Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Was at the Oak Brook,IL Tesla store the past Saturday chatting with the rep. He was an X Apple Store employee that been with tesla a few years. There was no MX to test drive as all of them are sold. Usually there is a couple. However MS couple was still available but he said one of them was purchased and will be gone that night. I asked about the purchase ratio mix of MS Vs MX and he would put it about 50:50.

There are 3 versions of the 90 kWh battery. There is a cut off date where older cars can't take the newer 90 kWh battery. Presumably there are a few 90's that can take the 100 kWh battery, but most cannot. I do wonder if some of those are actually 100's.

I need to find time to post about it, but my research indicates that 100kWh batteries have new cooling and cell interconnection system. I think that incompatibility is likely due to these changes, rather that physical size differences mentioned by the service rep.

• Informative
Reactions: ev-enthusiast
Indeed a steadfast man with bold vision. Hope your judgement will materialize as I'm also long. But as for margin trades would think is more practical for short term long due to interest rate issues.
Fidelity margin rates are 3.75% for margin balance over $500K which is pretty low if you can accomplish long term returns of over 30% annualized with TSLA
Even 6.5 % interest rate for margin below $500k but above $100K is reasonable
I make it a point to borrow at least $500k to keep my margin rate low

• Informative
Reactions: Jonathan Hewitt
Here's IB as of right now:

View attachment 196235

No shares of SCTY available to short and only 12,337 (EDIT 4,937) of TSLA available at 79.97% interest rate.

EDITED - shares available updated

There is 0 TSLA shares available to short at Fidelity, with interest rate steady at 25%.
0 SCTY shares available to short, interest rate 36.5%

This is surprising. I am wondering why institutions are not making recalled shares available to short now, that record date have passed. Did they got disgusted taking short sellers money?

Edit: if we continue to see low availability of TSLA shares and high interest rate, SP will likely have a run-up ahead of the Q3 deliveries announcement.

Fidelity margin rates are 3.75% for margin balance over $500K which is pretty low if you can accomplish long term returns of over 30% annualized with TSLA
Even 6.5 % interest rate for margin below $500k but above $100K is reasonable
I make it a point to borrow at least $500k to keep my margin rate low

Additionally, with Fidelity you can lend your shares out at a much higher rate than the margin rate. Last month I averaged over 10% lending the shares out.

I need to find time to post about it, but my research indicates that 100kWh batteries have new cooling and cell interconnection system. I think that incompatibility is likely due to these changes, rather that physical size differences mentioned by the service rep.

That was my impression as well before today.
I will try and push back a bit next time I talk to them.

This is surprising. I am wondering why institutions are not making recalled shares available to short now, that record date have passed. Did they got disgusted taking short sellers money?

I don't know about the share recall anymore. Everything you'd logically expect didn't materialize and vice versa. At this point I am left wondering, was there really a (sizeable) recall at all?

Reactions: austinEV and Lump
I don't know about the share recall anymore. Everything you'd logically expect didn't materialize and vice versa. At this point I am left wondering, was there really a (sizeable) recall at all?

The only thing we know for sure is that 5.5M shares were recalled between Tuesday, Sept 13th and the record date. According to my estimation a while back, I was expecting to see more than 20MM shares recalled. It is not clear whether there were and how many recalls were done prior to Sept 13th.

New photos of Tesla’s Fremont factory show intense operations for the end of the third quarter

We have noted that Tesla has pressed very hard this whole quarter to reach GAAP profitability through driving sales with various incentives and discounts. And it definitely seems to be working. But not only are they pushing sales, but they are pushing extremely hard in ensuring that all of those sold vehicles are delivered before end-of-quarter (EOQ) in order to contribute to the financial results.

A lot of those vehicles were, and are, being prepped for delivery just like we pointed out a couple of weeks ago when we covered the new aerial footage of Fremont factory. Now, thanks to /u/ hkibad on Reddit, we have some on-the-ground photos giving a little more insight into how intense operations are at Tesla right now.

There is 0 TSLA shares available to short at Fidelity, with interest rate steady at 25%.
0 SCTY shares available to short, interest rate 36.5%

Edit: if we continue to see low availability of TSLA shares and high interest rate, SP will likely have a run-up ahead of the Q3 deliveries announcement.
I would love to take short sellers' money as daily interest plus see them cover their shorts as TSLA runs up in high $200s and beyond over the next several months

I would love to take short sellers' money as daily interest plus see them cover their shorts as TSLA runs up in high $200s and beyond over the next several months

Because TSLA is such a controversial stock, we can expect high short interest for quite a while. Writing OTM covered calls while collecting interest is a nice living, even if the stock goes nowhere.

Have we got any official confirmation of the record date other than that email from an exec in the know? I haven't seen any SEC filings or anything that officially confirm it.

If the date isn't confirmed through an official channel, I'm not sure Wall St would start trading (or releasing shares to short) on it.

I just called Fidelity Capital Markets to release the restriction on lending out my TSLA shares. They said that they weren't aware of the record date being Friday. Despite this, I released the restriction.

I too was expecting more shares to short becoming available today. Let's see if there is a delay and they come available as the day goes on. Right now the broader markets are down a bit, but we're seeing the usual Monday morning first-hour bump up in prices. I'm taking a wait and see attitude right now, but I expect TSLA to climb as we get closer to the end of the week. The big question is: how many shares for shorting become available in the next couple days?

Have we got any official confirmation of the record date other than that email from an exec in the know? I haven't seen any SEC filings or anything that officially confirm it.

If the date isn't confirmed through an official channel, I'm not sure Wall St would start trading (or releasing shares to short) on it.

The VP of Investor Relationship is as official as it gets. The institutions know about record date as they notified by the company according to SEC rules.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
Status
Not open for further replies.