Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with the others that it certainly doesn't seem like TSLA is concerned that the merger won't go through. Hiring someone on 300k salary and 5M in options, and announcing a joint product unveiling are not things you would do if you had any doubt the merger might flop.

Hopefully the market sees this too and starts closing the arbitrage gap.

Many traders convinced they knew more than the boards of Tesla and SCTY combined are beginning to understand that their emotion-driven bets on the SCTY merger to fall through are going to fail. Not only will the merger complete sucessfully, it now appears that it will add significant value and will in the end result in a more well-integrated combined company, better positioned to capture even more of the growing solar, storage and BEV markets.

Last one out's a rotten egg.

Let's see if I understand this correctly, because it's an issue that could hugely influencing the next few days of trading. A total of 5.4 million shares of TSLA have been recalled in the past two weeks, but volume and SP strongly suggest that the shorts have not delivered all those shares. Many are likely waiting for the recall date to be announced, which could open the floodgates of new TSLA shares available to short, would result in a drop in price to TSLA, and would allow the shorts who have failed to deliver their shares to deliver less expensively. If Tesla does not announce the record day right away, those shorts who need to deliver shares get pressured into buying shares to cover, which would move TSLA up.

On the other hand, Tesla has inspiration to announce the record date soon, so that the ballots can be prepared and mailed. If Musk feels he has the votes to pass the SCTY merger question, he doesn't want to delay very long. With Electrek.co reporting that it believes the vote will be completed before Tesla's October 28 presentation, time is getting short.

The plot thickens because if shorts are not delivering the recalled shares, Tesla has a reason to delay the announcement of the recall date because the votes Musk is looking for may require that those shares be recalled and voted and the recall of the shares would give a nice boost to the SP in the short run. The stock price is important because it will influence the SCTY merger vote. If shorts do not deliver the required shares before Tesla announces the record date, then we see a drop in the SP (because some shares have indeed been recalled and would return to the wild) without first realizing the rise in the SP that the recall of all those shares would have brought.

So, the worse case scenario is that Tesla announces the recall date soon, shorts pile back in and we see a short-term drop in the SP. The best case scenario is that Tesla holds off announcing the record date, forcing the shorts to cover, which bids the SP up, perhaps a lot. Tesla doesn't announce the record date until the SP is rising rapidly, especially if the announced date happens after stunning Q3 delivery numbers are announced, and if this good news precedes the record date announcement, the availability of shares to short might be inconsequential because potential short sellers would not be inclined to jump in when the SP is rising rapidly on good news.

I am glad you said this. I am bullish due to Q3 results, but if anything this recall issue seems to be bad for the stock not good. If there was pressure to recall shares it would have been visible as a runup in the price. Even worse, if there is evidence of some substantial recalls and the price is flat, that means that longs must be getting out to balance it out. So if the record date was announced to be today, "recall theory" predicts the stock would plunge since many more shares would be available to short.

I hope someone smarter than me is indeed gaming the date. The scenario you lay out is awesome and good for TSLA investors but Elon has not shown a lot of interest in gaming things for us lately.

I am glad you said this. I am bullish due to Q3 results, but if anything this recall issue seems to be bad for the stock not good. If there was pressure to recall shares it would have been visible as a runup in the price. Even worse, if there is evidence of some substantial recalls and the price is flat, that means that longs must be getting out to balance it out. So if the record date was announced to be today, "recall theory" predicts the stock would plunge since many more shares would be available to short.

I hope someone smarter than me is indeed gaming the date. The scenario you lay out is awesome and good for TSLA investors but Elon has not shown a lot of interest in gaming things for us lately.
If a secondary offering is coming in the next couple of months, i dont think Elon wants a stock price plunge.

Reactions: Turing and Jayjs20

Possible silver lining: EM does hate shorts

Many traders convinced they knew more than the boards of Tesla and SCTY combined are beginning to understand that their emotion-driven bets on the SCTY merger to fall through are going to fail. Not only will the merger complete sucessfully, it now appears that it will add significant value and will in the end result in a more well-integrated combined company, better positioned to capture even more of the growing solar, storage and BEV markets.

Last one out's a rotten egg.

The
Game
Is
Up??

