Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As I posted here:A flight instructor teaches Tesla Autopilot, in a critical flight situation (the autopilot is flying an approach to landing, close to the ground), airline pilots monitor the performance of the autopilot with great vigilance and remain ready to take over in a moment's notice if the operation is not progressing properly. Thus, "Autopilot" remains an appropriate word for describing Tesla's system. Consumers Report fails to understand that even in a modern jetliner, autopilot operations sometimes fail and the autopilot needs to be carefully monitored during critical situations (such as on approach and close to the ground). Consumers' Report is incorrect in criticizing Tesla for using the word "Autopilot" because CR really doesn't understand the need to monitor an autopilot's performance in aircraft.

Given the criticism of Tesla for the (accurate) use of the term autopilot, I am surprised no one seems to mind that MB is calling the less capable E-Class "A self-driving car," as Elektrek points out. European Authority says ‘no safety concerns’ with Tesla’s Autopilot after ‘beta’ scare

• Informative
Reactions: Lessmog
New York utility turns to DERs to avoid $11.8M substation upgrade

This is the sort of opportunity that a combined Tesla Energy - SolarCity could really go into. A utility wants a DER alternative to a $11.8M substation upgrade. Think of the substation as a microgrid. Tesla brings in a combination of Powerpacks and behind the meter solar and Powerwalls. All systems within the substation communicate and coordinate to manage peak loads on the substation, voltage regulation, and backup with islanding capability. The utility gets an aggregated interface to the microgrid. Problem solved at minimal cost to utility and all ratepayers.

this kinda sounds like a VPP (Virtual Power Plant) nice little info here which includes Tesla and Powerwalls How utilities can prepare for the invasion of the Virtual Power Plants

As I posted here:A flight instructor teaches Tesla Autopilot, in a critical flight situation (the autopilot is flying an approach to landing, close to the ground), airline pilots monitor the performance of the autopilot with great vigilance and remain ready to take over in a moment's notice if the operation is not progressing properly. Thus, "Autopilot" remains an appropriate word for describing Tesla's system. Consumers Report fails to understand that even in a modern jetliner, autopilot operations sometimes fail and the autopilot needs to be carefully monitored during critical situations (such as on approach and close to the ground). Consumers' Report is incorrect in criticizing Tesla for using the word "Autopilot" because CR really doesn't understand the need to monitor an autopilot's performance in aircraft.

Well stated and sound advice. In any event, this intense coverage of Tesla Autopilot in the media should be further alerting virtually all Tesla owners and prospects of the need to remain fully attentive while Autopilot is engaged. We may not be hearing about many more related accidents until a lot more Teslas are on the road. Meanwhile, improvements will be continuously implemented as beta testing results keep rollin in. Eventually cars will be truly self driving and the term AUTOmobile finally will become fully appropriate.

@jhm am curious, why not sell the 100 TSLA and get 860 shares SCTY? as more or less even trade? (or ~92-93 shares TSLA and 820 SCTY) (i usually DCA equities)
Sure that works too. It depends on how much cash you want to take out. I was thinking that it would be nice to hold the expected gain as cash because that gives you other trading options about how to deploy that cash, while not fundamentally changing your longtermTesla-SolarCity position. For example, if the price of either stock was attacked and became a buying opportunity, you'd have the cash to do that.

I am out until Aug. I was thinking of playing a rise into the GF party but now I think that is an iffy proposition since it doesn't seem to be happening yet. And I wanted to be out for the Q2 call. I don't think there is any reason to hold through that. TM will try to put bells and whistles in it but a positive market reaction seems unlikely. At best I think it will be mixed and unchanged since the bad news is essentially out now. Also, I don't think there will be any market reaction from SMP2 or the GF party. Both are great, required, and major important milestones, but I don't think the market will be impressed:

SMP2: I think we know its outline now: Addition of Tesla Energy. This DID have a positive affect on the stock, but it was last Monday.
GF party: I will be there with pom poms and I am stoked. But the news will be "a pilot line is making cells" and some show and tell. Unless Mr. Market is deranged that should already be priced in.
Q2 ER: will be dismal financially, something already telegraphed with delivery numbers. I can't see what they will say which would cause a pop up, unless it was a relief rally that the bad news season is done.

I think sometime between the Q2 ER and the Q3 ER will be the last time to get on the train. I will hop back on then.

The bull in me says the price will keep holding but cash also holds real well.

Edit: "Out" means mostly cash and some shares. That is as "out" as I get :)

As I posted here:A flight instructor teaches Tesla Autopilot, in a critical flight situation (the autopilot is flying an approach to landing, close to the ground), airline pilots monitor the performance of the autopilot with great vigilance and remain ready to take over in a moment's notice if the operation is not progressing properly. Thus, "Autopilot" remains an appropriate word for describing Tesla's system. Consumer Reports fails to understand that even in a modern jetliner, autopilot operations sometimes fail and the autopilot needs to be carefully monitored during critical situations (such as on approach and close to the ground). Consumer Reports is incorrect in criticizing Tesla for using the word "Autopilot" because CR really doesn't understand the need to monitor an autopilot's performance in aircraft.

