Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2014

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
steveG,
thanks for your level headed analysis of TSLA reminding us of fundamentals in times of market panic. Similar to DaveT which unfortunately hasn't be on here much lately (hopefully not a bad omen). I had some orders to buy Jan 17 300 LEAPs in going into today at 21.40 which never triggered unfortunately and some other orders below incase we dropped to 190ish and to 165ish somehow.
however, I think you are right and that we are at a local bottom here for TSLA this morning unless the entire market crashes which part of me hopes will happen now so I get filled on a few of those LEAPs.

Perhaps per your investor relations skills you could ask tesla IR for an official communication on the P85D delays and that would help encourage them to do a blog post if they weren't planning on it already. I seem to remember you doing something similar in the last dip and Tesla coincidentally seemed to answer what you were asking them to do.

Thanks TSLAopt. I'm pretty locked in on the valuation trading strategy I mentioned today. I'm sure, like yourself, many made trading money far faster than me with more aggressive options strategies. When Tesla was blasting from $30 to $200+ I think nearly any bullish strategy would have worked, but now I think successful trading opportunities aren't really more prevalent with TSLA than any other growth stock and we're better off adjusting our expectations accordingly (I wrote about this here a couple of months ago). There may be other ways to make short-term trades, but for me it's all about not making a move unless the stock goes far from what I see it's underlying value to be without valid reason... but going ahead and pulling the trigger in stages when this does happen. If the stock is down at $190 next week for no rational reasons, this method lets me still be okay with my trades this week.

As to contacting IR... thought about it today when I saw a WSJ piece with the expectable wrong suggestion that Tesla had said 285 mile EPA range and are now backing it down to 242. At this point though, I think it's extremely likely Tesla will put out a blog quite soon on their own, and cover D deliveries, and range ratings. If we start seeing a flood of FUD articles on the EPA numbers before this happens, I'll definitely follow your suggestion and contact IR.

BERLIN—"The German government is expected to approve new incentives for corporate purchases of electric vehicles on Wednesday in a bid to recharge the struggling market for battery-powered cars, according to several people familiar with the situation."

Is there a government/official website that says this? The WSJ is the only website that says it will happen on Wednesday. What time on Wednesday? What needs to happen for it to be approved?

If these incentives are approved, it is a very big deal for Tesla.
http://www.wsj.com/articles/germany-expected-to-approve-tax-incentives-for-electric-cars-1417535605

On an aside, BMW's CEO announced today he plans to resign in May. Might this have something to do with the i8 being recalled?
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/10/business/bmw-ceo-norbert-reithofer-to-step-down-early.html

Ha!

2014 BMW i8 Recalled for Fire Risk | Edmunds.com

It's too bad there isn't a premium, super-safe, high performance luxury electric vehicle available that doesn't carry flammable dinosaur juice. OH WAIT.

tesla-model-s-multi.jpg

I couldn't stand it anymore and had to regress the weekly change in TSLA price on the change USO (oil future ETN that tracks the price of oil). Result is an R-squared stat of 1.6% on most recent 100 weeks. The slight correlation is easily due to general.market conditions. There is no statistical support for the belief that price of oil drives Tesla stock performance.

Now, of course, many in the market believe that such a strong correlation ought to exist and seem to be trading accordingly. Others comfort themselves with the thought that once the price of oil goes back up, all well be well. But the problems, is that just as there is no causal or statistical basis for Tesla to go down with oil, there is no basis for it to go back up with oil either. Certainly, we can count on bears never to say that Tesla should go back up once the price of oil has gone high again. So this misattribution needs never reverse itself. There is no reason for Tesla to sell more cars just because oil goes back up because Tesla is supply constrained. Moreover, demand can easily double more quickly than Tesla can double production. The correlation only exists in the imagination of the market, but like an object in a dream it can just as easily disappear from the imagination. Tesla will go back up as the company delivers results. It will have nothing to do with the price of oil.

As for me, I was happy to buy more shares for the dreamy price of $215.

The correlation only exists in the imagination of the market, but like an object in a dream it can just as easily disappear from the imagination..
The market is made up of people, whatever they think is what happens. If the stock price was actually linked to facts instead of people's opinions it would not have tanked with the battery fires, or the D unveiling, or any number of catalysts, in fact, if it was purely fact based, it wouldn't move at all except around earnings reports and company announcements.

Anyone know what's going on with the social thread? I see people posting, the last updated time changes, but no posts after today morning are being displayed for some reason.
When I moved some posts from here to there, something in the master index table broke. The table is rebuilt periodically, so the Social Chat thread is back up.

- - - Updated - - -

Ha!

