Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2014

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a common bear thesis that Tesla is not production constrained. Ok, stop laughing, I know, I know, but "bear" with me. The European numbers are down. Pretty much any reliable available Model S sales information is down, so we are left with speculating on markets where no reliable information exists. Further, the factory shutdown by several reports took longer than expected and Tesla worked really hard to bring their production numbers back. There is the report that there are two few Model S's registered in China, possibly due to the sales tax rebate issue. They think Musk and Tesla are lying about demand and delivery numbers. They can't understand the overhang of deliveries in various stages of transport between each quarter. With oil down, with the market down, its easy to bring down a high flyer like TSLA. The October 9th event pre-announcement arrested the downslide for a week much to their dismay. The risk for them was that Tesla was going to announce something that would bring unit sales projections up, like a Model X/3 related announcement. We did not get that, and hence the downslide resumed.

So the question becomes, what if Tesla barely makes guidance in deliveries? What if Tesla was not non-GAAP profitable? To me, those are the real short term risks. In that scenario, the bears might even think that the factory shutdown and expansion was all a hoax to cover the lack of demand issue. What would Tesla's stock price be at in the worst case scenario there?

Even if that scenario does not come to pass, I think we are weak going into Q3 ER because of that risk. Of course, I think that Q4 will be terrific with a rising ASP and that Tesla will sell each and every car they make. In my ideal scenario, this is a bear trap with a trading pattern much like Q1, where we hit 180 and then climbed out of it.

As a reminder, I'm talking about short term moves that should not spook a long term investor.

Heh - as a long term investor, what you describe sounds like a best case buying opportunity that I can imagine! I don't know where I'd find it, but more money for investing would definitely be found if enough of this swirls together in the back half of the year.

I am expecting Tesla to announce the date for their Q3 conference call any day now. Any thoughts on a possible pre-announcement?

Generally preER announcements are made when companies will either substantially miss or beat guidance for that quarter. I do not think either applies to Q3. I would hope that around Q3 ER/CC we will get some more information on how the X is coming along...reveal date? Opening up the design studio?...but that is not a given.

Has anyone seen this? Some really good info here that would move the stock if it made it mainstream. I am hoping that they mention this on the CC or maybe in the shareholder letter

http://www.greentechmedia.com/artic...riving-the-Grid-Scale-Energy-Storage-Business

Talking about energy storage,
"Tesla has new industrial and residential units coming out next year at compelling price points"

Thanks for the link. I think that news would move the stock substantially.

On Consumer Reports weekly show, they opened with a few minutes on "D" and autopilot. Fair, positive commentary... though would have been nice if they'd put 3.2 seconds in context of the supercar territory that puts the Model S in.

Talking Cars with Consumer Reports #51: Toyota Camry Tesla News - YouTube

Later in the show they said in two weeks the show will go over the results of CR's reliability survey (based on responses from subscribers, uh, hopefully real subscribers actually owning the car). Anyway, my gut it it's 50/50 that the reliability rating goes down at least a notch and by CR's own rules they have to remove the recommendation on the Model S despite it's 99/100 standing. fwiw, the way they reported on their own Model S several weeks ago and said ~"we'll have to wait and see what the survey results say" seemed like it might be telegraphing/softening poor survey news for the S.

- - - Updated - - -

thanks for the energy storage link Blake

Has anyone seen this? Some really good info here that would move the stock if it made it mainstream. I am hoping that they mention this on the CC or maybe in the shareholder letter

http://www.greentechmedia.com/articles/read/Teslas-Powertrain-Group-Driving-the-Grid-Scale-Energy-Storage-Business

"Tesla has new industrial and residential units coming out next year at compelling price points"

Thanks! Interesting stats.

4 GWh of cumulative battery pack experience.

1 GWh monthly at 200 Supercharger stations. That's 167 kWh per station per day, maybe 4 or 5 charges.

http://www.greentechmedia.com/artic...riving-the-Grid-Scale-Energy-Storage-Business

Is it time for TMC to set up a section for "Stationary Storage"?

