Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2015

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm very excited about tomorrows announcement. For as long as I've been a shareholder (from Sept 14) apart from this month, I've seen only meanderings downwards with slight rises due to 'D' and software upgrades etc.
It took me 24 hours back then to comprehend Tesla's ambition, vision and therefore their quite astonishing potential. I feel this is a fascinating moment - possibly even historic. It is one of EM's goals coming to life; the start of the process of weaning the world off burning the black stuff (which is seriously compelling to most of us who live on this rock) - offering us all the option of saving todays energy for tonight - (I'm not sure exactly how to classify this).
Will the value of Tesla (Motors?) have to be almost completely reassessed on the back of tomorrows announcement? It is a massive unknown, a step into another place. Could this even double the value of the company? (X,3 & gigafactory already priced in, but not this?)
In my opinion the game changer has arrived, even if the fruits are not abundantly with us at this early point. So I'd expect TSLA to potter around the 130-5 mark until Friday lunch time or so and then for the share voltage to go up on one of Elon's rockets when the penny drops and to continue when the (media) news has been fully absorbed over the weekend.
Am I barking up the wrong tree or do others share this sentiment? Are there some who 'get' it and some who just don't?

I wouldn't get my hopes up too high for this announcements effect to the SP, a lot have been priced in already dont forget that. I don't think we will break the $265 barrier with significant volume before we see a succesful X launch with lots of demand and a great 2016 guidance, which, as implied, I do expect, but that will be later this year.

That will be interesting. A month or two back, one of Tesla's SEC filings indicated that they planned to qualify another cell producer this year. Was posted here on TMC, but outside of TMC got no attention.
That would be Samsung SDI, and it was extensively discussed elsewhere too.

Samsung SDI to supply more batteries to Tesla - 2015-08-02
Korea Times said:
"With Tesla seeking to diversify its battery sourcing channels beyond its key partner Panasonic, Samsung SDI will have greater room to supply more electric vehicle (EV) batteries to Tesla," said an official who declined to be named.
was discussed even earlier (2013-08-28)
Tesla Motors Inc (TSLA) Adds Samsung To Its Battery Supply Chain
ValueWalk said:
Tesla Motors Inc (TSLA) is in the final stages of negotiations with Samsung. The two companies are running the final tests on Samsung’s batteries ahead of a final deal which will make Samsung Tesla’s second major battery supplier.
Reuters 2013-10-04
Reuters said:
Popular electric carmaker Tesla Motors Inc may name South Korean battery producer Samsung SDI Co Ltd as an additional supplier as the California auto upstart tries to add more models and expand, although at least one source familiar with the discussions described the deal as being far from done.

Last edited:

Reuters 2013-10-04

None of them seemed to have considered, or at least not discussed, the possibility that the new supplier was qualified specifically for the stationary storage products. I mentioned this elsewhere, but it would be odd to me to have two different suppliers supplying cells for the same products. If we assume the new supplier IS to supply automotive cells, would one battery pack consist of both SDI and Panasonic cells? Or would there be packs made with SDI cells and packs made with Panasonic cells?

Surely makes more sense to get 200Wh/kg cells for one product from one supplier and 250Wh/kg cells for another product from another supplier. If this is the case, it'll be interesting to see if we can learn anything about Tesla's ambitions for the StSt market by looking at the size of the contracts with SDI.

This is also consistent with Elon's statement that there will be no cell supply competition between automotive and stationary storage products.

I'm very excited about tomorrows announcement. For as long as I've been a shareholder (from Sept 14) apart from this month, I've seen only meanderings downwards with slight rises due to 'D' and software upgrades etc.
It took me 24 hours back then to comprehend Tesla's ambition, vision and therefore their quite astonishing potential. I feel this is a fascinating moment - possibly even historic. It is one of EM's goals coming to life; the start of the process of weaning the world off burning the black stuff (which is seriously compelling to most of us who live on this rock) - offering us all the option of saving todays energy for tonight - (I'm not sure exactly how to classify this).
Will the value of Tesla (Motors?) have to be almost completely reassessed on the back of tomorrows announcement? It is a massive unknown, a step into another place. Could this even double the value of the company? (X,3 & gigafactory already priced in, but not this?)
In my opinion the game changer has arrived, even if the fruits are not abundantly with us at this early point. So I'd expect TSLA to potter around the 130-5 mark until Friday lunch time or so and then for the share voltage to go up on one of Elon's rockets when the penny drops and to continue when the (media) news has been fully absorbed over the weekend.
Am I barking up the wrong tree or do others share this sentiment? Are there some who 'get' it and some who just don't?

