Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, can we sue ICE manufacturers for delivering cars which only produce their peak horsepower under very specific conditions? At higher altitude they lose horsepower, any time they're not in the peak of the powerband they lose horsepower, etc. etc.

Mind you, there is a huge difference between "only produce their peak horsepower under very specific conditions" and "under no circumstances being able to produce the stated peak horsepower".

ps: the definition of "peak" performance is exactly that it is only expected to be observed under a narrow set of conditions. You might as well argue against stating the height of a mountain based on its peak height, when the vast majority of the mountain is much lower than that...

Last edited:
I interpreted it more as a prediction for the future production rate.

Having seen a machine running is something different than producing cells in the GF that are ready to be installed in packs and cars.

I just listened to the quote, at 1:14 he says that "cells are going through that thing like bullets from a machine gun. In fact...". Then someone comments that he's looking forward to his next visit and Elon says "come to the Gigafactory opening it will be eye opening."

Which I think confirms my orginal point was that by the party we can probably expect something that will impact the SP.
The remaining two questions are:
1. Have they completed the Phase 1 Cell Production Equipment, or just the last piece(s) of equipment in the line. They are using custom equipment to produce cells. I've been speculating for a while now that they would wait until that's done to build further phases. They just announced that they are starting a new phase. So a second reason to believe that the equipment is ready.

2. How long will it take before they start producing finished cells? IMO it might take them a few weeks of turning the equipment but when that's completed the production ramp will be almost instantaneous. The only additional thing that they need is the raw materials. When they have the production equipment ready, if they can't start production almost immediately someone should probably be fired.

I think the reason that they and Panasonic have spent so little to date is that they can fund the remaining phases from profits.

• Helpful
Reactions: Johan and EinSV
LOL just had 2 simple answers to your post removed by the mod, lets try again: I'm obviously not getting paid.

Mod, why are you deleting my posts? Funny how this board is so biased even the mods are biased, and they don't even try to hide it.

I'm relatively new to investing, as I mentioned in my first post in this thread a few days ago. I was hoping to find a place to learn more about investing in TSLA and I stumbled on this thread.

However, it has been my perception that there is a strong bias here. It is encouraged for people to post strong bullish sentiments in this thread, but people that post bearish comments are treated poorly, labeled 'shorts' (and used as a pejorative) and even censored.

I have little experience as an investor; I don't even know how to buy a short position, but I have a great deal of experience with creating, configuring, moderating, and establishing online communities going back to 1999.

This is not how you create a healthy environment. I'm already at the point of searching for other places to discuss TSLA because it's clear to me that this is not a balanced thread where multiple viewpoints are permitted.

I urge the moderators to strongly consider their actions. Censorship can hurt new investors from seeing all sides. It also will kill an online community over time.

Edit: disclosure - I'm bullish long on TSLA.

Thre is absolutely a bullish bias here.

FWIW, PerfectLogic certainly doesn't have perfect logic, but is actually an interesting and useful person to discuss stock analysis with, and I like reading his stuff. (NOT like JamesTSLA, who didn't post content.) I have a long position in TSLA (and, now that I expect the merger to go through, SCTY), but I really like reading good bear analyses -- it's vital to read serious analysis of downside potential (as opposed to Seeking-Alpha-Montana-Skeptic-level "it's a conspiracy and Musk is lying about everything" nonsense).

I'm relatively new to investing, as I mentioned in my first post in this thread a few days ago. I was hoping to find a place to learn more about investing in TSLA and I stumbled on this thread.

However, it has been my perception that there is a strong bias here. It is encouraged for people to post strong bullish sentiments in this thread, but people that post bearish comments are treated poorly, labeled 'shorts' (and used as a pejorative) and even censored.

I have little experience as an investor; I don't even know how to buy a short position, but I have a great deal of experience with creating, configuring, moderating, and establishing online communities going back to 1999.

This is not how you create a healthy environment. I'm already at the point of searching for other places to discuss TSLA because it's clear to me that this is not a balanced thread where multiple viewpoints are permitted.

I urge the moderators to strongly consider their actions. Censorship can hurt new investors from seeing all sides. It also will kill an online community over time.

Unfortunately it's very hard to find high quality investing discussion online, my best suggestion would just be /investing on reddit. It's filled with newbies and definately not without group think either but sometimes you can find something of value.

