Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2014

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed. This first 100K will be filling the reservations placed in the first 72 hours by family and friends of existing Tesla owners.

This slide is a gem. It shows what I believe to be Tesla's internal plans for 2017-2019. source: JB Straubel | Energy@Stanford SLAC 2013 - YouTube

It shows 200k units for 2017. I'm assuming probably 100-130k units of Model S/X and maybe 70-100k units of Gen3.

slide2.png

Ken----I was referring to your prediction of 0% chance they would Not miss the first delivery guidance on Gen3. So, to be clear you feel TM will deliver Gen 3on time with 100%certainty?

No sorry AIMc. I think they will be late with GEN III (dhrivnak interp). It's going to beat specs as is GF battery cost, but it will be later than current projection in order to guarantee exceeding those specs. That's my prediction. I don think it will be so late that Tesla has a problem. Mod S/X will more than carry the day until then. But my advice to investors is to plan for a Gen III delay of 6 months+. And frankly this is the correct priority.

GEN III needs to be full up make or break and Elon knows it. My opinion, he'll maintain aggressive timeline, but won't meet it because (as with Roadster, ModS, ModX) he knows a few months means nothing compared to nailing the spec and exceeding the expectation. In addition, the GF dependency doubles the complexity of meeting time goals.

It's no big deal relative to company viability IMO. Just plan the investment accordingly and make sure all LEAPS and stock holds are calculated out longer than the stated goals for delivery. The challenge will be build up and hype won't wait for that. We'll get early teasers that will jack the stock, then disappoint in time performance. It's not an issue, just plan for it. Plan to have very long term LEAP / stock and have some cash ready on reports of delay. Have a plan for adding on those dips, while holding the long positions.

We all know (and so does Elon), GEN III is the culmination of success for Tesla. He rightfully will not risk it's performance over a few months delay (if ModS,X is any guide). He's thinking decades ahead; He pushes for fast, but always defaults to performance. Don't take my position as negative, just plan for more time than stated projections.

But also plan for more performance than stated. Tesla will surprise with the final result IMO and the wait will be more than worth it. IMO if you plan for the delay you'll leverage it better. Don't forget all those betting against will still be at play and stronger, also knowing this is THE play for EV viability.

There WILL be delay reports, and the bears will pounce driving the dips. Be ready to buy those while riding thru is what I'd like to communicate as my opinion. May sound a bit fuzzy, but more specifically, stay long, but don't buy options based on GENIII stated time goals- position months ahead of those even as they move from here. Play any medium term option on other events. GENIII timeline will be floating relative to it's performance specification (including safety iterations) rather than a stated time goal.

Haven't been posting much, but monitoring - very busy. In interest of disclosure, I maintain long stock-J16 LEAPS $300, $360 -roll program with TSLA as a top portfolio position. Coming ER will have some challenges, but strong forward projections IMO. -recommend rolling all J15s forward by that time latest- and have some cash ready for J17s coming. I believe TSLA is Cycle 3 Nov issue

Last edited:
Glad to see the jump.

Barrons and MarketWatch (fwiw a couple of Rupert Murdoch owned outlets) have found a new flavor of FUD, and it looks like in response to this price jump Barrons pounded the table again with this FUD just a few minutes ago (this is why I put this post here in the short-term price movement thread).

Someone in the Chinese government recently talked about a plan to add 10,000 charging stations. Of course, the plan is not for these to be 10,000 SuperCharger stations. No one familiar with SuperChargers would expect China to build 10,000 SuperChargers.

What Barrons and MarketWatch have done is write stories saying the new Chinese network will not be compatible with Tesla's cars. That's just false (the latest story softens this to say not compatible with Tesla's technology, partly true (in terms of SuperCharger technology), partly false). While common sense and past experience of Tesla committing to make adapters for other networks strongly suggest this is FUD, I went ahead and called IR about it last week. The story is false.

here's the articles falsely stating Tesla's cars will not be able to use the network:

Tesla Motors: So Much for Giving Away Its Technology - Stocks To Watch - Barrons.com

Beijing cuts Tesla out of charger-station plan - Caixin Online - MarketWatch

I'm going to go with the SpaceX launch being nominal so far.
Twitter / Marc944Marc: Launch went well, nailed the ...

This particular launch has been delayed months and they are supposed to get like 10 more off this year. Maybe people were beginning to doubt Elon's ability to execute. Do we get another $10 if they recover the first stage?

Anyway as usual no way to really explain these movements since it could be as simple as someone with a lot of money is buying.

Edit: First stage went "kaboom" on splashdown so no extra $10 today.

Last edited:
Multiple sources reported to me that Tesla placed an €250m order with Eisenmann. The deal is timed and sized for a 2017 production of a mass market car at 500.000 units per year. Eisenmann supplies paint shops, body shop conveyors and final assembly lines.

EISENMANN - Paint Shops
EISENMANN - Body Shop Conveyors & Final Assembly Lines

Very plausible explanation for today's price move, and very good news! Counters the latest FUD about Tesla slipping launch schedule for GenIII.

- - - Updated - - -

Wow, looks like the Washington monument.

View attachment 53653

Or a middle finger to all the shorts, lol. ;-)

Multiple sources reported to me that Tesla placed an €250m order with Eisenmann. The deal is timed and sized for a 2017 production of a mass market car at 500.000 units per year. Eisenmann supplies paint shops, body shop conveyors and final assembly lines.

EISENMANN - Paint Shops
EISENMANN - Body Shop Conveyors & Final Assembly Lines

thank you for this, just the type of news and catalyst we need to validate that gen 3 is within striking distance. The post Volker P made was listed as located in Germany, Eisenmann is a German company, put the two and two together and it's very possible the poster was able to get this info first by being in Germany. I hope this news is verified and breaks within the next few days to the mainstream US media to clear all the FUD that shorts have been desperately making.

Status
Not open for further replies.