Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2013

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys,

Longs need to hold strong. NOTHING in Tesla's fundamentals have changed, in fact fundamentals have improved. We are going down with the market again today. The market sentiment is not good right now. At these levels ER should move the stock up nicely. ELon and Deepak need to think about moving ER a few weeks to the left going forward IMO.

Yes it is tough for the last 3 weeks, since the fire started. As I observed, the character of the stock has changed. It is no longer a rock solid one always bounce back stronger, in a very short time frame, sometime within hours, in the same day. This down turn takes longer to recover, but I think it will.

The way TSLA gains 500% in 6 months is unprecedented in its size. Back then I just shake my head in disbelief. Unfortunately the pay back time come as a little surprise. I have been very structured and disciplined managing my portfolio, by extensive hedging. I didn't do a perfect job in recent weeks, but I can't complain. It is a matter of improvement and refinement.

Overall if you stay with TSLA all the way till now, even after this correction, you are better off than getting out and in, if you don't play the short term options.

I am pretty optimistic in the longer term, TSLA is fine. When friends asked me when to buy, I always told them the stock is not cheap, but if they can hold it for 6 months then they should be fine.

I haven't played much short term in the last two weeks. In my numerous posts, I've warned about short term calls, as it is extremely hard to do it right to make money. Guilty of me did a couple of times during the fires. But I have strong disclaimer that I know what I am doing.

I do think the $160 level should hold. Right now the stock seems at the victim of the short term traders and shorts. They have been crushed time and time again so this is their breathing time.

Does anyone have access to the Merrill report? If so please let us know what is says, a link would be much appreciated

Finally, I can at least add some value to this thread. Summary is that the stock is overvalued currently and has a price target of $45. Here are some relevant parts to the report:

Stock Data
Price US$171.54
Price Objective US$45.00
Date Established 8-Aug-2013
Investment Opinion C-3-9
Volatility Risk HIGH
BofAML Ticker / Exchange TSLA / NAS
Bloomberg / Reuters TSLA US / TSLA.O

Investors appear increasingly spooked in October
We have written extensively on our view that Tesla’s shares are vastly overvalued
from a fundamental standpoint in reports such as 300K reasons to have doubt and
Caution: Oversize Load implied in current share price. We have also expressed
concern that retail investors could ultimately be at risk, as institutional ownership of
Tesla shares continues to wane (see Mom, Pop, & the Gen 3 dream). Thus far we
have largely been howling at the moon, but believe it is worth considering what
could occur when sentiment behind a momentum driven stock shifts. This appears
to be slowly occurring, driven by factors such as the recent Model S battery fire and
potential NHTSA probe, and speculation of a slowdown in the company’s European
expansion. In fact, TSLA shares are down roughly 12% from their 9/30 closing price
of just over $193/sh. While the recent decline pales in comparison to the year-todate
hyperbolic growth of the shares, it could foreshadow emerging cracks in the
seemingly ironclad façade surrounding Tesla’s stock.

Will 3Q earnings bring tricks or treats?
A degree of investor caution may be particularly relevant as we approach 3Q
reporting, given what appears to be a very wide range of expectations for Model S
deliveries. As a point of reference, Tesla’s outlook is for slightly over 5K units, our
estimate calls for 5.5K, while some analysts expect 7K+. There is also likely to be a
fair amount of confusion in the numbers, given that some analyst estimates seem to
incorporate lease accounting (thus depressing EPS expectations), regulatory credits
remain a wild card, and the company no longer provides an order backlog. One
thing remains relatively certain, in our view – volatility will persist.

An industry innovator, but stock is overvalued
Despite our view that Tesla is an important innovator in the electric vehicle market,
with solid technology and a reputable brand, we continue to believe meaningful
execution challenges remain and the shares are overvalued. Furthermore, we believe
Model S demand could cool off once early adopters receive vehicles and expect the
ultimate addressable market for luxury, electric vehicles to be smaller than many
expect. Despite TSLA’s technology and the beginnings of a charging station network,
we believe the average consumer remains unlikely to sacrifice convenience in order to
own an electric vehicle. Therefore moving into the mass market (key to the bull thesis)
could prove extremely difficult, and will also be met by similar EV offerings from many
incumbent OEMs with deep pockets and the ability to compete on pricing. As a result,
we maintain our Underperform rating and $45 price objective, based on a 2015e
EV/EBITDA multiple of approximately 12X.

Some TA for you guys. Excuse the technical jargon, but to simply things further would require thousand word essays.

Unfortunately, we've breached the $175 level, which was a pretty big deal. The next level is $165 which is what we are fighting about right now. While the bottom of the day is $158. After that we are bumping into the previous channel before the exponential May run up started.

TA wise, today is a pretty important day. If we can reverse here to green, it means both a hammer candlestick and a W chart pattern gets formed. Double technical confirmation of the market sentiment have a high chance of reversing the movement. If not, then we continue to go sideways in this new channel that's established with 160 and 185 until earnings report. Because materially, nothing has changed. So the recent actions are by a shift towards other tech stock and people taking profit. A 17% down movement from the top of $195 is expected, which puts the low at $161, just like previous crashes. IV is at 0.85, suggesting a calming effect to reverse the gyration will happen soon. And my god, we almost touched the bottom of RSI. Hasn't happened for so long.

