Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Are attacks allowed if they are towards bearish posters? If not then why haven't you deleted this one Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016 suggesting I have mental issues while deleting several of mine. Would love a reason for deleting my posts too since they did not contain any personal attacks. Are you seriously claiming you haven't been biased in your moderation?
I was recently out to lunch. Perhaps the other mods missed it. I'm old so my time is limited. Obviously you have more time on your hands than I do and this proves it. Thanks.

• Disagree
Reactions: gene and Svetlin
You can't be serious, someone just suggested I have mental issues for no reason and got a positive response for the post. A mod have just been in this thread deleting several of my posts where I didn't insult anyone while leaving the one suggesting I have mental issues. Precisely the same thing happened a month ago where I got a temp ban and my posts deleted while numerous posts calling me an idiot and a shill stayed up. I guess with the amount of insults thrown my way it would have taken forever to delete them all.

I think people accuse you of being paid purely because you persist. If I got 1/3 of the abuse you are getting I would find another community to engage with.

I have been here for 3 years, and here is the deal. TMC is a tesla enthusiasts site. This sub is by definition bullish. It's members are drawn from the community that admires Tesla products and Elon. So, its a Bull group. The internet is big and there are bearish spots too.

Now, we all pat ourselves on the back and say we welcome Bears who thoughtfully post. And that is sort of true, except for Bull arguments get 1 measure of critical thinking and Bear arguments get 3 measures of critical thinking. Of course. Its a Bullish forum.

So, some Bears feel attacked. That is reasonable. And some loony Bulls get a free pass. That is reasonable.

Now the meta posts come. Where we discuss this AT GREAT LENGTH. OMG we talk and talk and talk about it.

People, just embrace the facts on the ground and move on. This site has a personality. It is what it is.

I agree.

However a word to the wise. We ought to be careful. I am particularly concerned by evangelical preaching (Musk said so, it must be right - type thinking). People get burnt badly. I watched the Contrarian forum the last few days during the GTAT implosion. It wasn't pretty. There was a mother with a special needs child fully invested and fully wiped out. There was a 80 some year old retiree who was fully wiped out of his retirement funds and no place to go. Man it was terrible... I myself lost a bundle on SCTY, which I attribute to Retained Value lies by management and blind faith placed by the collective including myself.

Sure we have Elon which none of of the others have. But we all know Elon. He puts risk taking on steroids. Hence caution is warranted. We might (inadvertently) collectively be preaching a special needs mom into fully investing her last dollar into TSLA and god forbid if something goes wrong...

This is the reason why I get repulsed by some perma-bulls who preach absolute evangelism.

Last edited:
I was recently out to lunch. Perhaps the other mods missed it. I'm old so my time is limited. Obviously you have more time on your hands than I do and this proves it. Thanks.

In one of the posts you deleted I even wrote that someone had suggested I had mental issues on the previous page, but I'm sure you missed that part before deleting it right? Lol. How did you even get the mod role, did they just choose a random guy?

I'm relatively new to investing, as I mentioned in my first post in this thread a few days ago. I was hoping to find a place to learn more about investing in TSLA and I stumbled on this thread.

However, it has been my perception that there is a strong bias here. It is encouraged for people to post strong bullish sentiments in this thread, but people that post bearish comments are treated poorly, labeled 'shorts' (and used as a pejorative) and even censored.

I have little experience as an investor; I don't even know how to buy a short position, but I have a great deal of experience with creating, configuring, moderating, and establishing online communities going back to 1999.

This is not how you create a healthy environment. I'm already at the point of searching for other places to discuss TSLA because it's clear to me that this is not a balanced thread where multiple viewpoints are permitted.

I urge the moderators to strongly consider their actions. Censorship can hurt new investors from seeing all sides. It also will kill an online community over time.

Edit: disclosure - I'm bullish long on TSLA.

Thank you! I totally agree. It is indeed vitally important for every (online) community to hear both sides of the discussion (otherwise you will slowly shift to some kind of extremism). This is especially important on a thread about investing!

When you're (like me) bullish on TSLA, the bearish arguments are much more valuable than the bullish ones. Yes, it's great to hear fellow bulls explain their hypotheses, but it doesn't challenge you to think about your position. It only adds to your current perception. That's why I hope we'll be able to hear some more bearish (well founded!) arguments. Even though they might not change our views on TSLA, they will challenge us to think about our ideas, and that experience in and of itself is valuable enough.

