Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2015

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
More likely, exercising as soon as they vest, then selling a year later.
Geez looking at the filings he has 70,000 options and it looks like they are something like 75% vested and will be fully vested by August of next year. So he sold 8,000 last April and 1,500 this April. He also has 55,000 options that vest upon meeting performance goals. So to me the story is he sold only a minimal amount of his position this year, likely to cover personal expenses, and is holding on to as much as he can.

Anyway guys these forms are such a ridiculously common thing used to create headlines like "Tesla Exec dumps 1,500 shares" so if you want to not get misled by them you can start learning to read them.
SEC Filings | Tesla Motors

The guy who wrote this article is clueless and conclusion he drew from it is foolish.

This transaction is part of the trading plan that covers future transactions, and it was established and approved back in February of 2015. This is an income supplement transaction for Guillen. As part of this transaction he exercised 1,500 options at $31.49 each and then sold these 1,500 shares at 207.46.

After this transaction he owns 2,662 shares of the stock and 11,393 options.

The key in footnote 1:

1. The stock option exercise and sale reported on this Form 4 were effected pursuant to a Rule 10b5-1 trading plan adopted by the reporting person on February 23, 2015

He most likely gets regular (annual or quarterly) stock awards. Selling the shares as they vest is a prudent diversification strategy, particularly as he'll continue to get more shares awarded in the future.

Looking at the insider sales history for Tesla, you'll see he sold 8000 shares last April. Also, both sales are categorized as "Automatic Sales." It's normal for employees to have such autosale programs setup.

Most likely monthly vesting. That is standard in the Valley across firms (software, hardware, biotech, etc.).

Nicely done! Always happy for TMC bull member's successes:biggrin:

Thanks. My trade thesis buying calls yesterday, while risky, paid off for a nice round 45% quick hit profit. Basically, yesterday we did not participate in the market rally upwards because of a stupid (honestly, stupid) article referencing an ignorant book about Tesla being sold under distress in 2013. I theorized that once people start talking about Google possibly buying Tesla (or anyone, really), they would think about how much money this could make them, not the other way around as the article incorrectly stated. Second, I knew there were no significant economic indicators being released yesterday or today so market was bored, which means flat, which means Tesla has room to close the gap from day before. Third, I posited that today was as good a day as any for a bit of a pre-ER runup / accumulation given low volume. So, trade worked out.

The very plausible article you linked is full of actually very good points, as well:
BP Should Buy Tesla and Its Batteries - Bloomberg View

Some days you win, some days you lose. Tradin' is hard. Feels good today.

For what it's worth, I believe Tesla Motors will become one of the most valuable companies on the planet. Talks of "who buys Tesla" are nice for some quick-hit / short-term profits thanks to the sheep that do not comprehend the global change that the GigaFactory and its signature product will bring.

In 5 years, look up this post and quote me: the question will not be who buys Tesla, but who will Tesla buy on the cheap and absorb into their growing, global manufacturing powerhouse. Several auto companies will fail completely, some will be bought, others will desperately try to partner with Tesla, others will be Tesla powertrain customers again. This is coming folks. But not this year.

/micdrop

:cool:

Last edited:
BP has nothing to offer Tesla but cash. So the real question is whether BP shareholders should be buying shares of Tesla.

Separately, Exxon's CEO just said the science of electric cars are daunting.

"While a lot of improvements have been made, the fundamental challenges of how you do have a battery with performance that consumers will require has not been overcome." "We look at the science and we think it's a very, very daunting challenge."

Haha.

Separately, Exxon's CEO just said the science of electric cars are daunting.

"While a lot of improvements have been made, the fundamental challenges of how you do have a battery with performance that consumers will require has not been overcome." "We look at the science and we think it's a very, very daunting challenge."

Haha.

Interpretation, "All our assets are fundamentally sound. Please pay no attention to electric vehicles. You can trust us to tell you when to divest."

- - - Updated - - -

I don't know. Superchargers @ all of BP's gas stations would be nice...

Come to think of it, they do keep the restrooms tidy. That would be a nice contrubution.

Last edited:
Interpretation, "All our assets are fundamentally sound. Please pay no attention to electric vehicles. You can trust us to tell you when to divest."

Yup, and full-on corporate ass covering.

"We looked into this and consulted 'experts' for our decision!! Can't sue me or blame me down the line for mismanagement on this whole industry trend."

I terminated the shorts.

Yes I am done with my 10 days of observing the 10 percepts. It was an epic battle between the light and dark side of the force within me. In the end, one managed to reconcile and merge the two sides into a harmonious one.

I became Jar Jar Binks.

An interesting thing about that book. 2013 was the year the research were done about the shorts. Sometimes after, Elon started the Tsunami of hurt. It seems to me that this forum, in particular this thread, played an even more instrumental role than I thought before as the book makes it sound like Elon had no idea of the short with that secret handshake deal. BTW who leaked a hand shake deal between two execs? Did someone used a spy device to eavesdrop?

Status
Not open for further replies.