tesla Service can read them?

I'm asking because it would be cool to back up some stories with data and make them more credible to counter the media attention on the crash. Crashes always have pictures. People love pictures.

They are no pictures when there's no crash. Vehicle logs are the pictures.