Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2013

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Day traders short covering? I've noticed there tends to be a rise in price right up to close.

I've noticed that too.

I can only conclude that there are people who want to buy TSLA, but they are afraid... they want to see if there is carnage or stability through the day, and make their decision at the end. In this case it was pretty much an unchanged day by the end, so the last-minute buying caused it to climb.

George was 60. Even though he was awesome, at that age you seriously shouldn't be expected to

1. Globe trot around the world
2. Work 60+ hours a week (what is necessary with Tesla in its growth phase)
3. Not spend time with your grand kids (he seems like a decent human being)

I think it's fair that he retired. He already laid the foundation and what you have to realize is he set the retail strategy, but Ron Johnson actually made the stores.

George is a very good man. While I think TM will truck along don't underestimate his value to this company. I believe he will be greatly missed. I am sad to see him go but happy for him and his family. I owe him a beer or two at his favorite Main Street watering hole. Thanks GB

Fortune magazine today named Elon Musk as its Businessperson of the Year: http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2013/11/21/teslas-elon-musk-is-fortune-businessperson-of-the-year/

OK, is there anything ELSE today?

1) Consumer Reports gets a 99% positive response in a survey of Tesla Model S drivers, the highest they've ever seen.
2) News that George Blankenship has retired comes out
3) Elon Musk wins the Forbes Businessperson Of The Year award!

Slow news day... nothing about fires.

- - - Updated - - -

George is a very good man. While I think TM will truck along don't underestimate his value to this company. I believe he will be greatly missed. I am sad to see him go but happy for him and his family. I owe him a beer or two at his favorite Main Street watering hole. Thanks GB

Ditto. As a stockholder I want to reduce the number of negative news items that emerge ;). Notwithstanding that position of prejudice, I don't think this is a negative issue for Tesla. GB hasn't been seen in months (and even in his last few months of actual tenure, he wasn't very visible, especially for a marketing guy), so it was almost on the cards that he was leaving. I think he served the company well and of course we all wish him well too.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by brysondadviewpost-right.pngwrong. MSFT hasn't announced new CEO yet, but we all know Ballmer is leaving

Stephen Elop?....

Actually Alan Mulally has the inside track right now, even at age 68..

FUD Watch

The Wall Street Journal visits the LA Auto Show and posts a video with a threatening headline:
Video - Move Over Tesla! Electric Luxury Car Market Heats Up - WSJ.com

But the journalist is clueless about the cars and the luxury car market. His strangest habit is to confuse the terms "hybrid" and "plug-in," as if pure EVs don't get plugged in too.

I think the headline should be:
Relax Tesla! Electric Luxury Car Market Has No Competition

The Wall Street Journal visits the LA Auto Show and posts a video with a threatening headline:

But the journalist is clueless about the cars and the luxury car market. His strangest habit is to confuse the terms "hybrid" and "plug-in," as if pure EVs don't get plugged in too.

Agree. It looks like the press in the USA is very much biased against Tesla. To this concern I would like to point out a video that I posted in this thread:

A sad answer to Elon's question about Tesla Model S fires

Well, it is called the Short Term Movements thread.

Perhaps you would prefer it to be called the "TSLA Lovers Only, No-One Who Would Besmirch Us Need Enter" thread?

It takes all sorts of opinions, and a savvy reader, to gain anything useful from a thread of this nature. I have sold high, bought lower quite a few times now. Doesn't make me a hater of the stock or the company. I am just trying to make money. And I just ordered the car. I think if everyone was truly 100% long, this thread wouldn't have any posts in it, because no-one would care if the stock fell.

SPEAKING of the stock... I am starting to think we have passed the bottom point (that being around $120). There are just too many buyers around at the $120 level.

There is a difference between fearmongering and reasoned analysis, though. DaveT talked a lot about selling calls in the 190s, so did Curt. They did so for good reasons, and explained those reasons, instead of making things up or getting emotional. Then we all had a discussion over whether we thought it was a good idea, and some people did and some people didn't.

Now we're just seeing a lot of chicken littles getting too emotional. Saying "sorry guys, I've lost too much for my risk tolerance, I'm getting protective puts or selling or whatever else" is one thing. But I haven't seen much in the way of that recently, mostly craziness.

Something important to remember about any product is that if other products get introduced to market as an "x-killer," that means "x" is currently the benchmark of awesomeness in that market, means it's fully dominant, everyone knows it's dominant, and any new product will have to compete hard to be able to take it off of it's perch.

In short, this is a good thing. Also, things which are talked about as "x-killers" invariably fail to kill x.

Last edited:
There is a difference between fearmongering and reasoned analysis, though. DaveT talked a lot about selling calls in the 190s, so did Curt. They did so for good reasons, and explained those reasons, instead of making things up or getting emotional. Then we all had a discussion over whether we thought it was a good idea, and some people did and some people didn't.

Now we're just seeing a lot of chicken littles getting too emotional. Saying "sorry guys, I've lost too much for my risk tolerance, I'm getting protective puts or selling or whatever else" is one thing. But I haven't seen much in the way of that recently, mostly craziness.

Something important to remember about any product is that if other products get introduced to market as an "x-killer," that means "x" is currently the benchmark of awesomeness in that market, means it's fully dominant, everyone knows it's dominant, and any new product will have to compete hard to be able to take it off of it's perch.

In short, this is a good thing. Also, things which are talked about as "x-killers" invariably fail to kill x.

Agree. Steve Jobs has passed away and I do not believe that Apple will innovate anymore. However, I've tried all the phones out there. My brother was an Engineer in the cellphone space and likes to use watch me use phones to benchmark them. Nothing can kill Apple yet are the conclusion we reached so far. Apple, had too much of a tech lead over the others. Just like Tesla has so far. Battery tech: 10 year lead, drive train: 10 year lead, Super charger: 2 year lead, AI driving: 6 years lag. TTune: 1 year lead.

Tablet however, Apple only enjoyed a 1 year lead so we are seeing others catch up. Especially MS's surface pro. So that lead time till competitors come up with an offering is very important IMO.

Funny that they mention the i3 first in the video. I was in downtown LA this past weekend and walked through the parking lot where the i3's were. All I can say is that if you think it was ugly in photos, it's even uglier in person.

Funny that they mention the i3 first in the video. I was in downtown LA this past weekend and walked through the parking lot where the i3's were. All I can say is that if you think it was ugly in photos, it's even uglier in person.

Agree. In Rome there are three BMW stores but BMW is showing and selling the BMW i3 only in one store.
Maybe that they are afraid to show the i3 too much? :scared:

It doesn't surprise me at all. If one has been following the media reporting around the i3 from when it was unvieled a few months ago you will see that very often they always try to show it from certain angles to make it look less ugly haha, they rarely show a 360 degree view of the car. That car is a fail in so many ways......

Agree. In Rome there are three BMW stores but BMW is showing and selling the BMW i3 only in one store.
Maybe that they are afraid to show the i3 too much? :scared:

It doesn't surprise me at all. If one has been following the media reporting around the i3 from when it was unvieled a few months ago you will see that very often they always try to show it from certain angles to make it look less ugly haha, they rarely show a 360 degree view of the car. That car is a fail in so many ways......

Perhaps the best way to sell the car is not to show it? Haha.

In all honesty, one does not need a 360 view of the car to see how ugly it is. When I walked up to the car, I saw it from the front and didn't need to go any further. How sad is it that the front view of the car alone is aesthetically displeasing?

For some reason, the appearance of the i3 reminds me of that tow truck (Mater) from the Pixar movie Cars:

MaterCars.jpg
bmw-i3-electric-car-2014-01.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.