Note on volume: Some interesting observation. The drop now happens about an hour into the market and is a larger volume than the start of the market. My gut says it's a human order.

tsla.png

Last edited:
Finally, I can at least add some value to this thread. Summary is that the stock is overvalued currently and has a price target of $45. Here are some relevant parts to the report:

Stock Data
Price US$171.54
Price Objective US$45.00
Investment Opinion C-3-9
Volatility Risk HIGH

We have written extensively on our view that Tesla’s shares are vastly overvalued
concern that retail investors could ultimately be at risk, as institutional ownership of
to be slowly occurring, driven by factors such as the recent Model S battery fire and
expansion. In fact, TSLA shares are down roughly 12% from their 9/30 closing price
of just over $193/sh. While the recent decline pales in comparison to the year-todate

reporting, given what appears to be a very wide range of expectations for Model S
deliveries. As a point of reference, Tesla’s outlook is for slightly over 5K units, our
estimate calls for 5.5K, while some analysts expect 7K+. There is also likely to be a
fair amount of confusion in the numbers, given that some analyst estimates seem to
incorporate lease accounting (thus depressing EPS expectations), regulatory credits

Despite our view that Tesla is an important innovator in the electric vehicle market,
execution challenges remain and the shares are overvalued. Furthermore, we believe
Model S demand could cool off once early adopters receive vehicles and expect the
ultimate addressable market for luxury, electric vehicles to be smaller than many
expect. Despite TSLA’s technology and the beginnings of a charging station network,
we believe the average consumer remains unlikely to sacrifice convenience in order to
own an electric vehicle. Therefore moving into the mass market (key to the bull thesis)
could prove extremely difficult, and will also be met by similar EV offerings from many
incumbent OEMs with deep pockets and the ability to compete on pricing. As a result,

There are so many misguided statements in that report, I'm actually happy to see it. If that's the basis for today's decline, it is creating potential for big upside. To take just one example:
"Despite TSLA’s technology and the beginnings of a charging station network, we believe the average consumer remains unlikely to sacrifice convenience in order to own an electric vehicle."
That's a quote that will come back to haunt them.

Thanks for this. I still doubt there will be any material positive effect to the stock directly due to events in Germany, unless an analyst or two can use this info as ammunition to publish articles with revised production figures and price targets, which should happen, and am wishful it happens before ER. Elon needs to have tons of ammunition for Q3 to keep investors interested and excited.

Last edited:
I believe the primary reason for the lul in the price trend is increased margin requirements. Someone even said at IB you can't buy at all on margin (any more). At IB you can loan up to 500% of your portfolio at ridiculously low institutional rates. I suspect most people on margin would be doing at IB.

If you think about it margin can work wonders:
- Have $1000
- Borrow $500 (you tell yourself you never want to go beyond 50% margin relative to net-liquidation-value)
- Stock goes up 20%
- You have $1800 with a margin of $500
- You can borrow and buy $400 more and buy the same stock (still adhering to the rule)
- You can keep buying forever as long as stock keeps going up (never breaking your rule)

If margin is taken out and your are 100% invested, you never buy more, no matter how high the stock goes.

Curtailing margin, takes the punch bowl away. This I strongly believe is the real reason for the lul.

Even if we have a strong Q3 ER surprise, I am not sure how this will be mitigated unless new buyers come in (or margin requirements get lifted, which I think is unlikely).

Feel like this lul will persist for a while..

Thanks for this. I still doubt there will be any material positive effect to the stock directly due to events in Germany, unless an analyst or two can use this info to publish articles with revised production figures and price targets, which can happen, and am wishful it happens before ER. Elon needs to have tons of ammunition for Q3 to keep investors interested and excited.

Sigh, I was hoping that we would turn positive, but it looks like this week it might be a losing one for my $175 call. But I'll hold out until the near end. The money spent on the call isn't as large, so I'm not too worried, but it sucks losing money. Last time I cut my loss early only to see it actually become a gainer. The over all market looks like it's making a lift up now, but TSLA is remaining low. I guess pressure from the Merrill report is holding it down. At this point, it looks like it's going to be a long ways to recover from this continuing dip. I think Andrea James still can come out with a positive analysis, but we also have to be fearful of Goldman Sachs' bearish analysis if it's ever released prior to this upcoming quarter.

Last edited:
Does anyone have access to the Merrill report? If so please let us know what is says, a link would be much appreciated

I found this:

Despite our view that Tesla is an important innovator in the electric vehicle market, with solid technology and a reputable brand, we continue to believe meaningful execution challenges remain and the shares are overvalued. Furthermore, we believe Model S demand could cool off once early adopters receive vehicles and expect the ultimate addressable market for luxury, electric vehicles to be smaller than many expect.

Underperform rating. "PT: $45, based on 2015 expected enterprise value, versus EBITSA of about 12 times."

$45....What a joke.

Folks..relax...at the end of the week we will see $170 again...
these are unbelievable oppurtunities to buy more tesla shares. USE THEM!!!
$170 won't help anyone that bought, well, pretty much any time before today barring some brief moments yesterday.

As for a buying opportunity, yea. Unless you thought that last Thursday, then again Monday. And then again on Tuesday. My money tree has already been stripped of its leaves from all the other buying "opportunities". I'm staring at it now shouting "grow, damn it!"

$170 won't help anyone that bought, well, pretty much any time before today barring some brief moments yesterday.

As for a buying opportunity, yea. Unless you thought that last Thursday, then again Monday. And then again on Tuesday. My money tree has already been stripped of its leaves from all the other buying "opportunities". I'm staring at it now shouting "grow, damn it!"

my situation is now similar to yours...I think this one the last portion i bought before earnings...now it has to climb!!

CLIMB BABY CLIMB..

Stock Data
Price US$171.54
Price Objective US$45.00
Investment Opinion C-3-9
Volatility Risk HIGH

Thank you very much for this!

Status
Not open for further replies.