Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2013

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A very wise position.

Remember: you are only taxed on the gains. And if you enter a new position , then you will again be taxed only on the gains from there.

So many people have lost money trying to do the tax thing.

My rules are:

first: max out the tax free account
second: after that ignore taxes, just go after all the profits you can get

Be happy.

The tax situation may be rather different for Americans. For us capital gains are taxed at a significantly higher rate, if realized after less than a year. For many owners of TSLA shares the gains this year have been huge. For Americans who may be concerned about a drop in share price, it might be wiser to hold the shares for at least a year and buy insurance by hedging with options.

so the million dollar questions. Buy puts at market open tomorrow and grab some tesla tuesday bear run?

I wanted to do that when i saw it come back down to 170 but i was out on the water, working, so its not like i could tell my customer hold on while i i play the stock market. I think i already missed much of the up side on that play but i still think there are some profits to be made come a tesla tuesday.

Let's keep things in perspective. Today TSLA shares finished up 1.47% at an all-time closing high and above the note conversion criterion of $161.88. If a shareholder only reviews closing prices, he would be quite pleased and would be in the majority. Of course those in the minority that are glued to the charts all day can become easily rattled and shaken out while watching wide intra-day swings. That is the hope of the hedge funds with their bots.

If 1.47% seems puny, keep in mind that if the price for each of 250 trading days in a year gains 1.47% over the previous day, the price would have multiplied 38.4 times. That would imply a single TSLA share price a year from now of over $6,300. Of course that won't happen, but it reminds us to be appreciative of all daily gains

Interesting that TSLA is up after hours today. I didn't expect the entire market to tank and TSLA goes with it. I had a feeling that there would be a chance that the stock would dip below $161.88 and then make a recovery, and that was for tomorrow's guess. It turned out that it was today. So at this point, I think we may still get a bear raid tomorrow and dip below $161.88 again, then rise above $161.88 just like today. I definitely want to re-enter at a lower price point of $168.66. :)

Let's keep things in perspective. Today TSLA shares finished up 1.47% at an all-time closing high and above the note conversion criterion of $161.88. If a shareholder only reviews closing prices, he would be quite pleased and would be in the majority. Of course those in the minority that are glued to the charts all day can become easily rattled and shaken out while watching wide intra-day swings. That is the hope of the hedge funds with their bots.

If 1.47% seems puny, keep in mind that if the price for each of 250 trading days in a year gains 1.47% over the previous day, the price would have multiplied 38.4 times. That would imply a single TSLA share price a year from now of over $6,300. Of course that won't happen, but it reminds us to be appreciative of all daily gains

Agree with this completely. Today was both excellent and entertaining.

Enjoy the roller coaster ride, because its only going to get more thrilling!

TSLA at $164.22

Today I exited my recent short-term trade (Sep13 150 and other calls from $138-142).

The day started with a lot of exuberance from investors causing the stock to gap up at opening to $165.44 from yesterday's close of $161.84. The stock made a blazing trail through the 160s briefly consolidating in the 168 area before breaking through into the low 170s. Since the stock made such a quick rise (2 days from $148 to $162, and now another $10 rise in one day), there was a lot of inherent risk in the 170s level. Surprisingly the stock showed a lot of strength as buyers kept the stock in the 170s by preventing it from breaking down at several points. At this point, I had raised my stop loss to $166.

The danger at during the mid-day was that the stock could break down and then shorts would pounce on it, buyers get scared, and the uptrend is reversed into a downtrend. Since it's risen so fast the past 3 days, there's a lot of room where shorts and downward pressure can take the stock lower.

However, at the low 170s there was also potential for the buyers (whoever they were) to show incredible strength and consolidate the stock in the 170s and more uptrend rise in the coming days. The difficult part of discerning this is that we don't know the makeup of the buyers (ie., buying size, buying pattern, short covering vs longs, etc) and we don't know the motivation (ie., holding pattern). Thus, while the odds are greater (ie., 75-80%) that the stock retreats, there's still some chance (ie., 20-25%) that the stock holds and either consolidates or keeps rising. Because of this possibility, I didn't want to sell my position just because it crossed into the 170s. I wanted to use my gains to allow me to take advantage of another possible move to higher highs. However, since the odds of break down were high, I had my stop loss in place and I also was watching the intraday movements like a hawk.

