Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2013

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought back all my hedges when we broke below the 20 MA. I'm not interested in finding out where the next level of support is. Should have just sat still with what I had yesterday rather than trying to catch a big move down. Oh well, glad to be on the sidelines again.

Me too. Raised cash. I'm glad I cut my losses on house money also. Kind of regretting buying some common shares yesterday, but at least those are long term holds.

On a lighter note, for those who are able to hedge with options (I'm not, yet - just made a wire transfer to optionsXpress), yesterday when the video of the fire first showed up was a brilliant trading opportunity. That we were able to get this piece of news 20 minutes before the market at large, was almost a proof against the efficient markets hypothesis. If anyone cares about such theories around here (doubt it).

at $170, I did go in and buy this week's call $170 for $3.5 and will hold it till expires, only 2 days.
Seems most the damage is done. Now only if Tesla can make some statement. We know this is blown out of proportion. But it will take time to heal. Something from Tesla or Elon will help a lot.

at $170, I did go in and buy this week's call $170 for $3.5 and will hold it till expires, only 2 days.
Seems most the damage is done. Now only if Tesla can make some statement. We know this is blown out of proportion. But it will take time to heal. Something from Tesla or Elon will help a lot.

That's a very risky bet Kevin. I still don't believe Tesla or Elon will announce anything tomorrow. Remember, they're not in the business for helping us make short-term profit. If I were Elon I would not only take a bit more time to conduct thorough investigation....but perhaps more importantly to STRATEGIZE with my PR team on how to defend ourselves against an onslaught of negative publicity fed by short-sellers and the competitions.

If we breach $170 and stay below $170 today.......I expect more selling tomorrow down to $164 or even retest the post-earning Resistant level of $158.88

Took some money off the table (out of TSLA) premarket and bought solar. I have money on hand to buy in when (If...and I hope not) next support level at 162. It is our turn for tsunami of hurt...but we will come back.

That's a very risky bet Kevin. I still don't believe Tesla or Elon will announce anything tomorrow. Remember, they're not in the business for helping us make short-term profit. If I were Elon I would not only take a bit more time to conduct thorough investigation....but perhaps more importantly to STRATEGIZE with my PR team on how to defend ourselves against an onslaught of negative publicity fed by short-sellers and the competitions.

If we breach $170 and stay below $170 today.......I expect more selling tomorrow down to $164 or even retest the post-earning Resistant level of $158.88
I'd guess there will be a statement before Monday. They'll undoubtedly have folks working on the forensic analysis over the weekend.

They can make a statement before they have all the facts, IF they clearly articulate what they know, what they don't know, and what's their plan to determine what they don't know. For example, have they flown a team of engineers to Washington to inspect the car? Are they in possession of the car? If we were to learn they had engineering on scene Tuesday night, or Wednesday morning, imagine how far that would go to put concerns to rest that they were on top of this, and that they cared. They can articulate the approach to their investigation, and articulate a timeline. The problem now is that they've left a void of information, and anytime you allow such a void to prosper, misinformation multiplies.

+100

I was checking their blog over and over to get information about what they learned, what they were doing and, it turns out that a statement came out on Jalopnik?
I never would have looked there. Everyone knew this day was coming. It seems like they were partially prepared but not on the communications end.

Yeah it is a risky bet in such unusual unusual circumstance. $170 is a good price. Yes we can draw all the line and come to the magic number $164, but more than likely it won't be hit.

Is anyone worried TSLA may repeat the same story rollercoaster at NFLX and GMCR. I hope the big guys (hedge fund & institutions) don't play us the way the played with NFLX and GMCR to milk out money from the retail investors on the way UP then DOWN then UP.

NFLX provides a good case study of how an otherwise pristine company made a series of PR blunders in quick succession that shattered investor confidence and caused the stock to plummet. Golden children, priced to perfection, are extremely vulnerable to such a turn.

Think back to when Tesla announced the voluntary recall in June, on the blog. Partial Recall | Blog | Tesla Motors The stock went up because Tesla proactively owned it, acknowledged it, and articulated their plan. Customers and investors will forgive mistakes if a company owns up to it and acknowledges it and provides a plan.

Tesla could stop the bloodletting now by taking control of the message, rather than trying to allow a few spokesperson comments land here or there at some news outlets. The WSJ just came out with a story with the headline, "Tesla Shares Keep Burning, Questions Swirl About Car Fire." Do folks realize how incredibly damaging that headline is? "Questions swirl" implies lack of control, lack of transparency, lack of trust, lack of competency, unanswered questions. The story has no Tesla comment, and when there's a void of information reporters seek out information from others who are less informed. There's an analyst comment. Sorry, but when you're facing a PR crisis, the company needs to carry the message, not a surrogate analyst.

The market sure isn't helping much...... I'm locked out of trading until tomorrow: I couldn't buy any puts yesterday also so right now I'm totally exposed and powerless.....This is probably the most stressful day I've ever had trading TSLA. Fortunately I closed some of my positions and managed to limit my loss somewhat.... still losing a lot though.

This is a huge buying opportunity though. As soon as elon/tesla say something about the incident the stock will jump up. The algos will make sure of that....

Status
Not open for further replies.