Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm actually pretty sure it does. We went from "0 shares available to short" to hundreds of thousands on Tuesday. And then look at the price action on Wednesday and Thursday.... and you can also follow the whittling away at the available shares to short at IB.

There were clearly bears sitting on the sidelines waiting for shares to become *available* to short, and they shorted them when they became available. All at once. The real question is: who suddenly dumped hundreds of thousands of shares into the lending market?

Here is how shares available to short looked at Fidelity today. My advise for anybody saying that shorting had nothing to do with SP movement is to just compare this table with the TSLA chart...

Snap1.png

Here is how shares available to short looked at Fidelity today. My advise for anybody saying that shorting had nothing to do with SP movement is to just compare this table with the TSLA chart...

View attachment 192560
Only comment is that since interest rate has be steady since past few days, doesn't that mean there are more shares to short available - may not be at this brokerage but in general.

Lump, I noticed that you rated my last post "funny". I admit that perhaps the individuals or brokerages making hundreds of thousands of shares available to short might have had absolutely no hand in driving the SP down to 220. But let me ask you a question. With the stock price sitting at 220, a previously-strong support number and just below the 50 dma and right at the 200 dma, don't you see anything odd about hundreds of thousands of shares to short being introduced right at that price? Do you explain this correlation between this critical stock price and the release of great numbers of new shares to short as purely coincidence? Please offer an alternative explanation if laughter is your public position on this matter. Thanks.

Last edited:
@Papafox You have a gift of blaming short sellers, manipulators or weak longs for whenever the SP drops but never poor management decisions, missed deadlines etc...its always the uninformed evil short seller thats to blame for the sell off so I was expected your post & you didn't disappoint so I got a nice chuckle.

I don't have a public comment on the "epic" short squeeze theory some of you have been relentlessly pushing here, if it works out for you guys after all this due diligence then congratulations & you deserve the profits if it fails then it would be nice admitting you were totally wrong.

No. His delayed his blog post BEFORE the rocket blew up. The blog post was due yesterday, the rocket blew up today.

Per his twitter account: Tweets with replies by Elon Musk (@elonmusk) | Twitter

10 hrs ago tweet about rocket incident
7 hrs ago tweet about postponement

Yep, a bit further down is his tweet about posting the blog later on the Aug 31. When was the last time he met an original deadline/date? I certainly would have taken the bet that he'd miss it. Why not tweet postponement 12hrs ago? Or right after Aug 31st ended? You think he was still talking to shareholders at 3am this morning?

I think you're looking for something that's not there. But let's go with it anyway. Media reports on filing that Elon already knew all about. It doesn't faze him because it means nothing. Starts working on the blog post. Shareholders panic? Shareholders reassured all day long, all night long and into the wee hours of today and he misses posting the blog on Aug 31. Rocket problems Sept 1. Blog postponed. World continues to spin.

I don't have a public comment on the "epic" short squeeze theory some of you have been relentlessly pushing here, if it works out for you guys after all this due diligence then congratulations & you deserve the profits if it fails then it would be nice admitting you were totally wrong.

I'm sure they'll get in line right behind all the vaporware/bankrupt any day now/short the stock at $30, at $90, at $150 bears. ;)

The animosity is interesting for a while, but I've never understood being *mad* about something day after day after day. Why not just walk away and find something to be 'not mad' about? Or do we like being negative, cynical and angry?

I'm sure they'll get in line right behind all the vaporware/bankrupt any day now/short the stock at $30, at $90, at $150 bears. ;)

The animosity is interesting for a while, but I've never understood being *mad* about something day after day after day. Why not just walk away and find something to be 'not mad' about? Or do we like being negative, cynical and angry?
Some are mad for genuine reasons, those whose jobs are in jeopardy in the ICE, dealership, or oil&gas industries. Many are paid full time bloggers especially on Seeking Alpha, thanks to the generous contributions from the likes of Koch brothers. For example, the sewer septic guy from Montana, the Illogical Thoughts guy, Wonton Walnut guy, the crap Marley lady, etc.,

What is really happening is an all out war waged by the entrenched legacy industries determined to destroy Tesla. They are determined to do everything they could to nip Tesla in the bud. Misinformation campaign is one powerful weapon they have.

