Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2014

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyhow at least we don't have long to find out. Hopefully TSLA will end up higher due to anticipation.

Indeed, and IIRC 10/9 was already scheduled to have an event Tesla has already sent out invites for, so it's very unlikely this will get pushed off into the future as has happened with tweet hints given in the past regarding announcements.

Other folks are sensibly including the remote possibility that there is a truck model. "D" is the fourth letter of the alphabet, after Model 3 etc.. Perhaps this is a new model to be forthcoming later? Awfully early to reveal it. But there have been some rumours circulating about an earlier debut of the truck than previously thought, so I would include this as a total outsider explanation.

The D could stand for a Deluxe version of a Model S with a longer wheelbase. That would allow for a larger battery pack, and more leg room for those Chinese who want to sit in the back while a chauffeur drives.

Last edited:
It seems that some of the quarter end rush to make deliveries had something to do with D, and possibly some of the down time. Could something essential to D have been part of installing a second production line? Maybe the rush to mame deliveries was to close out as many open orders as possible to minimize the disruption of introducing something new. Just wondering if this gives us any clues.

I agree with others that it is going to be related to Driver assistance. I was in the Menlo Park Tesla showroom yesterday, and noted that the display car had all the added components (camera, radar, side mounted parking sensor for blind spot warnings). I asked about them and told him I saw owners posting about them in the forum, and he just said that he was not allowed to talk about it just yet. He said he could talk about it very soon, but not yet. He would not even admit that I knew what all the sensors were for although I can tell he wanted to say something based on the smile on his face.

I'd like to hear that it is also about Dual motors, but my personal guess is that they will wait to announce this. They like to spread out their announcements, and two big items at the same time is not their style. I'm not sure if they will have the X reveal before they show an all wheel drive Model S, but if I had to bet, I'd say that would be the order of announcements, and they won't do them all at once.

I think it's Dual Motor.

Why?
• We know the P is a modifier of the 85. D's P-like font suggests D is a modifier as well.
• They've always used "dual" as the word to describe two motors in the Model X.
• The car behind the garage door looks like an S.

So I'm bettin' on the D meaning Dual.

I don't think Oct 9 has anything to do with "Driver Assist" or Driverless, because I don't think they're anywhere near ready for that. The jobs listings still have tons of "Advanced Driver Assistance Systems" engineering jobs that have been open for months and months. They're still building the team.

I think the something else is a new reveal of Model X.

And I think the Model 3 reveal will be in 2015.

Conversation at my apartment:
Me: "ooh look, tesla is going to unveil the new "D" car! I wonder what that stands for!"
Sarcastic Girlfriend: "Probably Diesel"
Me: "No sweetie, it's got to be electric, it's Tesla, people think it might be dual motors with twice the horsepower!"
Sarcastic Girlfriend: "Oh great, that's just what we need, faster tesla drivers and more Fires"

In July, Elon mentioned a Model S with 500 miles of range would be possible soon.

Elon Musk Says A 500-Mile EV Could Happen Soon | CleanTechnica

Everyone reported that comment as if it was a commitment to release a 500mi EV, but he and JB had both made the same comment many times before - that the Model S could have had 500 miles from the start, but it would have been expensive and lousy. I read this as a reiteration of those same comments. Of course it's technically possible, just take out the back seat and put 100k worth of batteries in it. Or raise the floor by 5 inches to pack two more layers of batteries into it. There's no reason someone can't make a car like that right now, except that nobody wants to, because it's not worthwhile to do so.

I was in the Menlo Park Tesla showroom yesterday, and noted that the display car had all the added components (camera, radar, side mounted parking sensor for blind spot warnings). I asked about them and told him I saw owners posting about them in the forum, and he just said that he was not allowed to talk about it just yet. He said he could talk about it very soon, but not yet.

Cool! :cool:

D stands for Dual Motors IMO (as many others have stated), to put the D as a differentiator for the battery capacity, thus longer range would not be coherent. If the 500 mi pack would be available i'll expect the name: S155(plus D, P + as options).

The extra will be the not so secret new driving features, (lane departure, adaptive CC, blind spot). I'can't imagine, there will be substantial news of the MX, until the unveiling of the production series, later this year.

I expect there will be a super car - like DualMotor Performance+ Edition with sub 4sec 0-60mph S85DP+, with would be in line with the tweet from Elon.

That said i think this will create lots of buzz, but not that much upward movement to the SP. ER Q3 will be THE catalyst.

Status
Not open for further replies.