• Funny
Reactions: FANGO

I have been here for 3 years, and here is the deal. TMC is a tesla enthusiasts site. This sub is by definition bullish. It's members are drawn from the community that admires Tesla products and Elon. So, its a Bull group. The internet is big and there are bearish spots too.

Now, we all pat ourselves on the back and say we welcome Bears who thoughtfully post. And that is sort of true, except for Bull arguments get 1 measure of critical thinking and Bear arguments get 3 measures of critical thinking. Of course. Its a Bullish forum.

So, some Bears feel attacked. That is reasonable. And some loony Bulls get a free pass. That is reasonable.

Now the meta posts come. Where we discuss this AT GREAT LENGTH. OMG we talk and talk and talk about it.

People, just embrace the facts on the ground and move on. This site has a personality. It is what it is.

You are correct that there is a strong "bull bias" on Teslamotorsclub.com (which is, after all, a forum for Tesla enthusiasts and owners). The fact that bullish investors, who after all are the clear majority of those parttaking in the conversation, seem to respond more positively to bullish comments and analysis is quite natural: they share the viewpoint of the other bullish posters. I disagree with you that all negative/bearish comments are shot down indiscriminately and that those who post bearishly are treated poorly. It's just that unfortunately a lot of the bearish comments are of low quality, inflammatory in nature or pure trolling.

Investing is not about being balanced, it's about being right.
The core participators of this thread have been long TSLA since it was trading in the $30 range, in 2011/2012. Now 5 years later the stock is trading at $210 which is for many here an average gain of 500-700%. This beats any index almost to an order of magnitude. If you've been doing that well in recent years investing in a particular stock you have earned the right to critical when someone puts forward flawed arguments. I would even go so far as to say that when you've been this correct it might be one the few times in life when you've earned the right to be just a little bit cocky.

I urge the moderats to keep up the good work.

I cannot match your expertise, but this is a short-term investors thread, and many posters prefer shorter posts that are on point. What is often annoying are repeated posts which appear to be only directed at others whether by extreme sarcasm, or whatever, that distract from the flow of conversation. As a general rule, direct attacks on a member are discouraged. (I hope your moderating experience was milder in comparison to some here.) Sometimes I contribute to that since my expertise is politics, though it is well recognized here that Brexit or the recent announcement by Tesla of an offer to buy SCTY though off topic have an influence in the short term.

You do not see all actions taken by mods. Only recently I deleted a post by a very highly regarded member because it participated by responding to baiting by a troll. Further, most of the people here have high hopes for making money because of Tsla, and a few are very successful traders who welcome shorting when the stock goes down, or buying at low values when it does. The most successful traders often share their concern for others who are perhaps less capable (because of fewer resources) or speculating. So the oft claimed warnings from some consistent posters are rightly or wrongly suspected of trying to provoke unneeded claims to saving us all money. They just cost us time.

Somewhere, I don't remember where, it might be in the bible of investing, "time is money."

I'm long also, and bullish on the stock. Unfortunately, no dry powder.

FYI, IB listing 119,000 shares available to short, 19% fee rate. Pricey.

Shorts are really emboldened with the merger announcement. Looking at daily markIt data, TSLA short interest jumped nearly 5.5mln shares by yesterday evening. That's a pretty big spike.

Seperately SCTY short position declined by about a million but it is well within the range of usual changes in short-interest up-and-down. Not really meaningful.

Reactions: Calvin.K and Johan
I disagree with you that all negative/bearish comments are shot down indiscriminately and that those who post bearishly are treated poorly.

You can't be serious, someone just suggested I have mental issues for no reason and got a positive response for the post. A mod have just been in this thread deleting several of my posts where I didn't insult anyone while leaving the one suggesting I have mental issues. Precisely the same thing happened a month ago where I got a temp ban and my posts deleted while numerous posts calling me an idiot and a shill stayed up. I guess with the amount of insults thrown my way it would have taken forever to delete them all.

• Disagree
  • Funny
Reactions: FANGO and mmd
As a general rule, direct attacks on a member are discouraged.

Are attacks allowed if they are towards bearish posters? If not then why haven't you deleted this one Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016 suggesting I have mental issues while deleting several of mine. Would love a reason for deleting my posts too since they did not contain any personal attacks. Are you seriously claiming you haven't been biased in your moderation?

• Disagree
Reactions: FANGO and mmd

Hope you'll stick around longer, you may change your viewpoint. Moderation is not perfect by any means, but you will certainly learn about TSLA on this forum. It is the best resource I have found, despite its flaws.

Status
Not open for further replies.