Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Shops that won't change tires - List

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SabrToothSqrl

Dec 5, 2014
PA
  • Disagree
Reactions: jaguar36
Best guess is? The docs they have available do not have liftpoint maps or torque settings or brake/bearing inspection procedures. Nor TPMS compatible tool for Tesla, which is a legal requirement.

Tesla isn't exactly Ford when it comes to service. Tesla does not want you to do your own work, nor have any competition for their service centers.

Yes, you can seriously fk up a sports car by lifting it wrong. Or you can kill an employee. Or you can damage the hub by overtorque, or have a wheel fall off from undertorque. If the brake has a noticeable problem, and they release the car, YOU will sue them for far more than their $40 per wheel mount and balance and insurance rate.

I would NOT do exotics personally. Those who are serious owners do their own wheels/brakes/suspensions, those who aren't serious probably do not take of the cars other than wax them. And they tend to biitch about little things- "Brakes make noise" - Did you bed them properly and let the cool?

• Informative
Reactions: PtG62901
Why would you go outside tesla anyway. Their tires with installation are very inexpensive
I don't completely agree with that. I also didn't appreciate their recent attempt to "sell" me on new tires. I recently had my car in the SvC and the advisor called me in a panic to tell me that I NEEDED new tires, as one was down to 1/32 and others were below 3. I have new tires sitting in my garage, waiting to be mounted (most likely not until next spring, as I run winters half the year). I declined the offer to have new tires installed and was a little ticked off when I measured them after the car was returned. All tires were easily 4-5/32, with some measurements exceeding that.

That said, their prices aren't outrageous, but you certainly can do better on most tires.

I've actually been recently discussing with some family members about pooling together and purchasing a tire changer/balancer. I would LOVE to be able to avoid going to the tire shop all together.

Reactions: dhrivnak
with doing over 18 tires this summer, i also considered my own balancer...
boat = 4 tires
jet skis = 2
Tahoe = 4
Tesla = 8 (4 + now)
but you have to have it maintained and that cost is a lot...

my closest SC is a 80 mile one way drive. also there tire prices are crazy, and they don't road force balance.

TR is $120/tire for RSA-2s + $15 ship = $135/each. Serv. Center was like $200/tire?!
all these places install tires. PSI is 45, torque is 130 (i think). and the lift points can be seen under the vehicle. No TPMS needed. just replacing the tire.

It's a tire. all of these places replace tires. I'm not asking them to swap out the battery.

if someone knows the real cost of a road force balancer, I'd consider splitting one...

Reactions: dhrivnak
I don't completely agree with that. I also didn't appreciate their recent attempt to "sell" me on new tires. I recently had my car in the SvC and the advisor called me in a panic to tell me that I NEEDED new tires, as one was down to 1/32 and others were below 3. I have new tires sitting in my garage, waiting to be mounted (most likely not until next spring, as I run winters half the year). I declined the offer to have new tires installed and was a little ticked off when I measured them after the car was returned. All tires were easily 4-5/32, with some measurements exceeding that.

That said, their prices aren't outrageous, but you certainly can do better on most tires.

I've actually been recently discussing with some family members about pooling together and purchasing a tire changer/balancer. I would LOVE to be able to avoid going to the tire shop all together.
Not my experience T all. 175 dollars a tire mounted and balanced. Nissan charged me 600 dollars a tire also 19 inch

Not my experience T all. 175 dollars a tire mounted and balanced. Nissan charged me 600 dollars a tire also 19 inch
That doesn't really tell us much, though. Tires vary substantially in cost based on the exact dimensions. The diameter alone doesn't tell the whole picture, and Tesla uses thick (thus cheaper) sidewalls on the 19"s to maintain a consistent aspect ratio. The most expensive tire in Tesla's size on TireRack is $340. $600 would be robbery. In contrast, I see at least a few modern Nissans with tire prices pushing into the $500 range on TireRack. Depends on the model, though.

I'll note that I was quoted by Tesla at $300 + $30 for one OEM 19" Michelin MXM4 back in 2013. They're usually right around there on TireRack (currently $292), so they're pretty competitive. Just not half the retail cost competitive.

• Informative
Reactions: Ciaopec
Not sure if it's different in the US, but in Australia wheel balancing is included free when you buy new tires.
If you want to get an existing wheel balanced the price ranges $10 - $18 per wheel (about $8 - $15 USD) depending which shop you go to.

That is true of many shops here, however nothing is free :( they just include the cost in the price of the tire...