I was looking at the point where my trade would turn against me (ie., the odds significantly decreased and made the trade no longer attractive). I was considering upping my stop loss to $169 but decided to monitor the condition of the price action in the low 170s. I typically watch the 1-minute chart (and other charts) and have been doing so all day for the past several weeks After the stock hit $173 (it's second attempt to break $173), the stock started to break down. I immediately noticed it as it plunged from $172 to $170.5 (note: it's a bit complex to explain because of a lot of factors but it alarmed me as a possible reversal. On a big volume day like this with a big gap up and price spike, price action is amplified so it has the tendency to hold and rise or to drop and fall.).

This signaled the possible turning point for the day, and so I decided to put a stop loss order contingent on the stock reaching $169.5. If the stock reached that price, it would exit me out of all my recent short-term trade positions (ie., Sep13 150 calls and others). I called my wife (who had made a similar trade on Sep13 calls from her IRA, and told her "Quick, the trade is turning against us. Put in a stop loss contingent at $169.5 to" Fortunately, she was next to her computer and was able to do so quickly.

At $169.5, my sell orders got executed. The Sep13 150 calls I purchased for $5 were sold for $22.85, a 4.5x gain in less than 2 weeks (some various other calls got similar returns as well). (see my post describing my thesis for this trade, Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - Page 629) The rise was much quicker than I had expected, especially the quick rise through the 150s (only 2 days) and the 160s (only 1 day).

So, the results of my trade were very good, but for me the results are secondary as I have deeper and more important goals. I'm trying to refine my thinking and understanding, and improve my decision making processes. I ultimately judge my trade, not on the results (which will vary) but on how clear and accurate was my thinking behind my trade. In this case, writing down the trade thesis helped my think more deeply by expressing it. So, thanks to those who read it.

After my orders got executed, I was closely watching the stock to see if this was just a temporarily dip and if it would quickly recover to break up through $170.5 or not. If it did, I would have consider re-entering with some calls if the recovery was super quick, but I would do it with a clear stop loss recognizing the risks involved. But, the stock didn't quickly recover, rather it started to break down. It tested levels in the 166-168 level but broke down again, eventually hitting $160.25 (the markets also heavily retreated at the last hour which didn't help TSLA). It closed at $164.22.

Today's price action was actually very concerning to me. Technically, today was a "shooting star" candlestick pattern (in terms of technical analysis). This is when the stock gaps up to start the day and does a very major rise to a peak and the retreats back to near where it opened. What's going on is there was a lot of investor exuberance that started the day (evidenced by the gap up opening), and then that exuberance compounded itself and caused a massive quick rise in the stock to a peak where it ran out of buyers to keep propping up the stock, and then took a massive downturn (ie., short selling, and longs panic selling) down to near where it opened. (see wiki for shooting star candlestick, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooting_star_(candlestick_pattern))

If tomorrow gaps down in price at open (from today's close), then this is another bearish signal that a possible downtrend has started, meaning there isn't enough momentum left to keep the stock from rising thus it reverses trend and people start taking more profits (and shorts increase). When uptrend momentum is lost in a dramatic rise, it can quickly and significantly impact investor sentiment, moving it from exuberance to caution and pessimism. Thus, the same buyers in the 160s and 170s could see the dramatic drop and decide to postpone further buying which lessens the price support and contributes even more to the downtrend. Anyway, the downtrend if it gets started usually is reversed when the stock becomes attractive enough for buyers to see value and reverse the downtrend (this can largely depend on buyers and their buying goals). It's also possible it trades sideways for a while as people try to figure out which way it's headed.

A shooting star today and a gap down tomorrow doesn't seal TSLA's downtrend fate completely, but it will signal to a lot of traders and shorts that TSLA is very weak and they're likely test that weakness to the fullest.