What is really happening is an all out war waged by the entrenched legacy industries determined to destroy Tesla. They are determined to do everything they could to nip Tesla in the bud. Misinformation campaign is one powerful weapon they have.

Well Elon sometimes doesn't help here. i get why and what he is saying regarding gross margins and cash expense from investing, but he needs to show that he can hit a cash flow neutral quarter from time to time.

Reactions: SunCatcher and pGo
@Papafox You have a gift of blaming short sellers, manipulators or weak longs for whenever the SP drops but never poor management decisions, missed deadlines etc...its always the uninformed evil short seller thats to blame for the sell off so I was expected your post & you didn't disappoint so I got a nice chuckle.

Actually, this is demonstrably false - you did have a few. It is just that the public comments are hollow - snarky stuff intermingled with personal attacks, nothing of substance.

The whole second paragraph in this post is quite indicative - seem to be completely unrelated to the question asked by Papafox, so why stick it there? I am also curious whom exactly are you quoting above? Yourself?

• Love
Reactions: SW2Fiddler and gene
Lump and I can joust somewhat amicably because we enjoyed a few good hours together one January day with our Teslas parked next to each other, trying to watch a Falcon 9 take off from Vandenberg but all we got was a mighty roar coming through the fog and a spectacular cow stampede on the hillside. At no time did I declare the fog the work of the short-sellers.

Still, we see things quite differently. In the past two months, the one day of this period that I saw TSLA teetering on a real make-it-or-break-it point was this Monday morning when we opened after closing at 219.99, a penny under the 220 support level and right next to the 50dma and 200dma. We could have bounced back into the 220-230 trading range where we've been for weeks, or we could dip below. It just so happened that tens of thousands of new shares to short suddenly appeared at IB, even though the shares to short at Fidelity had started well above 200,000 and managed to become depleted quickly as the week went on. So, you can imagine the confusion as IB starts showing more and more shares available to short on the one day in a two month period when the shares to short could do longs the most harm. Coincidence? I'd place the odds of that at 1 in 60. Someone calculating the release of these new short shares to create a selling-spree by the shorts just as TSLA is balanced on the edge of its support level? That explanation is a whole lot more believable than the coincidence theory.

Why take the time to try and sort out whether the normal workings of the market caused a price drop or whether that drop came about through some external manipulation? We need to understand what moves the SP so that we stand a chance of anticipating what is to come. Further, some types of manipulation have a short shelf-life and the SP bounces back afterwards. Why bother to determine whether shares are available to short or not, and how many? Because once shares to short dry up, we typically see a noticeable improvement in how TSLA is trading. Why be aware of external manipulations, including FUD? Once you understand how significantly they can affect the SP, you may wish to adjust your thinking about short-term options vs. longer-term trading techniques.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for posting the above link to the article. Here is an interesting quote from the article:
'[...] and Wednesday’s regulatory filing showing he has put up an additional $489 million of his Tesla and SolarCity stock as collateral to secure personal borrowings. The pledged shares are stripped out of his total net worth calculation because they’re not immediately available to him. The borrowing is for personal liquidity; he doesn’t even accept the $37,584 minimum-wage salary Tesla is required to pay him.'

What could be the purpose of this money?
Positive: EM wants to add to his SC position again.
Negative: EM needs the money for SpaceX after the latest incident with the Facebook satellite destroyed?
Any thoughts?

Edit:
Any chance that these are the additional shares that have been added to shares available to short?

What could be the purpose of this money?
Positive: EM wants to add to his SC position again.
Negative: EM needs the money for SpaceX after the latest incident with the Facebook satellite destroyed?
Any thoughts?

Edit:
Any chance that these are the additional shares that have been added to shares available to short?

Well, he did buy 100Mio of SCTY bonds so that's a part of the 459Mio.

• Informative
Reactions: ev-enthusiast
For all you VIN counters out there, 19,6XX was just assigned for an X. That's a pretty high number. I think X deliveries could approach 10k for Q3.

There is definitely a pick up on the VIN assignments the last two weeks but generally with a delivery estimate of October, so that won't help this quarter. Maybe Tesla can hurry up and get some of these in customer hand's by the end of the quarter? Anyway, if orders are picking up, that's all good, even if it means Q4 delivery. Guidance was for the full H2 anyway.

Reactions: Zhelko Dimic
Status
Not open for further replies.