Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Shocked by the new Roadster rolling out of the Tesla Semi!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You're describing escrow. Tesla has been very clear that the money is not in escrow. It's not even held separately at all from the rest of their cash. It's part of the agreement you have to confirm when you make your reservation (did you not read it?). Section 4: "You understand that we will not hold your Reservation Payment separately or in an escrow or trust fund or pay any interest on your Reservation Payment"

Not escrow, just accounting. They can't recognize it as income until they actually earn it. It is separate as an accounting category. I believe FSD is also in the same category, promised, paid for, but not yet delivered. As things are delivered they can recognize the deposits and prepayments officially as income.

• Disagree
Reactions: gowthamn
Not escrow, just accounting. They can't recognize it as income until they actually earn it. It is separate as an accounting category. I believe FSD is also in the same category, promised, paid for, but not yet delivered. As things are delivered they can recognize the deposits and prepayments officially as income.

The Tesla Agreement You Were Supposed To Have Read said:
You understand that we will not hold your Reservation Payment separately.

Reactions: gowthamn
Holding a payment separately is not synonymous with tracking payments via accounting. Some things legally require a deposit to be in a completely separate account. Rental security deposits in Pennsylvania for instance.You can't co-mingle the monies. Tesla is saying they will not have separate account, but will track the balance.

Of course they're tracking the balance. But the simple fact is, it's cash-on-hand. Tesla both collects the interest and can spend the cash at any time; they simply have a debt obligation to you. It's not in some sort of "lockbox" that Tesla can't touch. They go through pains to emphasize that in the reservation agreement.

Of course they're tracking the balance. But the simple fact is, it's cash-on-hand. Tesla both collects the interest and can spend the cash at any time; they simply have a debt obligation to you. It's not in some sort of "lockbox" that Tesla can't touch. They go through pains to emphasize that in the reservation agreement.

Yep, let's face it: Roadster reservations are a financing round for Tesla.

There is no other way to put it three years in advance.

Yep, let's face it: Roadster reservations are a financing round for Tesla.

There is no other way to put it three years in advance.

Tooling and development for the Roadster isn't free. If they don't get the money from future purchasers, they need to cut the other things they are working on to get it done. So yeah, the Roadster deposits are a financing round for the Roadster.

3.5 billion reasons to disagree.

You realize that Tesla has only purchased the tooling for 5k/week, right, not the full 10k? That's a huge outstanding purchase that hasn't been made yet. They're expected to be running a deficit all of 2018 (and forecasts are about evenly mixed on 2019). Analysts have been predicting that Tesla will need a 2018 capital round, with the main dispute simply being over when. Bloomberg, for example, thinks "mid-2018". Goldman Sachs thinks some time in Q3. They're currently running a loss of $8k per minute. Do the math. And don't forget that Model 3 doesn't have 25% margins yet. They're merely hoping to hit breakeven on it by the end of Q4, and that's with typical Tesla optimism ;)

Tesla needs cash. And a couple hundred million dollars could be the difference between having to dilute stock and not having to dilute it. The Roadster reservation money isn't going toward the Roadster. It's going toward Model 3 tooling, so that the Model 3 can pay for the Roadster. And Semi. And Model Y.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vern Padgett
People have been clamoring for a more affordable EV from the beginning. If people want a 100kWh pack they can buy a Model S. If you look at the existing Model 3 80kWh pack you can see there is no room for more cells. So no, Tesla could not have offered the Model 3 with a 100kWh pack. Since demand for the Model 3 is far beyond what Tesla can build it doesn't really matter that some people would have wanted a 100kWh pack.
Tesla reported that the motors are placed inside the wheelsbase contrary to the S&X's. Someone could enlighten my why the same motors and placement would be inpossible for Model 3. Popular belief is that Model 3 is a small car. It's slightly narrower than Model S, and has its nose and bum chopped off a bit. But otherwise? And there are the luggage compartments Model S&X have a double stacked module on here.

$250K for a car built around a $20K pile of cells on board. I think I'd just like a trailer with battery floor and extracargo space, in caseI need to go long (and slow) away from any chargers.

You know, it's funny. "Back in the day" used to be a big supporter of the concept of genset trailers (like the AC Propulsion Long Ranger), that people could rent or share as needed for long trips. Supercharging greatly decreased the need for such a thing, and I lost interest. But even if a range-extending trailer was needed... you're right, with today's tech, you might as well just use a battery trailer ;)

You realize that Tesla has only purchased the tooling for 5k/week, right, not the full 10k? That's a huge outstanding purchase that hasn't been made yet. They're expected to be running a deficit all of 2018 (and forecasts are about evenly mixed on 2019). Analysts have been predicting that Tesla will need a 2018 capital round, with the main dispute simply being over when. Bloomberg, for example, thinks "mid-2018". Goldman Sachs thinks some time in Q3. They're currently running a loss of $8k per minute. Do the math.

Model 3 spending should easily be covered by cash on hand, with more than a $1 billion to spare. I agree Roadster deposits are financing future growth [MY? Semi? Roadster?], but it shouldn’t be needed for the Model 3.

Tesla reported that the motors are placed inside the wheelsbase contrary to the S&X's. Someone could enlighten my why the same motors and placement would be inpossible for Model 3. Popular belief is that Model 3 is a small car. It's slightly narrower than Model S, and has its nose and bum chopped off a bit. But otherwise? And there are the luggage compartments Model S&X have a double stacked module on here.
I'm not sure why you want Tesla to recreate the Model S. They already have that vehicle. The double stacked battery section is in the front of the S pack and not where a luggage compartment would sit so I'm not sure what your point is.

I'm not sure why you want Tesla to recreate the Model S. They already have that vehicle. The double stacked battery section is in the front of the S pack and not where a luggage compartment would sit so I'm not sure what your point is.
Tesla is selling $80+ cars, basically. But with the mass scale of Model 3, they could make a very similar car, without the cut down front and back, at basically the same cost as Model 3. Would I want a much cheaper version that is basically the car? Euhm, yeah...!
In my openion, Model 3 is too big and too expensive. What would it could Tesla extra, seriously, to have a mode Model S front with huge old style frunk? It's just not the best car they can make with their cost structure (cheaper batteries than anyone). But my opinion usually takes a number of years to get mainstream acceptance :)