Reactions: tander and FluxCap

Well, this time he did clearly imply he would like to see a good SP the rest of the year. He might not be against jumpstarting that move up by timing things, like timing Q3 deliveries and cashflow. Timing of the Oct 28 announcement and the new hire was most likely also not a coincidence.

SCTY is going up more rapidly than TSLA and within a 10 min. period, by eyeball estimate, from 1.00 % (absolute) to 2% difference.

Currently SCTY up 3% and climbing, TSLA up 1.67% and climbing. SCTY is indeed closing the gap, though the gap remains quite large:

SCTY @ 19.29 at time of writing / 0.11 exchange ratio = still like buying TSLA for $175.36

Currently SCTY up 3% and climbing, TSLA up 1.67% and climbing. SCTY is indeed closing the gap, though the gap remains quite large:

SCTY @ 19.29 at time of writing / 0.11 exchange ratio = still like buying TSLA for $175.36

Geez my large purchase of SCTY at $17.08 is shaping up to be one of my better market timings.

Well, this time he did clearly imply he would like to see a good SP the rest of the year. He might not be against jumpstarting that move up by timing things, like timing Q3 deliveries and cashflow. Timing of the Oct 28 announcement and the new hire was most likely also not a coincidence.

Maybe this time it will be different. At the beginning of the year the great "Down then UP" theory held that Elon and Wheeler were going to game the year for us-- pushing bad news into earlier quarters and blowing out Q3 for the purpose of causing easier cap raises. Then they did cap raises anyway and blew out the theory, since if he was preparing this move there was no logical reason to do the raises with the lower stock price. Perhaps the theory is ready for a renaissance.

Reactions: Jonathan Hewitt
Can someone explain why using recycled packs for energy storage "doesn't make economic sense"? I know JB/Elon have said it but I don't understand it from them either. It costs money to recycle and reuse the battery materials. It costs virtually nothing to just plug them into a sort of rack system designed for that. You can imagine, inside the GF, a big rack in the air conditioned interior where they just hook up the power and coolant loops. Who cares if the capacity is 80%, or 60 or 20% for that matter? Presumably they plan to use their own product in the Fremont and Sparks factories. What more cost effective solution than recycled materials?
Elon and JB have said that the best way to recycle cells is to use the materials in the cells to make new cells, optimized for the specific application. If Tesla's packs made with new materials cost them $90 per kWh and the majority of the cost is the materials (JB said that their cell costs are essentially the materials costs) then cells made from recycled cells would have to cost less than ~$30 per kWh. BMW on the other hand is looking at pack costs where the materials are a much smaller percentage of the overall costs. It's the same reason that they think that PHEV's are the only way they can compete.

I used $90 per kWh as a pack cost because I'm very confident that Tesla's cost will be substantially less than that by the end of 2017. Thanks DaveT whose skepticism prompted my analysis!
Tesla, MobileEye, and deep learning
Tesla and MobileEye, which supplies artificial vision technology for driving, had a public falling out. I recently watched a video where MobileEye CTO, Amnon Shashua, says end to end deep learning for autonomous driving is not possible. He claims it’s relatively easy to get a demo that works 90% of the time, but exponentially more difficult to get something that works 99.999% of the time. He claims essentially that it would require an infinite amount of data to reach a reasonable level of safety. He talks about corner cases such as rare or unusual vehicles that will be difficult to detect and identify with a camera.
Corner cases have nothing to do with Tesla's decision to emphasize radar over cameras. The problem with cameras is that they can't always "see". Through snow, or rain, at night or with glare (which is the problem they had in Texas). Tesla's current solution has a weakness. What happens when there's a truck broken down under a sign that you're programmed to ignore?

Corner cases do present an extremely high hurdle for deep learning. Elon specifically mentioned that problem when he talked about the reasons he didn't believe that it's possible for Hotz to beat Tesla's system, What do you you do if you have a choice between driving off the road and running over a small child? How many miles do you need to have the situation present itself enough times for the system to learn the desired behavior? That doesn't even seem like an extremely rare corner case, but have you ever been confronted with that choice? What about if going off the road means going off a cliff?

Last edited:
Reactions: StapleGun and dha
Status
Not open for further replies.