Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2014

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Did i hear it right, did Elon say in the video "...we are not gonna talk about the model x"? I sure hope he at least talks about it, saying things are on track, or the lack of any comments on X may be exploited by the usual suspects which may take TSLA for a ride.

Did i hear it right, did Elon say in the video "...we are not gonna talk about the model x"? I sure hope he at least talks about it, saying things are on track, or the lack of any comments on X may be exploited by the usual suspects which may take TSLA for a ride.

let's revive the possibility of the solid state extender battery in the frunk

Forgive me if I missed it, but do we have a confirmed time for the D event. I recall seeing a post mention 7:00pm, and i'm assuming this is PST, but has this been confirmed by Tesla? Can anybody who received a formal invite confirm?

Last edited:
that at is a good point...at least we can say the quarter probably wasn't a disappointment.
As for the video, I love how he always brings up that Ford was going to sue them by using "E" so they switched it to 3.... It must really be a pet peeve of hs, haha.

also, this website (also cited by Engadget) is now saying it will be a new supercar performance version of the Model S that will go 0-60 in under 3 seconds! Awesome!! Would be nice if it also gets a 110 battery pack to go 360 or 400 miles.
while I know many on here say they would be dissappointed feeling that this is the wrong direction towards mass market I would say definitely not...the mass market car is still at least 2 years away and they need all of the high margins they can get now to help prepare for launching the mass market car

Tesla D: New P85D will go from 0-60 in under 3 seconds (unofficially) to put it in land of supercars | Electrek

I am sorry to say this, but author of this article does not make an educated guess. I do not believe that TM will go above 5C discharge rate on the battery (5 x capacity, i.e. 5x85=420kW). Taking into account combined efficiency of inverter and motor this could yield 480-500hp on the motor shafts. This is just not enough power to take this heavy vehicle to 60mph in under 3s. My best guess is that 0 to 60 time could be reduced to about 3.5 seconds.

Regarding the larger battery, even if it is offered, will not include more cells, but likely to use cells with higher volumetric energy density. I do not think this will yield more than 10% increase in battery pack rating. So even if the next iteration of battery is offered, the output might be 550hp - not enough for sub 3s 0 to 60 time.

I am sorry to say this, but author of this article does not make an educated guess. I do not believe that TM will go above 5C discharge rate on the battery (5 x capacity, i.e. 5x85=420kW). Taking into account combined efficiency of inverter and motor this could yield 480-500hp on the motor shafts. This is just not enough power to take this heavy vehicle to 60mph in under 3s. My best guess is that 0 to 60 time could be reduced to about 3.5 seconds.

Regarding the larger battery, even if it is offered, will not include more cells, but likely to use cells with higher volumetric energy density. I do not think this will yield more than 10% increase in battery pack rating. So even if the next iteration of battery is offered, the output might be 550hp - not enough for sub 3s 0 to 60 time.

If Tesla can get to 3.3 seconds they would be the fastest 4 door sedan on road. AFAIK Current title belongs to Audi RS7 at 3.4s.

Last edited:

a few things to consider:
Saleen was able to tweek the gear ratio to drop the 0-60 time on their Model S.
Model S P85+ is currently traction limited. (I have seen the traction control go off quite a few times on people flooring their P85s)
Even with the high performance inverter, I do not believe they are fully appreciating the maximum power draw (although you could be right in that they may not want to exceed 5C)

A dual motor would allow Tesla to change both aspects thus giving a better low speed gear ratio to increase acceleration, while giving power to the front wheels to help the car grip the road better. So if they modify the back motor's gear ratio for faster acceleration on the bottom end, and put a gear ratio that is lower on the front it should improve acceleration, high speed energy efficiency, and also keep the same top speed (or potentially raising it). Plus if there is any extra power draw to be gained, slapping in a second power inverter should effectively let them cap out the power draw on the 85 battery.

Not saying you are wrong about not being able to hit lower than 3.5 seconds... just wanted to make sure you were considering everything.

Now I'm really curious about what the "something" else is. Based on my friends account of what he saw was a camo'd Tesla SUV I really thought it was going to be an X beta reveal... Unless Elon was throwing us off on the Vanity Fair interview. Then again I've seen sedans camo'd as SUV's.

Could be possible that the onramp off ramp autopilot could be revealed?

I just watched the video, and assuming that it's not edited in a way that changes the context, it sounded to me like Elon stated that tomorrow's event would not reveal information on Model X or 3.

Elon's statement that the Internet community does not understand the implications of the correct guess says 2 things to me:

(1) Tesla's announcement has something to do with the fundamental way in which people drive or use their vehicles. There's some kind of paradigm shift.

(2). If the Internet is not understanding the magnitude of the announcement, you can bet that Bots won't get it at all, and Wall Street analysts generally will stumble.

Unless the announcement is stunning and obvious upon announcement to most people, I expect TSLA to trade significantly lower without new product announcement. At least until the Q3 conference call.

Expectations, conjecture, and rumors have fueled the recent surge. A "huh wtf?! #confused" reaction tonight could precipitate a massive sell off on Friday.

