Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Emotions are funny. You actually lost more today than had it gone up 1% yet I am assuming you are not throwing stuff around the office. I am in the same boat : I am quite happy to have gotten out easily this morning, yet the only logical sentiment should be disappointment : had Tesla delivered according to guidance then I would have profited a lot more. But the weekend reset my expectations and now I am suddenly happy about a result which would have made me sad had you told me on Friday at which price I would exit my play.
So you are completely out of TSLA now?

Notice of Sale End Date

Thank you for your recent inquiry regarding the purchase of TSLA common stock. The past week's sub-$200 sales event is scheduled to terminate on Tuesday, June 28, 2016. A small quantity of shares will be available in the morning at sale prices, but this is strictly a merchandise on hand only event and the supply of sale-priced products will not be replenished for this event. We hope you have enjoyed this rare opportunity.
The Management

Funny how it's been only one week since the "below-$200" sales event ended on TSLA shares.

If I was short, I'd rage short and double down because the stock price action defies common sense.
If I was a skeptical short, I'd sense that something's wrong. Stock remains strong despite both Macro weakness and really bad individual stock news. Delivery miss, first death, AP, SCTY acquisition.

Someone knows something we don't.

If I was short, I'd rage short and double down because the stock price action defies common sense.
If I was a skeptical short, I'd sense that something's wrong. Stock remains strong despite both Macro weakness and really bad individual stock news. Delivery miss, first death, AP, SCTY acquisition.

Just bouncing off ideas...If none of the negatives that you listed existed, wouldn't TSLA be well north of 300 today? Infact those are the reasons for the suppressed stock price I would think. Given that the stock is already beat up (relative to where it should be), it is hesitant to go lower. Do you see fault in this logic?

Any speculation as to what this might be?

Just bouncing off ideas...If none of the negatives that you listed existed, wouldn't TSLA be well north of 300 today? Infact those are the reasons for the suppressed stock price I would think. Given that the stock is already beat up (relative to where it should be), it is hesitant to go lower. Do you see fault in this logic?

If TSLA had perfectly predicted every quarter and hit every quarter and avoided every stumble it would be worth 300-400 IMO. Which is why on one hand quarterly misses "don't matter in the long run" they are still very annoying for stockholders. There is really no reason they couldn't execute their manufacturing and just "fix" their predicting machine (turn it down!). Guide lower, hit guidance, profit. Drives me crazy they insist on guiding too high.

I can understand longs coming in and holding the price up. The up side potential within the next 2 years is substantial. But what the hell are shorts thinking? It can't be that retail shorts contributing that much, and can't be that smart money adding short positions at these fairly low levels. The only way I can explain this for myself is that TSLA is simply being used as a leveraged hedge against things unrelated to Tesla story.

Any speculation as to what this might be?

The company is just getting valuable. Someone pointed out we first hit these levels in Early 2014. In those days volume was much lower, no model X, no model 3 in sight, no GF. We have traded in a range since then. Eventually these investments pay off and the stock lurches to a new valuation. A new sturdy floor feels logical to me. Barring macro events, we shouldn't keep revisiting the same old lows, nor should we top out at the same old highs.

If TSLA had perfectly predicted every quarter and hit every quarter and avoided every stumble it would be worth 300-400 IMO. Which is why on one hand quarterly misses "don't matter in the long run" they are still very annoying for stockholders. There is really no reason they couldn't execute their manufacturing and just "fix" their predicting machine (turn it down!). Guide lower, hit guidance, profit. Drives me crazy they insist on guiding too high.

It annoys me too, but I keep reminding myself that the only way to push hard is to set optimistic goals internally and externally and then strive to achieve them. Elon is relentless, which is why most of us remain shareholders. Plenty of conservative companies to invest in if that's what one seeks.

The company is just getting valuable. Someone pointed out we first hit these levels in Early 2014. In those days volume was much lower, no model X, no model 3 in sight, no GF. We have traded in a range since then. Eventually these investments pay off and the stock lurches to a new valuation. A new sturdy floor feels logical to me. Barring macro events, we shouldn't keep revisiting the same old lows, nor should we top out at the same old highs.

I think likewise. Additionally you forgot to mention AP development :) and for that matter even AWD. The company grew leaps and bounds in terms of capability since then. Its a matter of time, sooner or later the stock will move up strongly into a higher trading band or go on a continuous positive momentum. Musk rightfully identified that their biggest challenge and opportunity is with manufacturing itself (both in terms of speed and cost). If Tesla is able to crack that, sky is the limit. Boys are at it. We just need to be patient.

It annoys me too, but I keep reminding myself that the only way to push hard is to set optimistic goals internally and externally and then strive to achieve them. Elon is relentless, which is why most of us remain shareholders. Plenty of conservative companies to invest in if that's what one seeks.

Elon knows that the way to get the best results is to push yourself as hard as you can. The market has figured out that Tesla does this and is now discounting their guidance. This is good news for current shareholders on both counts.

It's a fun day to read through Logical Thought's twitter feed.

Mark B. Spiegel (@markbspiegel) | Twitter

On a day like this he typically loses all logic and starts screaming out loud on Twitter. He is a bit mellow today, but still fun.
Why did you make me click on that?!? That guy is a moron, along with the people that seem to agree with him. When the stock hits 300, I'll think of him and rejoice.

Status
Not open for further replies.