2014 BMW i8 Recalled for Fire Risk | Edmunds.com

It's too bad there isn't a premium, super-safe, high performance luxury electric vehicle available that doesn't carry flammable dinosaur juice. OH WAIT.
Shout-out to the NY Times for clear headlines:

BMW Recalls i8 Hybrid for Gasoline Fire Risk

This sudden 4 dollar drop premarket seems very suspicious to me. I think it is an attempt at 'spoofing' and some institutional short wants to cover hundreds of thousands of shares or perhaps 1mm shares+ today starting right after the open??? they are hoping they can 'spoof' the opening price down a few dollars in light premarket volume to give them a better avg price on their cover of their very large position after the open.
I don't see any other reason the stock should have suddenly dropped 4 bucks like it did starting at 9am

if someone really wanted to unload 10-20k shares they would have just waited to do it at the open when their price would have been much better (unless they have plans to actually try and buy back many more shares at a lower opening price they try to manipulate the stock to via premarket 'spoofing')

this is how the current ratings and price targets picture look like. Congrats to Barclay's Brian Johnson - he reiterated his "equalweight" rating and already famous $220 price target for the 21st time (since february this year).
The average PT is still very close to the ATH we had and compared to the current market price way too high. But this will change.

Attachments

• TSLA ANR.bmp
    379.8 KB · Views: 489
some extract from a BBG article about Tesla's (current) client base, correlation with oil prices etc.

+------------------------------------------------------------------------------+

Tesla Rebounds as Luxury Buyers Seen Looking Past Pump Prices
2014-12-10 11:06:36.92 GMT

By Keith Naughton
Dec. 10 (Bloomberg) -- Tesla Motors Inc. customers are rich
enough to buy luxury cars whatever the cost of a tank of
gasoline. So the oil rout may not hammer the stock for long.
The 13 percent decline in Tesla shares since the
Thanksgiving holiday in the U.S. was driven by concerns that
falling oil prices will dry up demand for the company’s cars,
analysts said.
That speculation is overblown, said David Whiston, an auto
analyst with Morningstar Inc. in Chicago. Since Tesla is selling
cars that can top $100,000 to very wealthy people, the price at
the pump is not a prime motivator in that consumer’s purchase
decision, he said.
“A lot of investors think cheap oil is bad news for Tesla,
but it’s not that simple,” Whiston said yesterday in a
telephone interview. “People who are buying Tesla today don’t
really care if gas is cheap or expensive. They want it because
it’s a status symbol or for the performance or they are very
eco-conscious and just don’t want to consume fossil fuels,
regardless of what they pay for the fossil fuels.”
The seven-day selloff should be seen as an opportunity to
buy the stock at a discount, said Ben Kallo, an analyst with
Robert W. Baird & Co., said Dec. 8 in a note. It accelerated
following a disappointing estimate of Tesla’s November U.S.
sales Dec. 8 by the industry website InsideEVs.com.
Tesla rose 1.2 percent yesterday to close at $216.89 after
falling as low as $204.27. For the year, the shares have gained
44 percent.

Future Sales

Still, Kallo and InsideEVs.com suggested the recent market
reaction runs counter to Tesla’s future health. And sales of
hybrid and electric cars increased 1.6 percent in November from
October in the U.S. as gasoline prices were falling.
“We think the weakness provides a buying opportunity,”
Kallo said in the note. Tesla “will continue to see strong
demand which is largely driven by performance, quality, and
brand.”
The problem for Tesla could come much farther down the road
when Chief Executive Officer Elon Musk makes good on his promise
to build electric cars for the masses in a bid to change the
world like a 21st Century Henry Ford.
The billionaire former CEO
of PayPal Inc. also is out to disrupt the utility industry and
space exploration with the battery gigafactory he’s building in
Nevada and his other companies, SolarCity Corp. and Space
Exploration Technologies Corp., known as SpaceX.

‘Sustainable Solution’

“The overarching purpose of Tesla Motors (and the reason I
am funding the company) is to help expedite the move from a
mine-and-burn hydrocarbon economy towards a solar electric
economy, which I believe to be the primary, but not exclusive,
sustainable solution,” Musk said in a 2006 blog post.
When Musk attempts to take on mass-market hybrids such as
the Toyota Prius, that’s where low fuel prices could become a
road block. Sales of Toyota Motor Corp.’s Prius fell 13 percent
last month and are down 12 percent this year as U.S. gasoline
prices have fallen to a 4.5-year low.
“The longer term threat is if cheap oil is permanent or
going to be here for a very long time,” Whiston said. “That
could create a problem for Tesla once it gets out of the vehicle
segments that cater to the very wealthy and get down to the
people who might normally buy a compact sedan like a Honda
Civic. Those are the people who care about the price of gas.”

