TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Shareholders vote 2014 shareholders meeting

Discussion in 'TSLA Investor Discussions' started by Chickenlittle, Jun 6, 2014.

1. Chickenlittle

Chickenlittle Active Member

Of course elon voted in but what I am astounded by is that there were more than 2 million votes against him. Ok the one who didn't get the job as vice CEO was probably one vote but who else? Was it a butterfly ballot with dangling punch outs? Who did they want? The self proposed vice chairman?

2. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

I didn't understand what this vote was for. Can someone explain it in idiots terms for me? I don't like all the political mumbo jumbo lol

3. evme

evme Member

4. Chickenlittle

Chickenlittle Active Member

5. uselesslogin

uselesslogin Enthusiast

It says they were withheld not against. Do you know what the difference is?

6. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Active Member

Withheld just means you didn't vote on that issue. I could be wrong, but I suspect between Elon, JB, and the other early employees and board members and big shareholders (like Mercedes, Toyota), they pretty much have 50% of the votes anyways....

7. uselesslogin

uselesslogin Enthusiast

OK, and it makes sense now that I look at the voting form again. Sorry I did not vote my shares. I didn't realize the only options were "for" and "withhold."

8. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Actually it's a little more complicated than that. In the case of an unopposed election the candidate only needs one vote to win so there's no point in voting against a shareholder proposal; to "withhold" your vote is therefore the prescribed method of expressing your dissatisfaction with a candidate. It's very different from abstaining or not voting at all.

Here's the SEC page on voting mechanics