Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
For those of you worried about the impact to Model 3 timelines, I was able to dig up some good news.

The EyeQ3 product that MBLY said they will continue to support is what TSLA is going to use in the model 3 and also uses in Model S/X. I am not sure how many of these chips are in S/X, but here is an article from electrek saying that the model 3 will have 5 of these chips.

Where in that article you find that information?
"Aviram didn’t disclose which automaker is testing the system"

Reactions: hobbes and MP3Mike
74 mph is 108 feet per second. A stopped tractor trailer in a left turn lane cannot cross the fast lane of a highway and get its cab ~25ft past the slow lane and onto the cross street in less than about 4-5 seconds. He should have had at least 500-1000 ft to react and avoid the collision. According to this: 2014 Tesla Model S 60 - Instrumented Test a Tesla S can stop from 70mph to zero in ~160-175ft.

I did some calculations for this. It can be as little as 2 seconds, depending on the speed the truck driver was going. If the truck was moving at 10 mph at the beginning of the turn, going into the lane, then in about 2.2 seconds, the truck would be in the position for the accident.

Clearly, a human is likely to react in time if the human wasn't distracted. But if the human was distracted sufficiently, including just staring at something at the side of the road, then 2-3 seconds is all that is needed for this accident. If the truck was moving faster than 10 mph at the start of the turn, then there is less time... at 15 mph, that's about 1.5 seconds.

Reactions: hobbes
I did some calculations for this. It can be as little as 2 seconds, depending on the speed the truck driver was going. If the truck was moving at 10 mph at the beginning of the turn, going into the lane, then in about 2.2 seconds, the truck would be in the position for the accident.

Clearly, a human is likely to react in time if the human wasn't distracted. But if the human was distracted sufficiently, including just staring at something at the side of the road, then 2-3 seconds is all that is needed for this accident. If the truck was moving faster than 10 mph at the start of the turn, then there is less time... at 15 mph, that's about 1.5 seconds.

Lanes are 12 feet wide minimum in USA.

Per the NTSB report here: http://www.ntsb.gov/investigations/AccidentReports/Pages/HWY16FH018-preliminary.aspx there is a 75 foot wide median on US-27A at the location of the crash. So the truck had to travel 112 ft (75, minus the 12 ft left turn lane, plus the 12 foot fast lane, plus the 12 foot slow lane plus 25 feet or so of truck past the slow lane further) in which Mr. Brown had to react. If the truck traveled an average of 15mph, that 112 ft would have taken 5 seconds to traverse. Semi's don't usually take 90 degree corners much faster than that.

Lanes are 12 feet wide minimum in USA.

Per the NTSB report here: Highway Preliminary Report HWY16FH018 there is a 75 foot wide median on US-27A at the location of the crash. So the truck had to travel 112 ft (75, minus the 12 ft left turn lane, plus the 12 foot fast lane, plus the 12 foot slow lane plus 25 feet or so of truck past the slow lane further) in which Mr. Brown had to react. If the truck traveled an average of 15mph, that 112 ft would have taken 5 seconds to traverse. Semi's don't usually take 90 degree corners much faster than that.

Depends on the starting point of the truck. An aggressive driver can be right at the edge of the lane. The truck only needs to traverse the 12 feet + 20 feet for the cab + a margin of 2-5 feet. So 35 feet or so is the minimum. A full turn takes 16 seconds safely:

Starting at 5 seconds at the video the truck starts the turn into the lane. Then it's at 12 seconds when the rear wheels clear the lane. However, this is a training video. It's basically the high end of the time, which is 7 seconds. A driver that is far more aggressive, moving faster at the start of the turn (15 mph) and accelerating into the turn can drop that time to under 2 seconds.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: hobbes and DrJohnM

The potential radius the truck driver could have turned on (because of the unusual intersection geometry to facilitate cross-over traffic during highway construction) is sufficient that his speed could have been as high as 15 mph. We just don't know how fast he was going yet. He has reportedly said he was stopped prior to crossing the lanes in the direction the Tesla was traveling. That may or may not be true. In some aspects, this is a hard accident to reconstruct, as the contact between the trailer and the Tesla was somewhat superficial. If the Tesla had struck the rear axle of the trailer, it would have been both easier to reconstruct and more survivable. Still, I'd love to see good photos of tire marks or scrape marks left by the Tesla as it went under the trailer, and their degree of lateral movement. The same with the path of damage left by the Tesla's A-pillars as it passed under the trailer. If the truck driver's speed was relatively high, and he hadn't started across lanes from a stop, this might have been a very difficult accident to avoid either by human or computer.

It's also not clear what data (if any) is stored by Tesla's airbag module. Most other luxury cars would have stored both the longitudinal and lateral accelerations measured by the airbag module, along with much else. If Tesla records this information, it's required by law (CFR49, Part 563 and NPRM 2012-12-07) to offer a commercially available tool to download it. To date, no such tool has been offered.

This was a unique accident. The thing that made the trailer difficult to detect by the Tesla's radar (it's distance above the ground) also made it a fatal accident. All the other accidents reported on this forum involving Autopilot (claimed use or otherwise) were far more ordinary, where the vehicle structure struck was something typically struck in accidents, and was designed to both crush in controlled fashion and to prevent intrusion to the passenger compartment. None of those other accidents were fatal for that reason.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: MitchJi
tslajul26pre.jpg
Looking at today's trading chart, I see the kind of deep plunges into the red, followed by immediate near-recoveries, which characterize shorts selling-in with largish orders in order to depress the SP. I haven't seen this kind of trading for a while. Overall, I think the shorts have circled the wagons and are trying to fend off further upward movement of TSLA today. It's looking like they won't be particularly successful because the SP keeps rising. Expect a bit of a fight in the red/green transition area.

Well, with the new images, he hit much further behind the cab of the truck. So under 2 seconds is unlikely. But could still be around 3 seconds.

I'm sure all of you have come to an intersection where someone is timing their crossing with your crossing... and you are at the mercy of them timing it properly. If someone looks like they weren't going to cross, and then guns it to cross, you as a driver may have diverted your attention elsewhere with the assumption that they weren't going to cross.

So basically, it comes to what speed was the truck going before gunning it to cross into the right lane.

My argument is that a) there are 2 lanes the truck had to cross, and as far as I understand it, Mr. Brown was in the slow lane. and b) you would know the truck was coming as soon as it began traversing the 75ft median, and so you would know it planned to enter the roadway before it actually did, if you were paying attention.

Whether he had 3 seconds or 5 is somewhat immaterial, since the Tesla should have been able to stop in significantly less than 2.

As expected, the battle for 230 this afternoon is ferocious. In this corner, wearing black, is the short team which engineered a plunge of $0.75 as TSLA approached the $230 mark 20 minutes ago. And in this corner, wearing the white trunks, is the TSLA team, with longs trying to get in a purchase before the results of the gigafactory media day begins. The battle is ferocious, folks, with lots at stake for the winner.

Now showing $0.10 from $230, ... oops it's now $0.14 now.

• Funny
Reactions: tander and DrJohnM
As expected, the battle for 230 this afternoon is ferocious. In this corner, wearing black, is the short team which engineered a plunge of $0.75 as TSLA approached the $230 mark 20 minutes ago. And in this corner, wearing the white trunks, is the TSLA team, with longs trying to get in a purchase before the results of the gigafactory media day begins. The battle is ferocious, folks, with lots at stake for the winner.

Now showing $0.10 from $230, ... oops it's now $0.14 now.
Come on Longs! I predicted a green close if we hit 229, don't let me down by a cent off my prediction like you did yesterday!

Status
Not open for further replies.