Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Shifting into Park Issue - Great Service Experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On Sunday (2/5), the park button on the gear shift in my 5 week old 90D suddenly stopped working. I tried rebooting everything and turning the car fully off and on, but that didn't do anything. It would still go into park if I opened the driver's door, however.

Roadside Assistance told me I needed to take it into a service center and opened a case for me. They offered to pick it up that day, but since the car wasn't unsafe to drive and I am only 20 miles from the San Rafael Service Center, I opted to drive it over myself on Monday. I dropped it off in the morning and asked them to also fix the driver's side mirror which wasn't unfolding completely and was loose. The park button issue was not one they had really seen before. They gave me a P85 loaner, which was interesting to drive. I enjoyed the rain-sensing wipers! I did not enjoy the fact that the cruise control stalk was quite large and on top and I kept hitting it when I tried to use the turn signals. I did not test out any of the P aspects.

I was pleasantly suprised to get a call early this afternoon that the car was ready for pickup. They replaced the mirror and all seems fine with that for now. I know some people have been told it is a software problem, but for me, it does seem to have been hardware. It turns out the steering column control module was faulty, so they replaced that and now the park button works again.

Having read some horror stories about service centers on here, I was quite pleasantly surprised with how quickly they repaired the car. One other nice touch was that I had brought my own FasTrak to pay the toll going across the Richmond-San Rafael Bridge. I tried to get it to read by holding it up to the dotted area next to the rear view mirror, but it didn't work. I mentioned it when I got there and offered to pay the toll, but they refused and said it was fine for it to get charged to them. I know it's not a huge sum of money, but I thought it was nice.

Overall, it was a great first service experience, although I would have preferred not to have had issues at all, of course!

Glad things worked for you.

Yes, there are a lot of complaints here. Not as many compliments like yours. Probably because people are more likely to complain than compliment.

BTW, my service center here in SLC has always been great. In fact just today they offered to let me take one of their loaners home just so I could use it to check out my home's wifi connection (it's been having troubles connecting and staying connected to my S). :)

Reactions: ModelX
BTW, my service center here in SLC has always been great. In fact just today they offered to let me take one of their loaners home just so I could use it to check out my home's wifi connection (it's been having troubles connecting and staying connected to my S). :)

Darn, I should have thought to check the Wifi connection with the loaner while I had it. I've had some issues with our car connecting, but I think it's probably our network. Good luck with the troubleshooting.