Now I'm really curious about what the "something" else is. Based on my friends account of what he saw was a camo'd Tesla SUV I really thought it was going to be an X beta reveal... Unless Elon was throwing us off on the Vanity Fair interview. Then again I've seen sedans camo'd as SUV's.

Could be possible that the onramp off ramp autopilot could be revealed?

My observation is that Elon cannot help but be direct (often in a blunt/clumsy manner, as in the stock price comments). It would be out of character for him to say something that's an outright deception.

I think what he mean re: magnitude is that people (present company excepted) don't appreciate the implications of a dual motor in an EV which exceed by far the benefits of AWD in an ICE.

I think it will be a showcase of what the dual motor can do in terms of performance/traction/turning circle/efficiency etc.

I'm selling all my Oct calls during trading hours today. The annoucement will IMO only be D=AWD Model S and the "something else" is an executive back seat option (4-seater). Nothing else. TSLA will open down tomorrow likely (this statement of course depending on where we close today).

My observation is that Elon cannot help but be direct (often in a blunt/clumsy manner, as in the stock price comments). It would be out of character for him to say something that's an outright deception.
Yeah, it would be the first time he would flatly state something only to prove it false later. I don't think he would ever do that, even as a setup for a really nice surprise.

I also think that what will be revealed will be the Model S AWD plus the driver-assist technology, and that nothing else is on the menu. I believe the grave-digging remark is inconsequential, like others pointed out already.

The question is how advanced Tesla's driver-assist technology is, how exciting their demo will be, and how it will be received by the market. I don't care how the bots see it in the first 50 milliseconds, but how the humans react in the AH (if there's time left) and on Friday.

And the thing is, based on all the clues coming from Elon, in particular the one about the Internet missing "the magnitude" of the advance, I see a significant chance that this will be big. I don't see Elon organizing an exclusive event merely to announce things like lane departure and adaptive cruise control, or other stuff that competing sedans have had for years. Automated highway driving is a possibility, even though it sounds mighty ambitious, but what ever it is, it must be a first, and it must be significant enough to make it the highlight of the evening. It would also be in line with his many previous references to automated driving technology being closer than people think, the large numbers of engineers they hired in the field, and his comment on the earnings call about R&D expenses being much better than they look because they are not showing all their cards.

If this is about automated driving, the market should reward it. Adam Jonas used the prospects of this technology as a reason to put the brakes on the stock, but if Tesla is proving to be the leader in this field too, then consistency demands that the stock should rise. Because, of course, the markets are always consistent and rational...

Anyway, I'm placing my bets on the assumption that this is one of the cards up their sleeve, and it's an ace.

Yes, but I think in the last ER call we saw that change in the question about R&D and not revealing all their cards anymore. I also think he learned from the D conference reveal about faster supercharging-- not to let the cat out of the bag.

I think Tesla Motors has changed the tone in terms of what should be revealed after realizing that other Automakers are not caring about EV's as much as Tesla thought they would by now. I have this sense that it lit up the team and made them more hell bent on electrification of electric vehicles via the channel of competitive pressure.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, it would be the first time he would flatly state something only to prove it false later. I don't think he would ever do that, even as a setup for a really nice surprise.

I also think that what will be revealed will be the Model S AWD plus the driver-assist technology, and that nothing else is on the menu. I believe the grave-digging remark is inconsequential, like others pointed out already.

The question is how advanced Tesla's driver-assist technology is, how exciting their demo will be, and how it will be received by the market. I don't care how the bots see it in the first 50 milliseconds, but how the humans react in the AH (if there's time left) and on Friday.

And the thing is, based on all the clues coming from Elon, in particular the one about the Internet missing "the magnitude" of the advance, I see a significant chance that this will be big. I don't see Elon organizing an exclusive event merely to announce things like lane departure and adaptive cruise control, or other stuff that competing sedans have had for years. Automated highway driving is a possibility, even though it sounds mighty ambitious, but what ever it is, it must be a first, and it must be significant enough to make it the highlight of the evening. It would also be in line with his many previous references to automated driving technology being closer than people think, the large numbers of engineers they hired in the field, and his comment on the earnings call about R&D expenses being much better than they look because they are not showing all their cards.

If this is about automated driving, the market should reward it. Adam Jonas used the prospects of this technology as a reason to put the brakes on the stock, but if Tesla is proving to be the leader in this field too, then consistency demands that the stock should rise. Because, of course, the markets are always consistent and rational...

Anyway, I'm placing my bets on the assumption that this is one of the cards up their sleeve, and it's an ace.

I don't know if it would be exactly false. He said no information about Model X would be revealed... but a vehicle can be and they can just talk about the AWD platform... lol I know that's a stretch.

+1.

I think they're going to have ACC, speed control, lane hold branded as active safety. But let everyone know it's advanced enough if someone fell asleep after the highway onramp you would end up approaching your offramp without crashing, in ideal weather/visibility conditions. Basically effectively enabling the technology without waiting for legal and regulatory hurdles.

I posted a pretty long post in the event thread this morning (sry for the verbal diarrhea, I had just woken up) About time to unveil the D and something else - Page 98

Status
Not open for further replies.