Not Imminent

Such a threat isn’t imminent, nor is it assured, given the
volatility of oil prices over the years, Whiston said. That’s
why he has no plans to change his rating on Tesla of three stars
out of five.
“I think Tesla will be selling everything they can
produce, so I don’t think it’s time to cut solely on the oil
prices today,” Whiston said. “Selling on the fall of oil
prices isn’t necessarily the right thing to do.”
InsideEVs.com advised against putting too much emphasis on
Tesla’s sales in November before of the start of all-wheel-drive
deliveries this month.
“If there was ever a month to be ignored for Model S
sales, it would probably be November,” said InsideEVs.

Tesla fell for seven straight days, losing a total of 14
percent.
Falling fuel prices “has been an excuse to take profits in
the stock,” said Efraim Levy, auto analyst with S&P Capital IQ.
“When the average price of your car is $90,000, saving a few
bucks on a tank of gas is not the issue.”
While the carmaker said its will introduce a Model X sport-
utility vehicle in the third quarter of 2015, Volkswagen AG’s
Audi said it will roll out an electric-powered crossover in 2017
to challenge Tesla.
Kallo said buyers of electric vehicles are attracted by the
ability to ignore the ups and downs of gas prices.
“Although the recent decline in oil prices has caused
concern about EV demand, we believe EV purchasers are focused on
the long-term benefit of not being exposed to oil price
fluctuations,” he said. “We believe demand for TSLA’s vehicles
will remain strong.”

For Related News and Information:
Tesla income statement summary: TSLA US <Equity> CH2 Q <GO>
Global auto industry: NI AUT <GO>
Autos and U.S. economy: TNI AUT USECO <GO>
Top Transport Stories: TRNT<GO>

--With assistance from Alexandra Ho in Shanghai.

If Oil prices continue to fall, the government will likely cut subsidies for Oil companies, and will increase incentives for Electric Vehicles and alternative energy to maintain, with the republicans being forced to agree to it in the interest of maintaining stability. Very confusing that collapsing oil prices are being viewed as a bad thing.

What happened with the vote on substantial incentives for electric vehicles in Germany? There has been almost no coverage about it in English.

I have a strange feeling part of this this is "loss accrual" taking place. The stock is down, and many funds "long" the stock have a loss. If you buy calls, then sell the stock, you can profit if the stock goes up, while also being able to write off the loss, and having the ability to buy the stock at a lower price if the stock falls.

Last edited:
If Oil prices continue to fall, the government will likely cut subsidies for Oil companies, and will increase incentives for Electric Vehicles and alternative energy
That doesn't ring true... around here a drop in oil prices will likely include an increase to oil subsidies to encourage investment... they won't change the EV or alternative energy incentives though, there aren't any to change. (unless they add a surcharge for those to offset the oil subsidies... and no, I wouldn't put that past them!)

That doesn't ring true... around here a drop in oil prices will likely include an increase to oil subsidies to encourage investment... they won't change the EV or alternative energy incentives though, there aren't any to change. (unless they add a surcharge for those to offset the oil subsidies... and no, I wouldn't put that past them!)

For those worried about Oil prices. The producers aren't going to bankrupt themselves. It doesn't change the fact we only have one planet. These are all facts and are truth. That and, in this price range for Model S... these people aren't worried about pump gas prices. The big implication is on things like freight and production of products.

@Derek

IMO true problem with the stock now is that deliveries of P85D has still not begun.

1) D: There's a lot of excitement about D, and there will be lots of demand, but Tesla needs to get production of the Ds going (a) to get the money (b) to build confidence that they aren't going to have major difficulties delivering every major new change.
2) ACC: Tesla has announced AutoPilot, the hardware is set. And there was much rejoicing. But, after the excitement rational analysis made it clear that right now there is no AutoPilot and there's no substantial driver assistance, just two "easy" features that could be implemented without a high rate of accuracy. There's one driver assistance feature that people _really_ care about: Adaptive Cruise Control. Until Tesla can deliver ACC, AutoPilot is just another unfulfilled promise.
3) X: AWD SUV with towing capability. The delivery and capability of the X really matters, both for broadening the market coverage and to demonstrate engineering capability.
4) CHAdeMO: it's not necessarily that Model S owners will need the adapter, but that it's an example of unfulfilled promise. Every technical failure leads to people losing trust, and without trust, TSLA's price will drop through the floor as people lower the future probabilities and look to current performance.
5) Competition: the traditional manufacturers have been talking BEV; GM is unveiling the Volt 2 in January. Talk is cheap, action is expensive. At this point, Tesla's talk is decreasing in value. Tesla needs to deliver on its promises over the next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.