Thanks for the link. I think that news would move the stock substantially.

It will, but not in the short term. Tesla simply isn't going to sell enough GWh to make a dent right now. The Gigafactory is what really changes this equation. There are potentially "better" lithium ion chemistries out there for stationary storage (lithium titanate), but it doesn't matter if they can't make it cheap enough. Since Tesla can de-risk the Gigafactory with the Model 3 demand, they can achieve economies of scale that then make it extremely interesting in stationary storage. Tesla is working on the products now which is smart - they get to build and test multiple generations of inverters, BMS's, and so forth at a smaller scale so that when they are ready to produce a much larger volume of batteries, they have proven components for the rest of the stationary storage product. Ironically, stationary storage also de-risks the Gigafactory with respect to the car market. If for some reason there is a drop in demand in the automative space, Tesla can divert more cells to stationary storage.

Therefore stationary storage is a very important long range (2016 and beyond) aspect. As for 2014/15, stationary storage is a part of the Gigafactory excitement.

USA Today put out a video with another snippet from last week's interview with Elon. According to the video some companies approached TM regarding the use of the opened patents, and TM gave them green light to do so. Really interesting to see reporter in kind of disbelief asking a follow-up question on whether Elon thinks that other companies are really using TM patents now, to which Elon answers, with a hint of a triumphant smile: "It is happening" - Wow!

Elon Musk on Tesla's patents

USA Today put out a video with another snippet from last week's interview with Elon. According to the video some companies approached TM regarding the use of the opened patents, and TM gave them green light to do so. Really interesting to see reporter in kind of disbelief asking a follow-up question on whether Elon thinks that other companies are really using TM patents now, to which Elon answers, with a hint of a triumphant smile: "It is happening" - Wow!

The level of confidence in that video was ridiculous...correction : it was bananas

Last edited:
I agree that stationary derisks the Gigafactory. Not only does it provide an alternative market if auto sales may be down, it also buffers growth. When you are trying to double auto sales every 18 months, you always need about 50% more capacity on tap than you are currently using for autos. This is in case anything might slow up your roll out of new capacity or if you find you can make and sell even more cars than planned. So stationary products can keep the factory humming at fuller capacity and be dialed back if more capacity needs to be freed up for autos. The gross profit per kWh used in autos (inclusive of the margin on the whole car) will likely be more than per kWh for stationary. So in any shortage, it is more economical to sacrifice stationary sales for auto sales, but stationary assures that a temporary surplus of capacity will not go to waste.

Of course should the profit margin on stationary prove higher than for autos, then Tesla will be motivated to roll out even more capacity faster, but still I see stationary buffering for autos.

I would have liked a follow up question about patents regarding autopilot and dual motor technology. So any one is free to make their own version of a P85D? Astounding!

BTW, I am a bit annoyed by the suggestion that Tesla must have gotten their lead on autopilot from Mercedes, as if they didn't have the talent to pull that off on their own. I doubt Mercedes would open source their autopilot patents. So asking if the patents behind Tesla's autopilot tech would potentially expose if they were relying on Mercedes's patents. I don't think they are, but it would be good to clear that up.

I agree that stationary derisks the Gigafactory. Not only does it provide an alternative market if auto sales may be down, it also buffers growth. When you are trying to double auto sales every 18 months, you always need about 50% more capacity on tap than you are currently using for autos. This is in case anything might slow up your roll out of new capacity or if you find you can make and sell even more cars than planned. So stationary products can keep the factory humming at fuller capacity and be dialed back if more capacity needs to be freed up for autos. The gross profit per kWh used in autos (inclusive of the margin on the whole car) will likely be more than per kWh for stationary. So in any shortage, it is more economical to sacrifice stationary sales for auto sales, but stationary assures that a temporary surplus of capacity will not go to waste.

Of course should the profit margin on stationary prove higher than for autos, then Tesla will be motivated to roll out even more capacity faster, but still I see stationary buffering for autos.

