Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2015

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Its sad to see this form go from groundbreaking research and realistic projections/expectations to just a bunch of fanboys who expect TSLA to be a $100 then it is, no matter the price. We could very easily have been at $180 a few weeks ago instead of $240, and we can still go there. But people somehow don't want to believe that it will happen. Hope doesn't make you money, disciplined investing does. And when the technicals show that the stock is weak, hope won't change that. While I am not recommending going short at $200, I also don't think its time to put everything into short term calls. We could easily stay here until the conference call and then go down to $170s after.

Something's happening soon with Model X.

As flagged in the Model X forums, subsite has been gutted. There is now virtually nothing about the car, save for a single (side-rearview mirrorless) picture.

It's possible they are really trying to discourage new sales by taking away any and all detail on the car, but I tend to side with Occam's razor.

Updates are coming very soon. It is very likely that this will be a pre-Q4 earnings event.
The reserve button doesn't even look like a button. I think they are trying to discourage new sales and I think that is the simplest explanation. And since they are obviously doing that I don't expect a Model X reveal until shortly before they start shipping. Once people see the Model X they might decide they want that instead of the car Tesla can actually sell them.

When I heard that in the announcement I didn't get the impression at all that it would be specifically for the Model X.

The new body in white production line will be common for Model X and Model S.

The point I was making is that since the purpose of beta testing is to verify proper functioning of the manufacturing process, it can not be completed before the new body in white line is in operation and used to manufacture Model X betas. So I do not think that beta testing could be completed before new body in white line up and running and used to manufacture Model X betas. This might be the main reason that Model X is not released yet.

As flagged in the Model X forums, subsite has been gutted. There is now virtually nothing about the car, save for a single (side-rearview mirrorless) picture.

It's possible they are really trying to discourage new sales by taking away any and all detail on the car, but I tend to side with Occam's razor.

Updates are coming very soon. It is very likely that this will be a pre-Q4 earnings event.

I sure hope so, if not then it will likely get asked on the conference call "Why have you removed all details about the Model X from your website?" That would be my very first question. To which I assume the response would be exactly what you are guessing as well. That they are on the verge of releasing the X design studio!

This website iteration is the first designed and developed internally, a great effort by Tesla's young web team IMO. Bear that in mind and its easy to understand that the page wasn't "gutted"; it's easily pointed out that there was no sense in redesigning a page that's going to be replaced in a few months anyway. There's plenty of reasons why a reveal event won't be before Q4 earnings so maybe we shouldn't let our wishful thinking sides get carried away; Tesla will hold a reveal event when they are ready and able.

BTW, Tesla only needs to a) reassure analysts that the X is on schedule or b) have a good reason the intro is being pushed back again.

I am a positive FUDster and I'd like everyone to recognize me as such. I don't get why people don't admit being the opposite of me. We are all here to push an agenda we believe in. To feel good about our spot on predictions, to make money off short/longs. Or to get worshipped because we appear to be so much better to others. I am here to spread the gospel of positive FUD to balance out the negative FUDs because it is so much fun.

Admit it shorties. I know you see the death cross. I know you know there's only 50% chance a death cross will work. But will it work this time? That's always the questions. Are you sure TSLA does not have something up its sleeve (like it did 80% if the time before) That Elon will let all the stock compensation that he doled out to employees to become worthless paper just to demoralize them?

Why did Elon renege on the promise to donate his fortune and said that ford family has had a calming effect on ford stick? You know these are all positive FUD. But maybe, just maybe there's some small truth in it.

And wow, a drop in magnitude similar to the 3 KO punch from the fires but without any fire.

Tesla's website on X now shows a "reserve" icon and states that "the delivery for new reservations is early 2016." I believe we currently have over 15k model X on order, if new reservations are going to be delivered in "early 2016," then this update most likely indicates Tesla is ready for production of "old" model x orders, likely to be "on time."

I don't care so much if Elon announces X Test drives before, during or after QR. You know why? Because I'm long & I refuse to gamble In the short term on "gut feelings" and miss out on a possible train we all know is coming ;)

Last edited:
Nissan CEO Ghosn is doing a Reddit AMA right now. Fascinating that without prompting, he mentions Tesla IN HIS FIRST RESPONSE. Getting hyper-defensive without even being asked a question about it:

ghosn.png

I'm happy to see Autonomous driving regulation will not have only one company pushing for it, though.

Seems like a lot of anti-Tesla PR is ramping up around this auto show, but is revealing once again that Tesla is in the lead by a huge margin with their current and planned products.

Nissan CEO Ghosn is doing a Reddit AMA right now. Fascinating that without prompting, he mentions Tesla IN HIS FIRST RESPONSE. Getting hyper-defensive without even being asked a question about it:

View attachment 69058

I'm happy to see Autonomous driving regulation will not have only one company pushing for it, though.

Seems like a lot of anti-Tesla PR is ramping up around this auto show, but is revealing once again that Tesla is in the lead by a huge margin with their current and planned products.

Large numbers of hate usually indicates you are doing things right.

