Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Shocked by the new Roadster rolling out of the Tesla Semi!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have differing opinions, your insult is just that. I'd advise you keep such to yourself next time, towards whomever. We're anonymous here.

I didn't see @JRP3 's post as insulting. It pointed out some fundamental factors that seem to be lost upon some folks.

And as for opinions, I'll point out your posts are full of opinions... most of them on what Tesla should do... with statements along the lines they aren't being "the best they can be", etc... So I'd suggest a little circumspection on "insulting opinions".

Reactions: JRP3
I didn't see @JRP3 's post as insulting. It pointed out some fundamental factors that seem to be lost upon some folks.

And as for opinions, I'll point out your posts are full of opinions... most of them on what Tesla should do... with statements along the lines they aren't being "the best they can be", etc... So I'd suggest a little circumspection on "insulting opinions".
I offer opinions indeed, and don't intend to be the blind raving fanboy I actually used to be for a while. I aim to use my insights to inform others, and to encourage them to do better. In my own work in auttomotive, I am open to such feedback as it's important to know what enthusiasts care for. Outsiders are not in the box, and don't have clouded judgment.

Some rave when they hear about 200kWh. I ask, at which cost, or thanks to which total revolution in battery technology.
Many rave about the 0-60 under 2 seconds they think they witnessed, and I don't doubt that actually. Glad someone did it, with street legal tires. It had to be done, as it was possible to be done. If someone shoots a postal elastic band over 5 meters, but 7 seems theoetically possible at sea level considering maximum tension and correct release angle, in my opinion, that needs to be done. Tesla did it. Good on them.
However, sub 2 seconds was announced, so making good on that is not great feat. They merely backed up a claim. I had no doubt they could do it. When they'd get around to do it was unsure. It seemed to be on the table though, else giving a Roadster away to referring customers would be especially cruel. Most will no afford the import and/or insurance on one anyway. Someone that rich will not usually be as active in earning referrals.
The way Tesla gives half info, seemingly as a policy, is starting to get to me.
Semi is launched, worst case range given, not battery size. Roadster is launched, battery size and range given, not HOW.
On Model 3, they are intensionally setting specs lower than officially documented. 75kWh max turns out to have been untrue, despite calls that seem to have disappointed in terms of density gains.

I am an independent critical thinker. That this generates resistance amongst (other) fanboys is understandable. But my knowledge seems to be at least average for these forums. Quiz me :p

• Informative
Reactions: Vern Padgett
$683M in deposits at the end of 2017q3 suggests this number to be above half a million.
If I remember correctly as a total Tesla nitwit, this figure included also deposits received for Model S and X. Albeit a shorer waiting line, the deposits per car car be sonsiderably higher. If we were to assume 9,000 cars per month, with a 2-month delivery time after deposit, and an average $100,000 purshase cost for 20% (blind guess) deposit, that adds up to $360 Million. Adjust figures as you feel is correct. I would not be surprised that your personal estimate, if accepting should be considered apart of the $683M, would be a 9-figure amount just as the amount seemingly the point of discussion.

It was an observation based on your comments. How you took it is not in my control.
You don't like my opinion and offer yours about my person as knowing little about automotive and Tesla. The disagreement is fine, the conclusion is not très chique. I've been a Tesla fanboy for about 3 years now. Few details escape my attention, and I've been contributing to technical discussion on this forum, not wooing at Tesla events.
Just offer people your disagreement, perhaps with argumentation. We already have some outright douchebags driving Teslas, we don't need any foul attitude on the forums, surely.

Reactions: mmd
What about average time for a deposit to be held, and delivered average car price?

I placed my order for 6 months lead time (there was about to be a price increase). I think 6 months is the max. (At the time it was the max allowed in UK to be entitled to the government subsidy)

Looking on Tesla Designer just now it said "March delivery", but of course for Europe that includes the car having to travel across the Pond. So perhaps shorter minimum delivery period in USA.

I imagine most people order for the minimum period ... but I may be completely wrong!

should Tesla take a month on average to take a deposit into income, this increases the size of "deposit" account more

Sorry, I don't understand that.

I don't know how many people cancel during the "cooling off period", I did :) and I can tell you that it took a very long time for them to get around to returning your money. I think it was over 3 weeks. "The manager has to approve it and hes very busy" ... (The price increase didn't happen, I wanted maximum lead time, so I cancelled and re-ordered before the actual price increase a few weeks later)

Reactions: WillK
Sorry, I don't understand that.
Apologies, I'm not a native English speaker. Let me try to rephrase.

From the moment of sale, the balance of the purshase price arriving in Tesla's account, how long might they take to move the associated deposit amount from reserve/escrow to "income"? Let's say, they take some return policy into account, the money could sit there for a half year on average. Meaning, in their deposits account, there will be half a year's deposits even if the average delivery time is 3 months. Oh well, more off topic speculation because Tesla is vague and we all just dissect every detail...

I understand now, thanks you, but don't know the answer. And I can't speak Dutch, and I certainly can't pronounce Scheveningen !

As an aside: I don't think the money was ever in escrow, there was just an "allowance" for it in the accounts, in case it had to be refunded.

I understand now, thanks you, but don't know the answer. And I can't speak Dutch, and I certainly can't pronounce Scheveningen !

As an aside: I don't think the money was ever in escrow, there was just an "allowance" for it in the accounts, in case it had to be refunded.
Schevingen is not to be pronounced but to be avoided ;-)

I read that recently yes, they didn't create a special account for it, just make sure to keep the account above the formal reservations level. Apparently. At least at month's end ;-)