Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Or someone sold 100,000 shares - is there a way to know whether that was one big purchase with lots of sellers on the other end or one big sale with lots of buyers on the other end?

Very easy way to tell if someone sold or bought 100,000 shares. In the after hours, if you sold 100,000 shares in the after hours, unless someone had a bid in place to buy 100,000 shares at the same time, your order would get registered as multiple orders.

I suppose it's possible someone placed a 100,000 share (all or none) order, but that also means someone was willing to buy 100,000 shares at a 2.5% premium at the same time.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: MikeC
So the closing spread for Tesla over SolarCity is $4.10. This is the tightest I've seen it.

I think the basic market response to TMP2 is confusion and uncertainty, which triggers selling. As investors get a little more clarity confidence should return.

Huge buying opportunity, in my view.

• Informative
Reactions: VanE
Very easy way to tell if someone sold or bought 100,000 shares. In the after hours, if you sold 100,000 shares in the after hours, unless someone had a bid in place to buy 100,000 shares at the same time, your order would get registered as multiple orders.

I suppose it's possible someone placed a 100,000 share (all or none) order, but that also means someone was willing to buy 100,000 shares at a 2.5% premium at the same time.

Is this why after hours is showing $233?

And again, to make it clear to RobStark and others, I'm not opposed to technological advances, and I view them as inevitable. What I oppose is the near complete disregard and/or lack of planning on the part of government for offering help to those who are left behind by rapid change.

I contend that the government isn't always good at this, susceptible to taxpayer's moneys not spent well and/or inadequate/misguided/poorly managed etc... programs. Nor is it only the government's job, or even 50 percent their job. Rather responsibility lies with individuals, public schooling, communities, businesses and the government.

As an example, Tesla invested in the Nevada education system as part of their Gigafactory deal to ensure there would be skilled workers. Maybe they do more of that? Another example, Stratford, On, Canada is already setting their city up for autonomous driving by beginning implementation of city wide WiFi.

The future is all of our responsibilities, including aging workers. But as has been said, a significant portion of the population fights change as if it were the Devil. Adapt or die. I don't want to die without giving my best effort.

Today's price action is kind of crazy. But, more I think of it, more it looks like a short bait. Let me explain why:

1) I do not think longs are bailing out, whether long term or short term. Even those with itchy trigger finger are most likely to wait until GF grand party. When longs crumble you will see it here on this forum. Many longs closed their position or became less bullish after SCTY acquisition announcement. I saw a lot of temper tantrums thrown around. I saw none of such sort yesterday or today and the response so far is overwhelmingly positive.

2) Shorts haven't shown any reduction in their conviction. They show absolutely no doubt or second thoughts about their position. Just check SA, they are as ebullient as ever.

3) As a result, some very smart institutional investors have released/ have been releasing their shares for lending until Acquisition vote date is announced. Their objective is to make money in borrowing costs and amplify the short squeeze. They threw the bait today and shorts took it.

In summary, both longs and shorts have held steadfast in their conviction. But, shorts who had hard time borrowing shares, could find some today and shorted them.

Obama wants to supercharge America.

The White House announced a new designation of up to $4.5 billion in Energy Department loan guarantees to support new types of EV charging infrastructure, plans to designate and develop key electric vehicle “charging corridors” across the country, plans for the government itself to procure large numbers of electric vehicles and research initiatives at the Department of Energy and its laboratories to improve EV charging technologies.

[...]

In one of the new initiatives, Orr said the Energy Department would apply its research abilities to try to find out how to build charging technologies that can power up an EV with a 200-mile range in the space of 10 minutes — far faster than what’s currently available.

The following is a very strong unpaid endorsement from Mike Maloney, GoldSilver.com of Telsa and their MP2. Of significance is at 4:00 mark in the video, as Tesla helped save Mike's life. I have been following Mike as long as Elon, since mid 2012, and have done very well by taking action. You can call me a golden Tesla. Most major gold mining companies were conversely up by 3.5% today.

It is very rare on Mike's site to promote anything other than his mainstay. Mike has a large following that do not necessarily follow technology, green initiatives, electrification of cars, or solar. In other words, a new audience. Most people, especially those that have been following Tesla closely for some time, have little idea that the average person (I believe 99%) knows next to nothing about Tesla. One day soon they will get it. To them now the MP2 would be like stating one day we will walk on Mars! Elon is on the cusp of greatness. Enjoy the ride.

Elon Musk Reveals Tesla Master Plan - GoldSilver.com

Today's price action is kind of crazy. But, more I think of it, more it looks like a short bait. Let me explain why:

1) I do not think longs are bailing out, whether long term or short term. Even those with itchy trigger finger are most likely to wait until GF grand party. When longs crumble you will see it here on this forum. Many longs closed their position or became less bullish after SCTY acquisition announcement. I saw a lot of temper tantrums thrown around. I saw none of such sort yesterday or today and the response so far is overwhelmingly positive.

2) Shorts haven't shown any reduction in their conviction. They show absolutely no doubt or second thoughts about their position. Just check SA, they are as ebullient as ever.