Investing is not about being balanced, it's about being right. The core participators of this thread have been long TSLA since it was trading in the $30 range, in 2011/2012. Now 5 years later the stock is trading at $210 which is for many here an average gain of 500-600%. This beats any index almost to an order of magnitude. If you've been doing that well in recent years investing in a particular stock you have earned the right to critical when someone puts forward flawed arguments. I would even go so far as to say that when you've been this correct it might be one the few times in life when you've earned the right to be just a little bit cocky.

Johan, I have read quite a few of your posts, and most of them are very insightful and helpful. But if you want to be cocky because you were right in the past on one stock, you will get in trouble some day. I haven't invested nearly as long as most of the people on this forum, but one thing I have learnt is that you have to challenge every idea you have. Of all the characteristics there are, being cocky is probably the worst one to have as an investor.

And in general: Please, please, don't attack people personally. It's useless, harmful and it doesn't add anything at all to the discussion.

I think people accuse you of being paid purely because you persist. If I got 1/3 of the abuse you are getting I would find another community to engage with.

I guess. An echo chamber is boring though. And there are no proper investment board out there anyway so might as well waste my time here. I also do think I have had a small influence on the forum already, this is my legacy.

I agree.

However a word to the wise. We ought to be careful. I am particularly concerned by evangelical preaching (Musk said so, it must be right - type thinking). People get burnt badly. I watched the Contrarian forum the last few days during the GTAT implosion. It wasn't pretty. There was a mother with a special needs child fully invested and fully wiped out. There was a 80 some year old retiree who was fully wiped out of his retirement funds and no place to go. Man it was terrible... I myself lost a bundle on SCTY (which I attribute to Retained Value lies by management and blind faith placed by the collective including myself).

Sure we have Elon which none of of the others have. But we all know Elon. He puts risk taking on steroids. Hence caution is warranted. We might (inadvertently) collectively be preaching a special needs mom into fully investing her last dollar into TSLA and god forbid if something goes wrong...

This is the reason why I get repulsed by some perma-bulls who preach absolute evangelism.

Yes of course. Invest responsibly and all (there used to be a boilerplate disclaimer on the investing subs, I don't see them any more...).

The GTAT thing is a good cautionary tale. That was a classic echo chamber.

But... this is the exact rationale that allows trolls to stay at the table. As long as they dust off the "I am concerned for you, remember GTAT" it is license to spout badly researched Bear positions. With TSLA, the truth just has a Bull bias right now.

AND we are not an echo chamber. The posts after the SCTY merger news came out prove that well. Bulls not named Krugerrand were scarce for like 4 days.

In one of the posts you deleted I even wrote that someone had suggested I had mental issues on the previous page, but I'm sure you missed that part before deleting it right? Lol. How did you even get the mod role, did they just choose a random guy?
See, this is why people attack you. You dominate the discussion about meta junk and derail the thread every time you post. Including my post right here. This entire back and forth with mods should have been conducted via PM. Instead everyone is subjected to it and distracts us on a great trading day.

Johan, I have read quite a few of your posts, and most of them are very insightful and helpful. But if you want to be cocky because you were right in the past on one stock, you will get in trouble some day. I haven't invested nearly as long as most of the people on this forum, but one thing I have learnt is that you have to challenge every idea you have. Of all the characteristics there are, being cocky is probably the worst one to have as an investor.

Thank you for the compliment. And please note that I have never recommended anyone to be cocky, or act cockily (is that a word?) as an investor, but I am saying that with a very succesful history when it comes to predicting the price development of an equity comes a certain entitlement to a slight degree of cockyness when debating said equity and the company which it reprensents on an internet forum. On the other hand you're right in pointing out that cockyness in general is often a bad idea. I believe people understood that way back in time: "Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall."

Do you see the irony of this post?

Asking a moderator why he didn't delete a post in which you were personally attacked and then personally attacking the mod himself....

Thank you for the compliment. And please note that I have never recommended anyone to be cocky, or act cockily (is that a word?) as an investor, but I am saying that with a very succesful history when it comes to predicting the price development of an equity comes a certain entitlement to a slight degree of cockyness when debating said equity and the company which it reprensents on an internet forum. On the other hand you're right in pointing out that cockyness in general is often a bad idea. I believe people understood that way back in time: "Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall."

