Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Shoot -- my brand new model 3 doesn't have enough ground clearance!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just picked up my brand new Model 3 stealth performance today. Fun! My garage is a tight fit, and one thing I hadn't considered is ground clearance. My assumption was that the car would be fine without the performance suspension. I suppose I was wrong. Any suggestions on how to raise the car an inch or two, or should I start the return process?

Thanks!

Similar situation -- the car has no issues backing into the driveway, but I suppose the wheel base is long enough that it ends up bottoming out as I start down the decline into the garage. The front wheels are slightly lower going up an incline and the back wheels are going down a steep incline into my garage if that makes sense. I'm considering the Mountain Pass lift kit.

I guess to be more technically correct, I failed to calculate this :) Breakover angle - Wikipedia

Last edited:
MPP 1.75″ Suspension Lift Kit

You can put all-terrain tires on at the same time and you’ll have the first serious offroad Model 3. Kidding aside, the Black Friday sale of 10% off with coupon code IENJOYSHARPEDGES ends Dec 1st at midnight EST. Good time to order a set now since MPP stuff rarely goes on sale.

You can also try 255/45/18 tires on your stock 18” rims. That will give you about 1/3” in height without lifting the body with the MPP kit.

Reactions: markusg
MPP 1.75″ Suspension Lift Kit

You can put all-terrain tires on at the same time and you’ll have the first serious offroad Model 3. Kidding aside, the Black Friday sale of 10% off with coupon code IENJOYSHARPEDGES ends Dec 1st at midnight EST. Good time to order a set now since MPP stuff rarely goes on sale.

I suppose my timing is right... nothing like getting home with your brand new car and realizing you can't get it in your garage to charge! Now I just need to find something to install these... seems over my head.

Random question -- the M3P- or stealth isn't any lower than your typical M3 correct? What about new tires or wheels? Are those options?

I mentioned maybe using 255/35/18 tires. Stock tires are 26.3” tall and the 255/35/18 will be 27” tall, so you’ll gain about 0.35” of clearance. The stealth is the same height as other Model 3’s except the performance 3 which is lower by about 20mm or 3/4”.

I mentioned maybe using 255/35/18 tires. Stock tires are 26.3” tall and the 255/35/18 will be 27” tall, so you’ll gain about 0.35” of clearance. The stealth is the same height as other Model 3’s except the performance 3 which is lower by about 20mm or 3/4”.

I don't think that'll be enough, sadly. I imagine bigger diameter wheels do not equal more clearance due to slimmer tires?

I don't think that'll be enough, sadly. I imagine bigger diameter wheels do not equal more clearance due to slimmer tires?

It's the overall tire diameter that is relevant. You could have bigger wheels and smaller overall diameter, or vice versa.

Where are you located? Shouldn't be hard to find a shop to install the lift kit.

Alternatively, you could use wooden boards (which is what I did). Cheap and easy to install.

Similar situation -- the car has no issues backing into the driveway, but I suppose the wheel base is long enough that it ends up bottoming out as I start down the decline into the garage. The front wheels are slightly lower going up an incline and the back wheels are going down a steep incline into my garage if that makes sense. I'm considering the Mountain Pass lift kit.

I guess to be more technically correct, I failed to calculate this :) Breakover angle - Wikipedia

Are you scraping the center bottom or front/back bumper?

My driveway will high center if I don't approach the peak at a 45 degree angle. Approaching at an angle will have one front tire and one rear tire at the peak at the same time providing enough clearance, in my case.

Are you scraping the center bottom or front/back bumper?

My driveway will high center if I don't approach the peak at a 45 degree angle. Approaching at an angle will have one front tire and one rear tire at the peak at the same time providing enough clearance, in my case.

Center. Sadly, I can’t approach at an angle. It’s a super narrow San Francisco driveway with retaining walls on both sides.

• Informative
Reactions: dduffey
I ordered the MPP lift kit, but that doesn't come in until the end of December. In the meantime, some pressure treated plywood did the trick. :)

IMG_3270.JPG
IMG_3271 (1).JPG

Glad you got it in the garage to charge. Thanks for the photos. We have the opposite situation where our driveway goes up to the garage. My husband’s MS has air suspension however. Our town also loves speed bumps so SAS with geofencing was nice to have. If I’m remembering correctly the Los Gatos SC location thread mentions the access there has some tough angles with scraped pavement.

Reactions: markusg