Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2014

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If this is true, maybe I should start getting my checking account ready to put down for a Sig reservation!

Haha, I predict chaos the day Tesla goes online with the reservation tool for GenIII. Signature will already be sold out by then, better plan to get a ticket to the unveiling event and bring your check book. And, the avoid the stampede to the sign-up desk, park out there as soon as you get in. I think Bonnie, moderator of the Model X section, may have some good tips for you ;-)

Today's price action, IMO, is probably more due to the 30% mandated Chinese Gov. requirement to be EVs by 2016. While you could argue the Gov. may not be buying Teslas it does still bode well for all EVs. Hence, the movement in Kindi and BYD as well. This info has hit mainstream media. The German company order news is 'huge' and hopefully will help with TSLA when it hits mainstream media.

Haha, I predict chaos the day Tesla goes online with the reservation tool for GenIII. Signature will already be sold out by then, better plan to get a ticket to the unveiling event and bring your check book. And, the avoid the stampede to the sign-up desk, park out there as soon as you get in. I think Bonnie, moderator of the Model X section, may have some good tips for you ;-)

Hopefully, they will reach out to their previous owners first on this, since I might have to be right there in line to get one myself! Especially if there is ANY chance we see auto-pilot hitting Gen3 :)

Hahaha, the day Tesla goes online with GenIII reservations, I predict one small bank failure due to unprecedented deposit withdrawals. "It's a Wondeful Life" style.

Today's price action, IMO, is probably more due to the 30% mandated Chinese Gov. requirement to be EVs by 2016. While you could argue the Gov. may not be buying Teslas it does still bode well for all EVs. Hence, the movement in Kindi and BYD as well. This info has hit mainstream media. The German company order news is 'huge' and hopefully will help with TSLA when it hits mainstream media.

I think today's price action is not TSLA news-driven. FB, NFLX and other high-growth names are all up a lot today.

compare.png

DaveT (and others please chime in). Since TSLA appears to be behaving with positive market leader momentum, do you feel that with a positive earning season over the next two weeks that we might see a nice 10%+ run up of TSLA before the TM ER? It is difficult for me to get a handle on what Q2ER for TM will be like. I feel (again not real science just reading many posts/articles) that we may have a 'so-so' Q2ER and conference call. The real unknown is the CC. Will Elon pull the GF, Worldwide demand increase, 'boy we are running both lines now at 1,000 cars/week' card that will make TSLA surge post ER?

DaveT (and others please chime in). Since TSLA appears to be behaving with positive market leader momentum, do you feel that with a positive earning season over the next two weeks that we might see a nice 10%+ run up of TSLA before the TM ER? It is difficult for me to get a handle on what Q2ER for TM will be like. I feel (again not real science just reading many posts/articles) that we may have a 'so-so' Q2ER and conference call. The real unknown is the CC. Will Elon pull the GF, Worldwide demand increase, 'boy we are running both lines now at 1,000 cars/week' card that will make TSLA surge post ER?

These super short term movements are so hard to predict. Google is announcing earnings on Thursday and will set the mood/tone for tech earnings. We'll see.

My thoughts for post earnings are that, even if not a stellar Q2 in terms of deliveries, cash flow, etc. Tesla will be able to explain that all of this is because they are investing time and money to be able to support the unprecidented growth in demand that they are seeing. It would be sad if they just kept going on the path they had plotted for themselves but unable to fulfill this strong surge in demand due to limitations in the manufacturing capability. So, slowing production down temporarily and increasing spending (e.g. 250m Euro on paint shop and production line orders) to address exponential growth in the future should be welcomed as a good thing. (DaveT did a excellent series of posts on Tesla's ability to readjust their plans, think bigger, and move faster.)

So, while I expect initially the stock might get hit due to earnings results that are below guidance and/or street expectations, it will quickly recover and soar, once people realize what is happening.

All it might take is one report from Adam Jonas, Morgan Stanley, to catapult the stock. Remember, his new target of $320 was the beginning of a huge run-up in February. And most importantly, in their modeling, this target was established based on very modest unit production outlook for Model S/X and GenIII by 2020. Consider VolkerP's post today hinting at 500K production capability for GenIII in 2017!

Here are the numbers again from Morgan Stanley's modeler software for the 'base scenario' that justified their $320 price target:

Base Case $320

Successful commercialization of Model S, X and Gen 3 with combined volume surpassing 1.1 million units by 2028. A thriving company with OP margins peaking at 16.4%, normalizing at 15%. A successful Model S and X with combined volume nearly 150k units by 2020. Gen 3 volume reaching 220k units by 2020 and 775k by 2028. 8% OP margin reached in 2014, peaking at 16.4% by 2019, normalize at 15.3%. Our valuation includes $15 for regulatory credits (a $1.9bn EV).

I cannot see a scenario where Adam Jonas will not revise these numbers up again (plus price target), after the Q2 earning call.

Last edited:
Most likely the purchase in expanded capacity is to bake in the future growth and expansion of that factory to full production run rate of 500k cars. It might be something like their aluminum stamping where it is just better to purchase something that will run at 500k cars rather than get, say, 2 things that run at 250k cars... since it might be much better use of space.

They have already mentioned a number of times that being as vertically integrated at the factory that they are means they have to find ways to make the space work for them a little better.

Probably in over my head here, but - I've begun to expect less and less of a jump in the stock price following quarterly earnings. Tesla has moved beyond the initial surprise of "wow, this risky, crazy electric car maker actually appears to be successful" - which caused the huge jumps in the stock in May 2013.

The expectations for technological amazement are simply so high, that there appear to be investors who sell after the report has come out, no matter what! (after the stock has enjoyed a climb prior to ER)

I have (in my opinion) a ton of stock in TSLA and have been in it since March of 2013. I want it to climb as much as anyone else. However, I think the short term rises are going to be less and less connected with ER's as we go forward - and more with the snippits of news that come out between them.

It should not even be a surprise if the stock falls after ER, simply due to the "sell on the news" factor.

(I look forward to Tesla having market cap in the vicinity of Toyota... which would be a stock price of $1,520 :) it will just be a while)

Can anyone read Chinese? I've had a hard time determining what this is about. In any case, it could be important news.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/07/15/far-east-cable-brief-idUSL4N0PQ2HK20140715

this is a brief summary of the article (translated) I received from a colleague of mine who works in Amsterdam:

"The board just wants to inform the investors about new strategies by joining with other company (the name is 江苏华博实业集团有限公司)

The second paragraph is to mention that the partnership will expand their business. They are looking into new energy business – like electric cars. (for long-term, stable corporation). The small company that is going to join the corporation producing equipment/ technology for electric cars.

The next paragraph is about the new company. They were established in 2001, mainly focus on car servicing."

Correct sentiments. Janet Yellen's comments on valuations are definitely affecting various things and are making people question what's really behind their prices. Fortunately for us we have the following:

1. Gigafactory
2. Model X
3. Current Line (Model S) expansion and ramp
4. Potential for increased margins
5. Gen III
6. International expansion

Status
Not open for further replies.