Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Shareholders vote 2014 shareholders meeting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Of course elon voted in but what I am astounded by is that there were more than 2 million votes against him. Ok the one who didn't get the job as vice CEO was probably one vote but who else? Was it a butterfly ballot with dangling punch outs? Who did they want? The self proposed vice chairman?

Withheld just means you didn't vote on that issue. I could be wrong, but I suspect between Elon, JB, and the other early employees and board members and big shareholders (like Mercedes, Toyota), they pretty much have 50% of the votes anyways....

Withheld just means you didn't vote on that issue. I could be wrong, but I suspect between Elon, JB, and the other early employees and board members and big shareholders (like Mercedes, Toyota), they pretty much have 50% of the votes anyways....
OK, and it makes sense now that I look at the voting form again. Sorry I did not vote my shares. I didn't realize the only options were "for" and "withhold."

Withheld just means you didn't vote on that issue.

Actually it's a little more complicated than that. In the case of an unopposed election the candidate only needs one vote to win so there's no point in voting against a shareholder proposal; to "withhold" your vote is therefore the prescribed method of expressing your dissatisfaction with a candidate. It's very different from abstaining or not voting at all.

Here's the SEC page on voting mechanics