Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2014

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Since Tesla already have sent 7 people there and they have offered compensation, I guess it's not a cigarette.

Led me add my own wild-*-guess: Musk has promised a full warranty for any fire damage, and this is Tesla's way to make good on that promise. We might regard it as some clever, low-margin PR. (It would also reduce insurance premiums, right? Yet another bonus for owners and more positive for TCO calculations.)

Cost to Tesla: 1 car, very occasionally. Maybe a few per year.
Benefit: Priceless goodwill.

I doubt this f're had anything at all to do with the car, except that it happened to be in flames' way. More of a short story, in my mind. Strange that the owner declined compensation, though.

Since Tesla already have sent 7 people there and they have offered compensation, I guess it's not a cigarette.

It's maybe language semantics but Tesla did not offer 'compensation', that word implies responsibility here in the U.S. The article stated (un-sourced) that Tesla offered to take care of the damage but the owner declined; it's just as reasonable to assume then that the owner declined because he felt that Tesla was not responsible.

Anyway, back on topic.....Jim Cramer liking the stock seems to put more pressure on TSLA than the Toronto news did. ;-)

I've been on Mad Money twice asking about Tesla in 2012 and 2013. I'm glad I didn't listen to his "all sizzle and no steak" summation. Cramer is not the Guru he appears to be. Thanks to getting in around 25 I have a Pearl White P85, 21" gray, Pano, Tech, ultra hifi, black leather perf seats, winter, folding mirrors, parking sensors. It didn't cost me a dime as the Shorts paid for it all!

Led me add my own wild-*-guess: Musk has promised a full warranty for any fire damage, and this is Tesla's way to make good on that promise. We might regard it as some clever, low-margin PR. (It would also reduce insurance premiums, right? Yet another bonus for owners and more positive for TCO calculations.)

Cost to Tesla: 1 car, very occasionally. Maybe a few per year.
Benefit: Priceless goodwill.

I doubt this f're had anything at all to do with the car, except that it happened to be in flames' way. More of a short story, in my mind. Strange that the owner declined compensation, though.

It's maybe language semantics but Tesla did not offer 'compensation', that word implies responsibility here in the U.S. The article stated (un-sourced) that Tesla offered to take care of the damage but the owner declined; it's just as reasonable to assume then that the owner declined because he felt that Tesla was not responsible.

Anyway, back on topic.....Jim Cramer liking the stock seems to put more pressure on TSLA than the Toronto news did. ;-)

I'm with you guys about the non-fire fire being a bigger issue than it really is or with people making a bigger issue about. I know that it's easy to make a big deal about this especially after the previous incidences.

If anything, Tesla offering to compensate the owner for the fire is a PR move, nothing more nothing less. I don't think it's worth the time to read more into it. This is sort of like how a person leaves the grocery store and drops a carton of eggs in the parking lot results in a dozen broken eggs then going back in and the store compensating them another carton. It ultimately isn't their responsibility but a PR move in order to continue having a good reputation among customers.

As for the garage fire..... What we know so far is the fact that it did not originate from the Model S and it looks like it's pretty much untouched based in that photograph. Until it is ultimately proven that the Model S was the cause, there is no need to jump to conclusions and panic as far as Tesla is concerned. Now in my opinion, it looks as if the fire more than likely originated from the electrical system of the house, maybe their wiring couldn't handle charging the Model S?

As far as TSLA goes, it doesn't seem to be affected by this too much, at least for now.

Well, I am glad I was wrong about the affect of the fire on the stock price today! I bought some puts as insurance and am happy to see them expire worthless. I still think there is a chance that this fire story will build over the weekend so I am keeping some puts I bought for next week until Tuesday. If there is no drop by Tuesday, then I think it's safe to discount the fire as a potential issue unless new evidence comes out later (ie. it was the car's fault), but I think that would be very unlikely.

Status
Not open for further replies.