You got it,
I got it,
many here got it.

I'm not sure about the market out there.

Yes the Deutsche Bank report gave us a nice push up on monday.

Elon is giving a nice party tomorrow evening. Hopefully he will paint a pretty picture in bright colors. He will show us the impact of what this is all about. He is good at this kind of thing.

So then, the general public will start to get it.

ATH is imminent within 3 months, I tend to believe.

After the consistent underwhelming response to reveals over the past 6-12 months I'm keeping optimism low for this one regarding short term SP jump. That doesn't mean I'm not hoping for this to be a game changing announcement and a major short squeeze! I have no short term plays so I'm not affected much either way.

After the consistent underwhelming response to reveals over the past 6-12 months I'm keeping optimism low for this one regarding short term SP jump. That doesn't mean I'm not hoping for this to be a game changing announcement and a major short squeeze! I have no short term plays so I'm not affected much either way.
Also tomorrow's event could be light on specifics. However, it could be guidance will be in the CC for stationary storage. That guidance could be the big stock mover. If they don't talk about utility pipeline then tomorrow's event won't move anything and/or it will go down. But it won't be down for long.

California Governor Orders New Target for Emissions Cuts: NY Times

"The governor’s order did not give details of how the state would reach the new goals, though Mr. Brown in his speech here noted the success of the auto and energy industry so far in meeting the emission targets that the state has set over the years."

“We’re sending the signals to the private economy to create, to innovate, and to make the kind of response that will enable Californians to live in compatibility with the environment,” he said. “We can do it.”

Last edited:

Reuters 2013-10-04

Matt, those are all worth reading. The line in SECs filing stood out to me as the first direct statement I knew of from Tesla of such a near term event. I was hopeful that it meant reports re Samsung were valid.

You are correct that the last few announcements were stock fizzles,and this on might be as well. The (possible) difference with this one is that the previous announcements were new products and features that are exciting to consumers and puzzling for shareholders. This one is more of a straight business announcement that might resonate with wall street. Credit to the poster that made a more eloquent case for that a few days ago :)

In a decade or so, I suppose it's possible this could be as much as half of Tesla's business. My sense is that at this point those at Tesla themselves only have a vague sense of how large the stationary storage business will be vs. the vehicle business. Near term, I think the market at most will value stationary storage as expanding Tesla's business 25% or so when they see some significant contracts. That said, I think your Tesla position will continue to be more pleasing for you in the coming months given the expected news flow. I would be surprised if your position is not in positive territory for you by this time next year (unless there's an overall market crash).

None of them seemed to have considered, or at least not discussed, the possibility that the new supplier was qualified specifically for the stationary storage products. I mentioned this elsewhere, but it would be odd to me to have two different suppliers supplying cells for the same products. If we assume the new supplier IS to supply automotive cells, would one battery pack consist of both SDI and Panasonic cells? Or would there be packs made with SDI cells and packs made with Panasonic cells?
I'm certain that one pack won't consist of mixed cells, balancing that pack would be a nightmare.
The only reference to automotive products is this speculation from an official:
With Tesla seeking to diversify its battery sourcing channels beyond its key partner Panasonic, Samsung SDI will have greater room to supply more electric vehicle (EV) batteries to Tesla

Tesla might just don't want to put all their eggs in one basket, and try to avoid relying too much on one supplier. Purchasing cells from different manufacturers encourage the entire industry to participate in the competition and do their best to provide standardization and technological improvements. It also sends a message to Panasonic, showing that they can't rest on their laurels.

Tesla to invest in charging infrastructure in Japan-Nikkei

April 29 (Reuters) - U.S. electric carmaker Tesla Motors(TSLA) plans to make a big investment in charging infrastructure throughout Japan, the company's CEO
Elon Musk told the Nikkei in an interview.All the charging stations will be either directly or indirectly solar powered, Musk told the daily.

"We'll buy utility power that's coming from solar panels, or we'll have solar panels on the charge station itself. There will be no impact to the electrical grid in Japan," Musk said in the interview. (Reporting By
Manya Venkatesh in Bengaluru; Editing by Sriraj Kalluvila)

Status
Not open for further replies.