Johan is on to something though. There is a "cockiness" present here, and that is a good thing. This COMMUNITY has a good track record. "insult" us by saying we are a bull echo chamber. Ok. but the consensus opinion was correct. TSLA has been a great investment. And OFTEN we figure out tradeable truths and insights before the market. That is why we bulls persist. It pays. How you push the buttons on your brokerage determines if you win or lose financially, but the information here (when not just meta posting about posters) is immensely valuable. A little pride is called for.

Huh, interesting. ETrade just relaxed margin requirements on TSLA. Not sure what the implications are right now but thought it would be worth posting here. I'm also not sure if this applies to all accounts or just mine:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-06-29 at 2.42.18 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-06-29 at 2.42.18 PM.png
    117.1 KB · Views: 47
I'm relatively new to investing, as I mentioned in my first post in this thread a few days ago. I was hoping to find a place to learn more about investing in TSLA and I stumbled on this thread.

However, it has been my perception that there is a strong bias here. It is encouraged for people to post strong bullish sentiments in this thread, but people that post bearish comments are treated poorly, labeled 'shorts' (and used as a pejorative) and even censored.

I have little experience as an investor; I don't even know how to buy a short position, but I have a great deal of experience with creating, configuring, moderating, and establishing online communities going back to 1999.

This is not how you create a healthy environment. I'm already at the point of searching for other places to discuss TSLA because it's clear to me that this is not a balanced thread where multiple viewpoints are permitted.

I urge the moderators to strongly consider their actions. Censorship can hurt new investors from seeing all sides. It also will kill an online community over time.

Edit: disclosure - I'm bullish long on TSLA.

There are a couple of negative posters on the forum who are prolific and repetitive. I would not classify them as bears, just contrarians or naysayers. They have been here for ages and continue to post the same thematic posts, or share the scare of the day. Some do have evolving concerns that touch on real risks for TSLA and add value. Others, just keep restating the same stuff, and rephrase the same mantra every time they can elicit a response.

Some people here are fanboys and don't want any negative feedback, but most are just tired of the dedicated naysayers. You are correct that shooting down anyone with negative data, especially researched information, should be avoided. We have had prescient warnings during macro challenges last year that were profitable for any short to medium term traders.

• Helpful
Reactions: neroden
Huh, interesting. ETrade just relaxed margin requirements on TSLA. Not sure what the implications are right now but thought it would be worth posting here:

Surely this must but indivdualized, i.e. something that has to do with you personally as a customer, your trading history etc. rather than some general requirement for all customers when it comes to TSLA? If so it would suggest that they've done some internal analysis and come to the conclusion that being long TSLA is less risky than it used to be.

Do you see the irony of this post?

Asking a moderator why he didn't delete a post in which you were personally attacked and then personally attacking the mod himself....

Are you seriously saying me criticizing his modding is uncalled for after his obvious display of biased modding?

I mean the post suggesting I have mental issues is still up after I have mentioned it several times now. There is no question he has a bias, now it will be interesting to see if the site even cares, or perhaps noone in charge knows about it.

Last edited:
See, this is why people attack you. You dominate the discussion about meta junk and derail the thread every time you post. Including my post right here. This entire back and forth with mods should have been conducted via PM. Instead everyone is subjected to it and distracts us on a great trading day.

I agree. The problem IMO is carpet bombing multiple forums with mass postings that make it virtually impossible for others to discuss issues they have on their mind, while attacking other forum members. It is extremely antisocial behavior that diminishes the value of the forum for all of the participants except PL.

This behavior would be totally irrational if PL were not trying to hijack the forum to promote his own short position and silence other forum members whose views he doesn't like and would prefer not to have expressed. I don't think PL is irrational.

Since he engaged in the exact same activity a month ago before getting banned he should know better but obviously does not care.

Johan is on to something though. There is a "cockiness" present here, and that is a good thing. This COMMUNITY has a good track record. "insult" us by saying we are a bull echo chamber. Ok. but the consensus opinion was correct. TSLA has been a great investment. And OFTEN we figure out tradeable truths and insights before the market. That is why we bulls persist. It pays. How you push the buttons on your brokerage determines if you win or lose financially, but the information here (when not just meta posting about posters) is immensely valuable. A little pride is called for.

Ahh, lets be real here. It's been years since the bulls here have been correct. In the past 2 years while the stock price have been flat the consensus here has been great SP appreciation in the short and medium term with many speculating in options too.

Status
Not open for further replies.