3) As a result, some very smart institutional investors have released/ have been releasing their shares for lending until Acquisition vote date is announced. Their objective is to make money in borrowing costs and amplify the short squeeze. They threw the bait today and shorts took it.

In summary, both longs and shorts have held steadfast in their conviction. But, shorts who had hard time borrowing shares, could find some today and shorted them.

While I don't disagree with your summary I think it's quite a stretch to judge investor sentiment by what's going on in this forum. The sample is way skewed. Most here were pretty convinced there will be a 5+% pop from master plan release. I was wrong too, I thought it just won't do much. Why would any long-term investors care about short-term short squeeze? That looks to me like another fallacy that gets perpetuated here with not much rational justification. How would big hands benefit? Get SEC chasing them for market manipulation?

Reactions: Matias
As was the case with the original master plan written ten years ago, Elon’s update provided a broad but brief strategic outline for roughly the next ten years. Each step is expected to bring in revenue to largely pay for the next one. Although continued advancement toward the stated goals should make it not difficult to raise any necessary additional funds.

Today we heard from analysts who would have preferred financial details of a type found in shorter term business plans. They have not been trained to see beyond near term expectations. Their valuation models do not allow for long term potential. So they grumble and present opportunity to more farsighted investors.

I think the basic issue with an announcement like this is that it creates short term uncertainty. So many times we've seen this: positive development announced with negative price reaction to follow. Certainly we can pin blame on shorts, but it's also true that even positive news can induce anxiety, confusion, and disorientation. In short, uncertainty pushes the sell button.

A vision that is bold and unexpected will induce a certain degree of disorientation. So take the time to ready through it again, relax over the weekend, and next week should make much more sense.

Thanks for the detailed response jhm. I agree with many of your points. I still think highway electrification offers cost, space, transport, and maintenance efficiencies. As battery tech continues to improve I would be happy to be wrong about this. I'll throw a few back of the napkin numbers out.

Based on your #s and the # of semi's in NA, Trucking Statistics - Truckinfo.net, the battery cost would be ~ 1000 kWh / 20% battery utilization x $500/kWh x 2.2M trucks = $5.5T. That's a lot of highway overhead charging line. Something like 90% of the trucking happens on 10% of the roadways, and main interstates and transcontinental highways are unlikely to relocate imho.
$500 kWh is crazy. Tesla announced a while ago that their pack cost is under $190 per kWh. That surprised quite a few people. I had previously analyzed their costs and $190 was the worst case price. I believe it's under $170 kWh.

When they announced the GF they said that by the end of 2027 it would conservatively reduce costs by 30%, and by 2020 by 50%, plus any cell chemistry cost reductions. They recently got permits for about $400 million for adding a GF building module plus roughly the same amount for the associated cell manufacturing equipment. But that's 3x the output in the original plans! So I believe that something like 50-70% cost reductions are more likely now.

Create a smoothly integrated and beautiful solar-roof-with-battery product that just works, empowering the individual as their own utility, and then scale that throughout the world. One ordering experience, one installation, one service contact, one phone app.
<Snip>
Now that Tesla is ready to scale Powerwall
and SolarCity is ready to provide highly differentiated solar, the time has come to bring them together.

One lesson from the M3 reveal is that price matters. Three things will have a huge impact on the SCTY TSLA merger, the future of TE, and the success of SMP2. The cost of panels, the cost of batteries and Tesla's production capabilities. We don't know how much those costs are but we know that they are slated to fall drastically and if Elon can do the following (and given his track record I wouldn't bet against him):
What really matters to accelerate a sustainable future is being able to scale up production volume as quickly as possible. That is why Tesla engineering has transitioned to focus heavily on designing the machine that makes the machine -- turning the factory itself into a product. A first principles physics analysis of automotive production suggests that somewhere between a 5 to 10 fold improvement is achievable by version 3 on a roughly 2 year iteration cycle. The first Model 3 factory machine should be thought of as version 0.5, with version 1.0 probably in 2018.
Currently state of the art car factories spit out a car about every 27 seconds. Five times as fast in six years is huge! The market is failing to factor in the reduced costs of panels (we know that solar is going to the the cheapest energy source) or the reduced costs of batteries. By 2017 I think he means that they will be producing an M3 at about a rate of at least (using 5x as the goal) one car per 23 seconds and about every 20 seconds by 2018. But the market is foolishly counting Tesla's ability to produce cars as a negative! Wait until they apply the same methods to panels! The skeptics will be peeing in their shorts.

Why would any long-term investors care about short-term short squeeze?

That looks to me like another fallacy that gets perpetuated here with not much rational justification. How would big hands benefit? Get SEC chasing them for market manipulation?
Long-term investor or short-term trader, (thread title btw) two opportunities to make a killing isn't of interest you?

The justification is that the big funds will call in shares to vote on the merger. Some are even required to do that. If you owned a few 100k of shares would you want a bunch of random shorts voting for you?

Status
Not open for further replies.