Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
tslasep15pre2.JPG
I'm looking for opinions on something. At exactly 12 noon, we saw 16,000+ shares sold in a minute and TSLA took a dip. Now, we know this isn't short selling because there are no shares available to short, it makes no sense with such a smooth upward curve for an investor to offer 10,000+ shares for sale at market prices at one time (especially with today's low volume), and I'm thinking we saw some type of dip start (for whatever reason) and the algobots jumped on it. Your thoughts?

Reactions: neroden
Tesla Energy just signed a huge contract in SoCal.

Last week, through a competitive process, Tesla was selected to provide a 20 MW/80 MWh Powerpack system at the Southern California Edison Mira Loma substation. Tesla was the only bidder awarded a utility-owned storage project out of the solicitation.

Upon completion, this system will be the largest lithium ion battery storage project in the world. When fully charged, this system will hold enough energy to power more than 2,500 households for a day or charge 1,000 Tesla vehicles.

Addressing Peak Energy Demand with the Tesla Powerpack

I've been wanting to add for a last hour now, but I'm afraid of buying at the peak.

Emotions work against a stock trader. Come up with a plan, see if the market supports your plan, and execute it.

Edit: Consider important news stories in your decision, especially breaking stories that haven't yet been widely disseminated.

Last edited:
I've been wanting to add for a last hour now, but I'm afraid of buying at the peak.
I find that whatever move I make, the market immediately punishes me for without fail.
You can't do this on Model 3. Disclaimer; I would rather buy Model 3. My point is just that there is some use of that extra volume and that it can increase practicality.

View attachment 194570

I wouldn't be so quick to say I can't do this in a Model 3. Yes, it won't have a hatchback, and that will limit somewhat, but if you could get it through a doorway, you probably could fit it in a Model 3. Certainly, I expect Model Y will deal with this. There are certainly some applications for which tall-headroom is a useful thing. Generally, though, cargo width and depth are more important than height, and Bolt is certainly lacking in the width department.

Hatchbacks aren't necessarily all great either: 92-95 Honda Civic Hatchbacks couldn't have done this either.

Last week, through a competitive process, Tesla was selected to provide a 20 MW/80 MWh Powerpack system at the Southern California Edison Mira Loma substation. Tesla was the only bidder awarded a utility-owned storage project out of the solicitation.

Upon completion, this system will be the largest lithium ion battery storage project in the world. When fully charged, this system will hold enough energy to power more than 2,500 households for a day or charge 1,000 Tesla vehicles.

Nice!! I know exactly where that substation is! I go to a warehouse nearby for business. Nice to see more utility contracts happening for TE!

Wow, that's an impressive system! Hopefully a sign that TE will be off to the races soon ....

Edit: Looks like it is:

"Following the leak, California Governor Jerry Brown issued a state of emergency, and in May, the California Public Utilities Commission mandated an accelerated procurement for energy storage. Southern California Edison, among other utilities, was directed to solicit a utility-scale storage solution that could be operational by December 31, 2016. Unlike traditional electric generators, batteries can be deployed quickly at scale and do not require any water or gas pipelines.

<snip>

"The Gigafactory's ability to produce at a large scale will allow this system to be manufactured, shipped, installed and commissioned in three months. The system will charge using electricity from the grid during off-peak hours and then deliver electricity during peak hours to help maintain the reliable operation of Southern California Edison's electrical infrastructure which feeds more than 15 million residents. By doing so, the Tesla Powerpack system will reduce the need for electricity generated by natural gas and further the advancement of a resilient and modern grid."​

Last edited:
Enough dislike clicks and TSLA will collapse!

I wonder how many emails he got at that Yahoo email now? "Hey this is Jason. OMG So blowing away every metric!"

So if one was of the opinion that the merger was 100%, there is literally no reason not to convert all TSLA holdings to SCTY right? Thinking this is going to be one of those forehead-slapping missed opportunities.

I'm not missing this one. Didn't bet the farm, but this is the last chance I'll have to get free TSLA shares in the space of a few weeks. Can't believe so many have bought the negative press hook, line and sinker.

Wow, that's an impressive system! Hopefully a sign that TE will be off to the races soon ....

Edit: Looks like it is:

"Following the leak, California Governor Jerry Brown issued a state of emergency, and in May, the California Public Utilities Commission mandated an accelerated procurement for energy storage. Southern California Edison, among other utilities, was directed to solicit a utility-scale storage solution that could be operational by December 31, 2016. Unlike traditional electric generators, batteries can be deployed quickly at scale and do not require any water or gas pipelines.

<snip>

"The Gigafactory's ability to produce at a large scale will allow this system to be manufactured, shipped, installed and commissioned in three months. The system will charge using electricity from the grid during off-peak hours and then deliver electricity during peak hours to help maintain the reliable operation of Southern California Edison's electrical infrastructure which feeds more than 15 million residents. By doing so, the Tesla Powerpack system will reduce the need for electricity generated by natural gas and further the advancement of a resilient and modern grid."​

Wow, the gigafactory is designed to produce the 2170 cells, and if these are rolling out of the Panasonic buildings and into the Tesla building(s) during October, this would signal the beginning of serious output by TE and would definitely be a SP catalyst. What we need is confirmation from Tesla when the cells start to roll.

Edit: checking the couch for loose change now.

Wow, the gigafactory is designed to produce the 2170 cells, and if these are rolling out of the Panasonic buildings and into the Tesla building(s) during October, this would signal the beginning of serious output by TE and would definitely be a SP catalyst. What we need is confirmation from Tesla when the cells start to roll.

I shook some out from a chair earlier this morning.;)

• Funny
Reactions: stealthology

At these share prices, the market has completely discounted future Tesla Energy revenues as even being a thing. This is like a wake-up call that they are indeed coming soon and could be a massive profit center. Imagine when Tesla decides to push the accelerator there - Techmaven's prognostications of staggering revenues hitting the TSLA bottom line could come to fruition.

There will be more of this, and it will be good.

*Oh also - to ramp revenues for Tesla Energy products, Tesla needs to hire a bunch of qualified people. If only there was a company with an experienced, ready-made sustainable energy team whose management was already friendly and familiar with Tesla products and has knowledge of the US energy market - we could maybe just buy that company. If only we could find such a company. ;)

At these share prices, the market has completely discounted future Tesla Energy revenues as even being a thing. This is like a wake-up call that they are indeed coming soon and could be a massive profit center. Imagine when Tesla decides to push the accelerator there - Techmaven's prognostications of staggering revenues hitting the TSLA bottom line could come to fruition.

There will be more of this, and it will be good.

Totally agree.

This contract, plus GF cell production starting soon, could position Tesla to provide credible guidance on TE revenues etc. much sooner than many people expect.

• Love
Reactions: dha

No way this could be done with 2170 cells from the GigaFactory based on the state of things in the Panasonic portion at the GigaParty. I think they are just stretching a little bit since the assembly of PowerPacks is done at the GigaFactory.

Status
Not open for further replies.