I would think we've got a 60-80% chance of gapping down tomorrow, and then if it does gap down at open then another 60-80% that we close lower than we opened. However, there's always a chance that buyers show up and stop the downward momentum (ie., we could see stock open higher tomorrow and consolidate in the 160s or higher). However, at this point I'm not very optimistic. Momentum was reversed in a serious way today, and it would take some major buying to keep TSLA in the 160s IMO. But if somehow uptrend momentum can be recovered tomorrow, I'm looking to re-enter with a position if it breaks through the 170.5 level (possibly earlier in the 167-8ish level but depending on strength at that moment). (note: I'm also playing some small short-term scalper positions, ie., bought some weekly puts during the breakdown. And these positions can/will change during the day.)

As I closed out my trade earlier this morning, I realized how difficult it is to exit a trade at the right time. I was able to catch that the price action was turning against me in a serious way, but that was only because I have been watching the 1 minute chart every day, all day practically for the past month. And I've been doing a crash course on technical analysis and the fundamentals of price action by doing a ton of reading and research. I've spent 10+ hours/day for the past 3 months on this. For people who have other full-time jobs, I can see how it isn't very realistic for them to be watching price and charts (and understanding them) all day for weeks at a time. Thus, it's a challenge to know at what moments a trade possibly reverses and turns against you.

I think a safer strategy is to have some kind of trailing stop loss (ie., $4 lower than a previous high) that auto adjusts the stop loss order according to the current price of the stock. So, if you set a trailing stop loss order to be triggered when the stock is $4 lower than the previous high, then when the stock hit $173 your stop loss would be executed if the stock dipped to $169. That way you wouldn't need to be following the stock all day. Another approach would be to adjust your stop loss order (ie., triggered by a certain stock price) at the close of each day. So you could review that day's price action and then adjust your stop loss to match a price point where you think if the stock went under then it would turn the trade against you (ie., by making the odds unattractive to be in the trade any more).

Today, I also purposely avoided the short-term movement thread and other forums, so that I could focus on the price action and my own analysis. Later tonight, I might read through the short-term thread. But I didn't want the emotions of others to affect my thinking as I had to make important decisions. When there's drastic price movements, I've noticed that people's emotions get ignited (exuberance and anxiety/fear) and sometimes it's difficult to wade through the noise to find info that will actually help my decision making processes.

Lastly, I also avoided posting during the morning any of my thoughts because during a day like today things can change so rapidly. The price action might look strong for one moment, and then suddenly it makes a radical turn in the other direction and it requires clear and quick thinking to make adjustments. Thus, whatever I posted in the morning (if I had) I would need to make another post when things changed and my thoughts changed. My focus would be more on the thread than on my own decisions at hand.

A last note, a lot of my writing on this thread is directed toward short-term price action speculation, sometimes just the price action of today or possible odds for tomorrow (and even at that, it's just my random thoughts). For those who are more long-term investors, I don't think a lot of this is helpful in terms of making a clear decision on your core long-term holding. For example, I'm keeping my long-term core position largely untouched throughout this volatility (though avoiding short-term capital gains tax is a major reason as well). I'm using short-term trading as a sort of "hedge" to increase my gains by taking advantage of the volatility in the stock. But trading short-term movements is a different animal than long-term investing. There's more risk and requires a lot of precision, which requires a lot of time and know-how.

For long-term investing, I'd recommend reading Philip Fisher's Common Stocks and Uncommon Profits. He's got some insightful things in that book that might give perspective, especially Chapter 6 titled "When to Sell and When Not To" (also a section from page 236 on). Basically, he shares how it's difficult for most retail investors to time the peaks and dips of a stock (they often get it wrong), and there could be tax consequences to selling as well. Thus, he encourages long-term investors to hold (even if they feel the stock is overpriced at the moment) as long as their view of the company has not deteriorated and the company still has great revenue growth potential. But for retail investors who have a lot of time for short-term price analysis and appetite for greater risk, technical analysis is a good place to get started and I think a minimum for short-term trading. Also important is to understand the reasons behind the price action. A good place to start is Jesse Livermore's "How to Trade."

