Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2014

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The previous bubble and the subsequent crash caused the stock to rise past the 161% retracement. Which sits at the $260 level.

$319 is the 161%fib retracement of the current bubble crash cycle AND at the same time represent the 291% retracement of the previous bubble. I think we are headed there and will realize the price in Q3. My guess is There will be media events linked to it as Goldman advises Elon on the timing to best take advantage of the technicals. What will most likely happen in my point of view, is that the events will begin before the price pierces $300 to take advantage of the first time crossing rise. The excuses used to raise the money will be to start a factory in China.

From a business standpoint I don't think TM will be announcing a China factory until 2016 at the earliest. There is a huge amount of capital sitting in the GF1 and Model 3 ramp (relative to Tesla's size), and the execution timing can make or break the company. Trying to tackle a second production facility before those are set on their tracks increases the difficulty.

I think the high level plan is to focus on getting Model 3 into volume production by 2017, high volume by 2018, Fremont max by 2019. By 2016/2017 they will have a better picture as to whether they are ready to expand to resolve production facility bottlenecks in 2019, and can look around then for a factory elsewhere in the world. Two years should be enough time to get something up and running, considering it took about two years from NUMMI purchase to MS production, and they'll have experience bringing up massive factories from scratch by then. GF2/GF3 will be developed at the same time, possibly earlier depending on the stationary storage market.

I agree with the sentiment that they will not be doing a second/third gigafactory at least until they get far enough through with the first one to start pushing out cells. The reason being is this is the first of its kind. It is an "unknown" investment. Until it comes to fruition, getting funding to do more is harder to quantify. What if there are delays with the first? What is there is an unknown crazy high cost? Etc. I am not saying that these will happen, just that pushing forward with a second and third (especially if it requires more funding) will be hard to get investors to jump on board.

I remember when they were thinking of going to china, Musk commented on how cheap it was to ship cars to china. All the containers were going back empty because of the trade imbalance. So not much cost in terms of money or energy to ship there. The real reason is tariffs and benefits to producing locally

I remember that too. However, they want to reduce the amount of travel that raw components and finished cars undergo because it generates CO2 in the process. If everything is located pretty close by, then there is less CO2 generated. The Chinese factories would be what, 8 or 9 timezones around the world from California? That is a somewhat decent spread. The final piece in the puzzle would be a third factory somewhere in the GMT timezone - France, Spain, UK, or even somewhere in Africa where a lot of minerals are :) As Africa's fortunes take off over the next few decades, it will be important to avoid another rise of the gasoline car, and hitting them with compelling electric cars built locally could do a lot to achieve that.

Creating the cars for China in China obviously goes a long way to reducing CO2 generation.

The Chinese factory could end up supplying cars to India and some other areas, though I could easily see Chinese demands swallowing up every car they make, especially when Model 3 is out.

The current situation (shipping cars on boats to China) is necessary since there is only one factory... but as you say, at least it's cheap.

The lithium-from-brine industry in California, plus the proximity to Fremont, are two reasons why California might end up with a Gigafactory. (another subject)

To keep at least a little discussion about TSLA itself... today's drop IMO is just a reminder that there are investors who will want to take profits after a rally. I am sure TSLA will recover quickly. I was hoping that we would end the week on a high note, but perhaps not this time.

Last edited:
Which is why I mentioned it is a price target and not a time target. Rising to $320 means too many investors are jumping on board. In that case, it signals to the management (at least if I am running the ship) that there are now enough people wanting them to continue with exponential expansion that they should do another raise. Otherwise all the rise in the stock price is not captured by the company itself but goes instead to employees who will most likely be asking themselves whether or not they should quit and live life the way they wanted. and us investors who are mostly in it for The original TSLA's promis (which means an all clear to reckless expansion). The only ones that will be hurt are those in it for the money and came onboard later.

Without knowing anything other than what I read on TMC (!), perhaps the settlement of the recent trademark dispute, which reportedly came with some help from the Chinese government, signals that the government sees a lot of benefit to cooperating with Tesla. That 'a lot of benefit' may be in the form of ongoing discussions about a factory/Gigafactory that will mean jobs, material sales, addressing the pollution issues, signaling that China can make high quality things and not just a lot of things, etc.. I keep going back to the '100 service centers in China by the end of 2015'. That's nuts. I think when they announce the factory/Gigafactory we'll slap our foreheads and say, 'oh yeah, adding 100 service centers in 18 months (they have 6 right now) should have been the sign that a really, really big ramp up in China is coming.' But I've been wrong a lot before.

On another note, how soon until gigafactory becomes a word in standard dictionaries?

Where was the '100 service centers in China by 2015' mentioned? I don't remember hearing that anywhere.

It was in the CC. Elon figured there would be '100 Services Centers by end of 2015 in China' in an answer to someone's question. I forgot exactly who aske dit.

To give it some context, Elon was asked and explicitly said he was answering off the cuff so this is just an rough guess. He was ballparking 300 service centers globally by end of next year, with about 100 in China.

To give it some context, Elon was asked and explicitly said he was answering off the cuff so this is just an rough guess. He was ballparking 300 service centers globally by end of next year, with about 100 in China.

To further clarify context here, it was also stated that Service Centers was their main focus over stores because they aren't worried about selling more cars right now, but servicing the customers they already will be getting.

I suspect today's pause in TSLA's stock price rise can be attributed to active traders who are taking profits to do bargain shopping in other stocks as the broad indexes head up. Many of these traders will be back, I suspect, just as soon as the broad markets cool a bit.

To further clarify context here, it was also stated that Service Centers was their main focus over stores because they aren't worried about selling more cars right now, but servicing the customers they already will be getting.

Which makes the brouhaha raised by dealerships in troublesome states somewhat moot. I assume that any entity would be allowed to open an unlimited number of service centers in a state, whether a manufacturer, a franchisee or an independent. The only real effect of the dealership squabbles may be free advertising through news media coverage.

- - - Updated - - -

I suspect today's pause in TSLA's stock price rise can be attributed to active traders who are taking profits to do bargain shopping in other stocks as the broad indexes head up. Many of these traders will be back, I suspect, just as soon as the broad markets cool a bit.

That's likely a good part of it. Also consider that TSLA options expire every Friday. Shenanigans can occur as well heeled traders try to corral the price to a point that shuts out the owners of both puts and calls at a certain strike price.

Which makes the brouhaha raised by dealerships in troublesome states somewhat moot. I assume that any entity would be allowed to open an unlimited number of service centers in a state, whether a manufacturer, a franchisee or an independent. The only real effect of the dealership squabbles may be free advertising through news media coverage.
Curt - I hope you're right, though I could imagine a new legal front about manufacturers not being allowed to service their own cars, must go through a third party (dealer). Hope we're not going there, as a TSLA owner and an American.

Curt - I hope you're right, though I could imagine a new legal front about manufacturers not being allowed to service their own cars, must go through a third party (dealer). Hope we're not going there, as a TSLA owner and an American.

There are already laws that say the manufacturers and dealers can't prevent anyone from servicing the vehicles, even by claiming that the warranty is voided. So I don't think this is an issue.

Has anybody heard about the upcoming 2018 Tesla Model C?
I found this in an article in AutoBild.. Target price 15000€ Range 150km! Here is the complete article:
Tesla: Vier neue Modelle bis 2018 - autobild.de

Tesla-Modell-C-Illustration-560x373-c810146350b788e1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.