I see the sales cycle and success of stationary storage being dictated by corporate "hurdle rates" (MARR―Minimum Attractive Rate of Return). While I am confident in the success of the program, Tesla and SolarCity will burn a lot more calories per dollar of sales than the emotional sale of a compelling car.

Slow and steady wins the race. Having both arrows in your quiver......Amazing.

On Consumer Reports weekly show, they opened with a few minutes on "D" and autopilot. Fair, positive commentary... though would have been nice if they'd put 3.2 seconds in context of the supercar territory that puts the Model S in.

Talking Cars with Consumer Reports #51: Toyota Camry Tesla News - YouTube

Later in the show they said in two weeks the show will go over the results of CR's reliability survey (based on responses from subscribers, uh, hopefully real subscribers actually owning the car). Anyway, my gut it it's 50/50 that the reliability rating goes down at least a notch and by CR's own rules they have to remove the recommendation on the Model S despite it's 99/100 standing. fwiw, the way they reported on their own Model S several weeks ago and said ~"we'll have to wait and see what the survey results say" seemed like it might be telegraphing/softening poor survey news for the S.

- - - Updated - - -

thanks for the energy storage link Blake

I haven't followed the Model S forum closely in the past 3 months, but have there been any outstanding issues recently?

The powertrain replacement story got a lot of headlines because of the Edmunds' long-term test car, but that turned out to be a fairly minor problem after Tesla tracked down the cause of the noise.

I haven't seen anything in the news recently about Model S problems. The media is usually quick to pounce on these things.

I'm not sure Tesla intends on a particularly high profit margin on stationary storage. In order to really achieve disruption in energy storage, the profit margin is going to be relatively small as compared to, say, a P85D in the long term. There are simply fewer luxury options to really goose the profit margins in stationary storage. I also expect that as Tesla paves the way here, others will also be able to obtain financing to make their plays in this space. While Tesla has some unique advantages, but I think the competition may actually be fiercer in stationary storage than in automotive in the long term.

I would have liked a follow up question about patents regarding autopilot and dual motor technology. So any one is free to make their own version of a P85D? Astounding!

BTW, I am a bit annoyed by the suggestion that Tesla must have gotten their lead on autopilot from Mercedes, as if they didn't have the talent to pull that off on their own. I doubt Mercedes would open source their autopilot patents. So asking if the patents behind Tesla's autopilot tech would potentially expose if they were relying on Mercedes's patents. I don't think they are, but it would be good to clear that up.

I doubt that the "D" related patents are already out there. This is a striking demonstration of the dare this young company have thrown to the big boys. Remember what was Elon's comment on releasing the patents: what matters is the velocity of innovation. So while other players pondering whether EVs are "ready for prime time" before devoting really serious resources, TM casually threw another huge mountain all the competitors will need to climb now.

I am wondering when the first of them will conclude that it is hopeless, and come to TM begging to license their technology or purchase their drivetrains just to remain relevant.

Last edited:
I haven't followed the Model S forum closely in the past 3 months, but have there been any outstanding issues recently?

The powertrain replacement story got a lot of headlines because of the Edmunds' long-term test car, but that turned out to be a fairly minor problem after Tesla tracked down the cause of the noise.

I haven't seen anything in the news recently about Model S problems. The media is usually quick to pounce on these things.

It's a survey that was conducted over the summer of people (anonymously as far as I know) self-reporting reliability. The survey is either about the past year or total previous ownership... it's not an update on how things have been going of late.

The amount of problems requiring service people have experienced may nor may not have reached the level CR deems to result in a ratings drop even if the owners themselves did not find the experience to be an issue (the survey probably just asks them to report total number of issues requiring service with area A,B,C,... without asking whether they were dissatisfied with the amount of issues they had requiring service). What's more, I do think it's an anonymous survey, and I do think there is a real possibility of tampering given the small sample size of Model S out there, and the high frequency of nonsense directed at causing problems for Tesla we see whatever the motivation (hedge funds, angry dealerships, the oil industry, the automakers, people who conflate Tesla with politics they don't like,...).

Status
Not open for further replies.