Here's the link to Philip Fisher's Common Stocks book, Common Stocks and Uncommon Profits and Other Writings (Wiley Investment Classics): Philip A. Fisher, Kenneth L. Fisher: 9780471445500: Amazon.com: Books

Here's the link to Jesse Livermore's book, How to Trade In Stocks: Jesse Livermore: 9780071469791: Amazon.com: Books

Last edited:
I exited all except my core Leaps today at around 172. I bought back in for half of the amount I sold... although I had sold jan 2014 calls and I bought back jan 2015 calls. If we have a TSLA Tuesday I I will put the rest back in to leaps and maybe some shorter terms if it tanks more than 4-7 dollars. Thanks for everyones thoughts today I was reading what I could in the limited time I had today to make trading decisions

DaveT, I really enjoy your posts as they are very informative and certainly add to what we want or hope to think is happening to TSLA's stock price...today though, there were other factors that not only effected TSLA but most other stocks between 1:00 and 3:30 which is the report about Syria and a possible military strike...this clearly spooked the market...and, if you followed TSLA and othe tech stocks to the end, many recovered slightly for a gain...and, in after hours, it is up even more.
As we all know, TSLA is very well over valued by almost any measure, even looking out 3-4 years as they would need perfect execution and no hiccups to maintain this lofty stock price. We can put all the percentages we want on this stock to go up or down tomorrow or next week, but these are just wild guesses as the stock is being fueled by momentum and that " good feeling" which could change at any moment to the negative. With that said, most of us are having fun watching this stock go up so quickly and we are enjoying our profits...hopefully taking profits on the way up. I am long TSLA and continue to have a major core holding but at this price, any movement up or down would not surprise me. Wishing TSLA continued upward movement as more Investors come into this stock wanting to take advantage of buying into the future.

DaveT, I really enjoy your posts as they are very informative and certainly add to what we want or hope to think is happening to TSLA's stock price...today though, there were other factors that not only effected TSLA but most other stocks between 1:00 and 3:30 which is the report about Syria and a possible military strike...this clearly spooked the market...and, if you followed TSLA and othe tech stocks to the end, many recovered slightly for a gain...and, in after hours, it is up even more.
As we all know, TSLA is very well over valued by almost any measure, even looking out 3-4 years as they would need perfect execution and no hiccups to maintain this lofty stock price. We can put all the percentages we want on this stock to go up or down tomorrow or next week, but these are just wild guesses as the stock is being fueled by momentum and that " good feeling" which could change at any moment to the negative. With that said, most of us are having fun watching this stock go up so quickly and we are enjoying our profits...hopefully taking profits on the way up. I am long TSLA and continue to have a major core holding but at this price, any movement up or down would not surprise me. Wishing TSLA continued upward movement as more Investors come into this stock wanting to take advantage of buying into the future.

Just to clarify about any odds I share... these are just my opinion and in no way a "prediction" of sorts. I use odds for my own personal benefit because it helps with risk-reward analysis. The key part of the odds is not the odds themselves but the reasons behind those odds. With short-term price action there are so many unknown factors involved that there's no way to gather all the possible factors. That's why the best one can do is gather what's available and can be inferred through various patterns (ie., price pattern, volume pattern, resistance levels, etc), and even that is incomplete. But that's the best we've got to help us understand and make decisions on short-term movements. So, my suggestion is don't get thrown off by any odds I share but engage in discussion regarding the reasons behind them. With today's price action, I'm mostly simply pointing out the various factors/signals that could allude to a price trend reversal that is likely to continue tomorrow. But "likely" is such a vague word, thus I try to quantify it with odds/scenarios to be closer to what I actually mean.

Also, when I was writing the post I was aware of the TSLA's movements AH and the market scare toward the end of the day. After-hours is mostly unreliable as a sign for next-day price action because volume is usually low, and it doesn't take into consider new info happening later (ie., Asia/Europe markets, etc). Pre-market is a better indication, though still not totally reliable.

Status
Not open for further replies.