I am a positive FUDster and I'd like everyone to recognize me as such. I don't get why people don't admit being the opposite of me. We are all here to push an agenda we believe in. To feel good about our spot on predictions, to make money off short/longs. Or to get worshipped because we appear to be so much better to others. I am here to spread the gospel of positive FUD to balance out the negative FUDs because it is so much fun.

Admit it shorties. I know you see the death cross. I know you know there's only 50% chance a death cross will work. But will it work this time? That's always the questions. Are you sure TSLA does not have something up its sleeve (like it did 80% if the time before) That Elon will let all the stock compensation that he doled out to employees to become worthless paper just to demoralize them?

Why did Elon renege on the promise to donate his fortune and said that ford family has had a calming effect on ford stick? You know these are all positive FUD. But maybe, just maybe there's some small truth in it.

And wow, a drop in magnitude similar to the 3 KO punch from the fires but without any fire.
Perhaps we should call you a Hypester. Preach it, brother Causalien.

View attachment 69058

It depends on your unit of measure. If it is number of cars, he's right. If it is dollars, he's wrong. If it is dollars of gross margin, he's very wrong.

North America has a reported total >17.5k plus another>6k in other markets. Analysis suggests that the drop-out rate has been ~15% so the remaining global reservations stand at ~20k. # of reservations stands significantly above Model S at the same time back before launch.

Thanks for clarifying that, I visited the X tally numbers last night and it appears I have gotten the comparison of X and S models mixed up.

On a much brighter note, I'm surprise no one has mentioned the Alcoa beat of 8 cents after the bell today. Alcoa sited automobile landscape as one of the reasons for higher demand. Alcoa + Tesla = wink wink.

View attachment 69058

I find it curious that Mr. Ghosn refers to Tesla's "marketing strategy" making the company more visible to the public. How much money does Tesla spend on marketing again?

I find it curious that Mr. Ghosn refers to Tesla's "marketing strategy" making the company more visible to the public. How much money does Tesla spend on marketing again?

I know, right?

So much interesting info is communicated by Mr. Ghosn's remarks. If I was a bettin' man (and I am), I'd say it reads like a man who is rather intimidated by Tesla's success.

My understanding is that Tesla spends quite a lot on marketing. The personnel in the stores are not called sales as they would be in conventional dealership - they are called "marketing". Also, all of the demo cars used for test drives labeled as "marketing". It is clearly not the same marketing as in conventional automobile company - but using their own methodology they do spend money on marketing. It is all part of SG&A, I suppose.

My understanding is that Tesla spends quite a lot on marketing. The personnel in the stores are not called sales as they would be in conventional dealership - they are called "marketing". Also, all of the demo cars used for test drives labeled as "marketing". It is clearly not the same marketing as in conventional automobile company - but using their own methodology they do spend money on marketing. It is all part of SG&A, I suppose.

Sales is different from marketing. An advertisement drives you to the sales guy so you listen to him and buy his product. The closest thing to Marketing is the signs at the Superchargers, the giant oblisk at Hawthorne and perhaps the Tesla drive events. The legal battles serve dual purpose... Fighing the good fight and " advertisement" in the form of making a big fuss that the news media picks it up.

Now they have other forms of marketing... Namely... Us. But we seem to do that free of charge... And, in fact, because they make money on their apparel we are actually PAYING Tesla to be walking billboards and then answer questions when asked.

So yeah, they have a marketing strategy, as Gosen states... They just spend money VERY efficiently... So efficiently part of the advertising generates revenue for them (outside of us actually makig real sales for them).

Tesla's marketing strategy is one to be feared... That's for sure. They have an army of minions doing their bidding for free. :D

Sales is different from marketing. An advertisement drives you to the sales guy so you listen to him and buy his product. The closest thing to Marketing is the signs at the Superchargers, the giant oblisk at Hawthorne and perhaps the Tesla drive events. The legal battles serve dual purpose... Fighing the good fight and " advertisement" in the form of making a big fuss that the news media picks it up.

Now they have other forms of marketing... Namely... Us. But we seem to do that free of charge... And, in fact, because they make money on their apparel we are actually PAYING Tesla to be walking billboards and then answer questions when asked.

So yeah, they have a marketing strategy, as Gosen states... They just spend money VERY efficiently... So efficiently part of the advertising generates revenue for them (outside of us actually makig real sales for them).

Tesla's marketing strategy is one to be feared... That's for sure. They have an army of minions doing their bidding for free. :D

I generally agree with you, but I think you are missing my point. I do understand that sales is different from marketing, but I am specifically talking about how Tesla themselves calls marketing. When I recently (in December) was at the service center to replace my 12V battery, I decided to drive there rather than use valet service, because I thought that I may be able to get to test drive P85D.

When at the center, I saw a lot of P85D, but was not sure whether they were demo cars or cars slated for customers. It was early in the morning, so service center was open, but store was not yet. So I proceeded to ask Service Advisor whether some of P85D cars on the lot belong to sales as demo cars or all of them are slated for customers. The guy looked at me somewhat bewildered and asked back: you mean marketing cars? So what conventional dealers call sales, Tesla call marketing.

Status
Not open for further replies.