Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2014

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I doubt that the "D" related patents are already out there. This is a striking demonstration of the dare this young company have thrown to the big boys. Remember what was Elon's comment on releasing the patents: what matters is the velocity of innovation. So while other players pondering whether EVs are "ready for prime time" before devoting really serious resources, TM casually threw another huge mountain all the competitors will need to climb now.
I'm sure some aren't out there yet but this is probably "D" related:
Control System For An All-wheel Drive Electric Vehicle

Letterman just mentioned the "Tesla self driving car", showed the beginning of the slashdot video, then they cut to a cadilac crashing... Dave has to make a joke about everything.

BTW, I think letterman has a Roadster, and he's had Elon on more than once. (One time he showed Elons new aftershave "Elon Musk")

I doubt that the "D" related patents are already out there. This is a striking demonstration of the dare this young company have thrown to the big boys. Remember what was Elon's comment on releasing the patents: what matters is the velocity of innovation. So while other players pondering whether EVs are "ready for prime time" before devoting really serious resources, TM casually threw another huge mountain all the competitors will need to climb now.

I am wondering when the first of them will conclude that it is hopeless, and come to TM begging to license their technology or purchase their drivetrains just to remain relevant.

It's velocity, baby. Try to keep up!

When it comes time for others to licence Tesla's technology, I think it will be for more than just an EV drivetrain. It will include all the programming for a digitally controlled vehicle. Tesla has moved beyond EVs; it is making digital cars.

It's not clear to me if Tesla's software is open source. Software comes under copyright law, not so much patent law. I would expect Tesla's open source commitment to extend to software, but have not heard any clarification on this. In any case, it is the ability of programmers to keep the code current that matters. So if another automaker wanted to use their code, they would need there own programmers to adapt and maintain it or just hire the services of Tesla. This the software as a service model, which works even if all the code is open source.

i was dreaming about TSLA and I think I figured out why TSLA opens its patent for free. I am not sure how the legal wrangling will eventually become, but my experience is that no amount of contract law can prevent the head of a company who wants to break the contract to breqk the contract. That being said, the whole premises relies on whether or not what TSLA did is equivalent to opening up the safety belt patent and render it a public domain patent.

That position being stated. TSLA's opening of patents to other companies ensured that no company will allow TSLA's automobile arm to fail. The consequence of a patent troll taking it over and suing everyone is like a nuclear bomb. We now have an absolute floor at which other car manufacturers will be forced to pick up TSLA shares. Just not sure how to calculate that number.

We've been talking about car deliveries being rescheduled and delivered to Californians for Q3 in order to reach the guidance. What if this is not the case? Tesla might have chosen to deliver all the cars with autopilot ability to California costumers so they could roll out and test autopilot features close to Palo Alto

I was wondering when someone would comment on this... The entire market is down 1%+ premarket and looks like TSLA isn't getting any love at the 200-day/40-week support levels. If we open below and don't immediately rebound, then look out for $204.

Yup, didn't like to see that move below $221 and will be important to watch what happens in the first hour of trading today... Crude oil at $81...

It's not ebola. There are cascading fears fund managers around the market are throwing around mostly related to what prolonged cheap oil does to the equities and bond markets. OPEC has effectively decided to bankroll a massive tanking of the the market. The carnage may not end soon. Be careful people.

This has nothing to do with TSLA.

It's not ebola. There are cascading fears fund managers around the market are throwing around mostly related to what prolonged cheap oil does to the equities and bond markets. OPEC has effectively decided to bankroll a massive tanking of the the market. The carnage may not end soon. Be careful people.

Agreed....the market is in control. And not going in the right direction...

EDIT: Any idea of what that spike in the NASDAQ around 9:45 was?

I've pulled out of nearly everything save for retirement holdings and some long term TSLA calls (All underwater) Time to sit on the sidelines for a bit and rebuild some reserves.

Would rather catch things on the way back up than be bled anymore. I'm not a sophisticated enough pig to know how to play this.

I am not an expert of this field. Does this mean a crashing between big oil and alternative renewable energy sources?

P.S. If I understood correctly hope that the big oil is going to lose.

I am not an expert of this field. Does this mean a crashing between big oil and alternative renewable energy sources?

P.S. If I understood correctly hope that the big oil is going to lose.

Wish I had time to explain further, trying to protect my portfolio.

Simple answer is OPEC has the power to flood the market with cheap oil, which disrupts oil-dependent economies around the world including US and Russia, and also makes US shale oil unprofitable. Ironically in the short term investors assume that cheap oil will REDUCE demand for alternative energy products, which is why solar stocks are getting destroyed.

Long term as I have said, this is a major reason we need a solar-electric economy: stability and global security. Wars are being fought because of oil, and this is the latest salvo.

Wish I had time to explain further, trying to protect my portfolio.

Simple answer is OPEC has the power to flood the market with cheap oil, which disrupts oil-dependent economies around the world including US and Russia, and also makes US shale oil unprofitable. Ironically in the short term investors assume that cheap oil will REDUCE demand for alternative energy products, which is why solar stocks are getting destroyed.

Long term as I have said, this is a major reason we need a solar-electric economy: stability and global security. Wars are being fought because of oil, and this is the latest salvo.

Thanks for the quick explanation.

Status
Not open for further replies.