While true, it was still a poor name choice because the general public does not have this understanding. Unfortunately, people choose to believe the wrong meaning for words when used in the wrong context and, over time, that becomes the accepted understanding of the word. See also how the word 'troll' gets thrown around this thread. Most people using that word don't know what 'troll' really means in the context of an online community.

While true, it was still a poor name choice because the general public does not have this understanding. Unfortunately, people choose to believe the wrong meaning for words when used in the wrong context and, over time, that becomes the accepted understanding of the word. See also how the word 'troll' gets thrown around this tread. Most people using that word don't know what 'troll' really means in the context of an online community.

2/10. Would not read again. We know what a troll is and we do know how the the term "auto pilot" has been used for decades in the airline industry.

So what's with the whack back down to neutral and subsequent flat ??

Check out the TSLA daily trading charts thread for July 6, 8, and 12. These are days similar to today when the broader markets are up but effort is put into managing TSLA's stock price so that it evolves into a nearly flat line near the zero gain point. Today is just another example. The good news is that with some positive news from Tesla, the stock can leap higher, as it has done recently. Shorts are hoping that bad news that can move the stock comes out before that inevitable event. Efforts to diminish the chance of a strong rise in SP for TSLA merely buy the bears time.

2/10. Would not read again. We know what a troll is and we do know how the the term "auto pilot" has been used for decades in the airline industry.

You do, the average public does not. The average poster in this thread is far more educated than the average person.

Last weekend, I tried being an Uber driver on Saturday out of curiosity. I did 3 drives with 4 passengers in the Phoenix area. None of them had any idea what car I was driving (Model S). 3 of them asked me about it. I explained it was a Tesla and electric with no gasoline. One woman asked me who makes Tesla... Ford?

That was 4 days ago in Phoenix.

You do, the average public does not. The average poster in this thread is far more educated than the average person.

Last weekend, I tried being an Uber driver on Saturday out of curiosity. I did 3 drives with 4 passengers in the Phoenix area. None of them had any idea what car I was driving (Model S). 3 of them asked me about it. I explained it was a Tesla and electric with no gasoline. One woman asked me who makes Tesla... Ford?

That was 4 days ago in Phoenix.

Please don't think that the average US citizen, from Arizona or otherwise, is in any way representative of the average global TSLA investor or Tesla owner. Because that's what matters here and now isn't it? What does the average Tesla owner know and understand? What does the average TSLA investor know and understand?

this kinda sounds like a VPP (Virtual Power Plant) nice little info here which includes Tesla and Powerwalls How utilities can prepare for the invasion of the Virtual Power Plants
The terms virtual power plant, microgrid and nanogrid are all interrelated. I think the key difference is in the basic problem one is focused on. If power generation is the primary issue, then VPP is your aggregated solution. If net power consumption is your concern, nanogrid is the word. If managing a local grid and enabling islanding, then microgrid. But in reality all these perspectives overlap. You can use aggregated nanogrids to form a virtual microgrid or power plant. Whatever you call it. Tesla Energy wants to be smack in the middle of it.

Please don't think that the average US citizen, from Arizona or otherwise, is in any way representative of the average global TSLA investor or Tesla owner. Because that's what matters here and now isn't it? What does the average Tesla owner know and understand? What does the average TSLA investor know and understand?

I'm not talking about investors. I'm talking about the public and news reporters. People that are not Tesla or TSLA owners and probably don't understand that AutoPilot does not mean the car fully drives itself. That is EXACTLY what people think when they hear the term AutoPilot. I've been asked about my car driving itself multiple times. I've had people say it would be great for going out drinking and not having to get a taxi or uber, just get in the back seat and let the car drive home, etc. People, on average, do not know what AutoPilot really means.

Reactions: VanE and Matias

You sure you wanna go there? Go re-watch the Q&A section of any recent Tesla annual shareholder's meeting :)

I'm not talking about investors. I'm talking about the public and news reporters. People that are not Tesla or TSLA owners and probably don't understand that AutoPilot does not mean the car fully drives itself. That is EXACTLY what people think when they hear the term AutoPilot. I've been asked about my car driving itself multiple times. I've had people say it would be great for going out drinking and not having to get a taxi or uber, just get in the back seat and let the car drive home, etc. People, on average, do not know what AutoPilot really means.

I believe the point Johan was trying to make is that it is only important that Tesla car owners and shareholders fully comprehend the limitations of Autopilot. What others think is irrelevant.

In this point of view, MBLY seems like a better investment than Tesla, doesn't it?
It's not. They don't own any of the data they scrape and most of the auto manufacturers they work with restrict commingling their data with other auto makers so they can't aggregate their data. As the semi crash and the sighting of the Tesla with Lidar show, there is likely a hybrid sensor/Lidar solution for autonomous driving, leaving Mobileye with some cheap sensors and algorithms. Way overrated.

Status
Not open for further replies.