Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2014

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We've been talking about car deliveries being rescheduled and delivered to Californians for Q3 in order to reach the guidance. What if this is not the case? Tesla might have chosen to deliver all the cars with autopilot ability to California costumers so they could roll out and test autopilot features close to Palo Alto

I would say no. I was in the Devon PA service center last week and all the cars on their lot waiting for delivery had the sensors.

Letterman just mentioned the "Tesla self driving car", showed the beginning of the slashdot video, then they cut to a cadilac crashing... Dave has to make a joke about everything.

Here's an even more interesting video of a test drive at the D event. First the riders are screaming, and then a man in the car asks, "Where do I put my deposit down?"

Last edited by a moderator:
Ebola is obviously dragging the markets down today. The CDC is making a statement right now.

Ebola is tangential and is not at the core of today's panic, it is only adding a bit of fuel to the fire. The fire is the plummeting price of oil, questions about whether central banks may be much less potent going forward in easing economic shocks, and the cascading effect this has on bond and equities markets globally.

I have preserved some trivial capital today by shorting the Dow and NASDAQ, but this is not something I enjoy doing.

Flux, I see what you're saying, that the core concerns about the oil price and lack of growth are chronic, and probably more important in the long run, and that one could make the case that Ebola shouldn't be of such great concern. However, markets also respond to acute threats, and Ebola is as acute as it gets. The fact that the health system is fumbling its response while it learns to deal with an unprecedented situation doesn't help.

My point is that you may be less concerned, personally, about this because you think it will be controlled, and because the other factors should worry us more. I don't disagree (at least not strongly), but Ebola does feel like a sudden, significant threat to the market. We're not down >2% because of slow growth.

It's like the Tesla fire panic on a much larger scale, with much bigger potential consequences, and with less of a reassuring outlook.

Having said this, I do agree with your take on the macro thread. Just not with the diagnosis of today's action :)

Flux, I see what you're saying, that the core concerns about the oil price and lack of growth are chronic, and probably more important in the long run, and that one could make the case that Ebola shouldn't be of such great concern. However, markets also respond to acute threats, and Ebola is as acute as it gets. The fact that the health system is fumbling its response while it learns to deal with an unprecedented situation doesn't help.

My point is that you may be less concerned, personally, about this because you think it will be controlled, and because the other factors should worry us more. I don't disagree (at least not strongly), but Ebola does feel like a sudden, significant threat to the market. We're not down >2% because of slow growth.

It's like the Tesla fire panic on a much larger scale, with much bigger potential consequences, and with less of a reassuring outlook.

Having said this, I do agree with your take on the macro thread. Just not with the diagnosis of today's action :)

Good stuff -- agree on Ebola having significant effect on market today, just not on scale perhaps. Retesting lows in DIA and QQQ now, this is looking to be a massive market panic today.

Dow off over 400, that's historic.

Here is a quote from the Wall Street Journal today:

WSJ said:
A fair question right now: How much of the move is related to Ebola?

As we noted here yesterday, Ebola is the major risk in the market that no one understands and can potentially cause the most havoc on the economy and markets.

From an earlier MoneyBeat post:
“It’s easy to say Ebola is nothing more than one of those outlier red herring risks,” said James Meyer, chief investment officer at Tower Bridge Advisors. ”But as the number of cases in Africa grows seemingly uncontained, the risk of spreading elsewhere around the world increases.”

The epidemic has confounded the White House. President Barack Obama on Monday signaled that the Ebola response so far had not been good enough. The director of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said the agency is rethinking its approach to Ebola infection control after a Dallas nurse became infected with the disease. That uncertainty, too, may be taking a toll on the market.

“There is little consensus among lawmakers on what the government should do to better combat outbreaks of the deadly disease,” said Chris Krueger, a senior political analyst at Guggenheim Partners’ Washington Research Group.

The longer that Ebola presents a threat to the global economy, the worse the situation will likely get.

Continued news of infections in Europe and the U.S. “would create a fear that could potentially be so elevated that it impacts economic activity,” said Mr. Meyer of Tower Bridge Advisors. “We are nowhere near that point yet and may never get there. But the risk exists and it rises as the disease spreads West and remains out of control in Africa.

“We don’t need a pandemic to hurt the economy,” he added. “Enough fear can create some damage.”

Is it time for TMC to set up a section for "Stationary Storage"?
There are several threads in the Energy, Environment and Policy section about Stationary Storage (e.g. Battery storage and solar) and a whole subforum on batteries (Battery Discussion). Once Tesla has definitely moved into the space, we'll probably need to add a section under Tesla Motors. Until then, one or more threads in that section should suffice.

At this moment, TSLA is holding its ground better than the popular market averages, and significantly better than General Motors or Ford. Such relative strength is a good sign, and should bode particularly well for TSLA once the overall market storm passes.

Curt, you have pointed out the relative strength vs. F & GM several times at higher levels, are you trading on this?

At this moment, TSLA is holding its ground better than the popular market averages, and significantly better than General Motors or Ford. Such relative strength is a good sign, and should bode particularly well for TSLA once the overall market storm passes.

Indeed, buyers are trickling back into TSLA, which is a good sign. I think we were way oversold on the post-event dip so room to go up, assuming macro market stabilizes.

I'm hearing that if SPX closes below 1830 or so, some funds will be selling large chunks of equities tomorrow.

"Nurse encountered extensive vomiting & diarrhea" from Duncan & then was allowed to fly...nice job.
Don't rely on cdc. There was a case of Ebola in Reston va that was known to cdc and a handler of the infected monkey admitted to community hospital. Cdc decided not to inform his physicians to prevent a panic. It was later named the Reston strain. It turns out that it does not cause disease in humans (not known at the time of dx). This was about 25 yrs ago. Don't depend on cdc for rational decisions

Don't rely on cdc. There was a case of Ebola in Reston va that was known to cdc and a handler of the infected monkey admitted to community hospital. Cdc decided not to inform his physicians to prevent a panic. It was later named the Reston strain. It turns out that it does not cause disease in humans (not known at the time of dx). This was about 25 yrs ago. Don't depend on cdc for rational decisions

right down the street from me!

Status
Not open for further replies.