Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
@DaveT does this surprise you? I think Dave claimed just the other day that if you we went into tesla stores and asked the employee's about the ratio they would admit MX has less demand?

Yeah that's surprising. I was at a local store a few months ago and the employee told me that MX orders were less than half of MS orders, at least from their store.

It would be interesting if we could get some more data points. Would be interesting if we can get 5-10 more people to post their findings here.

Yeah that's surprising. I was at a local store a few months ago and the employee told me that MX orders were less than half of MS orders, at least from their store.

It would be interesting if we could get some more data points. Would be interesting if we can get 5-10 more people to post their findings here.

I was in two Tesla stores in Orange County, CA they both stated 50/50 for S/X orders and that both were selling well.

Last edited:
Like Ken said, sale ends soon on the SCTY arb.

Picked up a few more SCTY after closing out a short MBLY position this morning.

As for S/X split: The VIN trackers will tell you that the numbers look suggestive of close to 50/50, perhaps with a small edge to the S. Anecdotal from several centers seems to suggest similar. I suspect the actual split will be between 60/40 and 50/50, edge to the S.

I'm told 60/40 in favor of S.

I think that information from "few month ago" is outdated. It would be unwise to draw any conclusions about current situation based on information obtained several months ago.

When I click on that link I see the Electrek article, dated "5 hours ago".

But when I go to the Electrek main page, it's not there. It goes from "VW Design Sketches..." (4 hours ago) to "Tesla Model S P100D is not only a ’10-second car’, it beats cars like Corvette Z06 & Nissan GT-R" 7 hours ago.

Is anyone else seeing this? Does anyone understand what's going on with that?

So the amateur hour has come and gone without inducing a panic by the shorts or broader buying by the longs. The real game starts now. As long as large numbers of shares to short fail to become available this week, the SP will rise.

The big question for people planning to buy this week is do you do so now and ride out any potential dip or do you wait for a dip that may never come?

I for one find the very controlled stairstep trading we've seen since the first 15 minutes of trading today as being very odd.

Via Streetinsider.com:

"Baird analyst Ben Kallo said he likes SolarCity (NASDAQ: SCTY) as a trade as he expects the Tesla (NASDAQ: TSLA) deal to close.

Kallo commented, "We like SCTY as a short-term trade as the spread between SCTY’s share price and expected TSLA acquisition price is substantial, and we expect the deal to close. Under the proposed
merger, SCTY shareholders would receive 0.11 TSLA shares per SCTY share, equivalent to ~$23 based on TSLA’s current price, which represents potential upside of >15% from current levels. We like SCTY as a short-term trade and we expect the stock to catch up to its deal price as the shareholder vote nears."

He maintained a Neutral rating and price target of $25 on SCTY.

For an analyst ratings summary and ratings history on SolarCity
click here. For more ratings news on SolarCity click here.

Shares of SolarCity closed at $18.71 yesterday."

I'm starting to wonder why I'm invested in TSLA instead of SCTY...the past week, SCTY jumped 15%.

Because money in TSLA feels as safe as GICs compared to SCTY. SCTY moves +/- 15% all the time (usually minus). I've been a SCTY investor for years and it makes TSLA feel low stress.

Last edited:
With Q3 drawing to a close, it's interesting to complete what Tesla will do for Q4. It's pretty obvious they've pushed through a lot of their backlog and price sensitive demand, so there's a few approaches they could take to keep the growth going in Q4 (or not):

1) End Discounting - If Tesla reverts to full pricing they'll see margin improvements but the combo of reduced backlog + higher prices would likely result in a big drop in deliveries in Q4. If Tesla delivers 24K in Q3 it would look pretty bad to sell 18k in Q4, and it would start the ugly narrative that sales are tanking and will continue to drop until M3. The Seeking Alpha bears are already pushing the "big Q4 drop" narrative.

2) Continue Discounting - Tesla could continue with pricing as is. I suspect we'd still see a small drop in deliveries with the reduced backlog, but it's possible a few good points of publicity for the X (e.g. SUV of the year) would boost demand enough that Tesla could repeat ~24k deliveries in Q4.

3) Introduce Something Big - Tesla might be taking the opportunity with the plant shut down next week to introduce some major upgrades. If they start equipping AP2 software and make a big deal about it, then it would reframe all the recent discounts as a one time thing to purge inventory, rather than the new norm. Combine this with #2 and we could see a rise in deliveries.

4) Accept Flat Deliveries and Boost Revenue via Tesla Energy
Tesla could continue with approach #2 and have automotive flat Q/Q but still boost revenue via a nice quarter with Tesla Energy. It's hard to know where they are on the ramp, but I assume they'll use 2170 cells for the big SoCal project that will be installed in Q4, so I think they're close to major production. The narrative of flat automotive revenue until M3 but rapidly growing TE might be a good enough story to support the stock until M3.

I think we'll see a lot of "sizzle" between now and the M3 launch (e.g. SCTY roof, M3 Pt 2, Model Y launch, Tesla Semi) but Tesla also really needs to keep revenue growing pretty steadily or the narrative will become "osborneing". Hopefully Tesla has something planned for Q4. Then again, maybe Tesla is just expecting flat or declining automotive until M3 and that's why they're doing an equity raise now before the decline starts.

Last edited:
Reactions: Intl Professor
I think that information from "few month ago" is outdated. It would be unwise to draw any conclusions about current situation based on information obtained several months ago.

Yep. I think the big bubble of MX backlog clearing out in Q3 distorts the true "going forward" demand for MX.

Seems to me that MX sells far less than MS. But the MS 2-year lease deal probably skews the recent sales over the past month

Q4 deliveries will likely be a good indicator of the real split

Reactions: winfield100
The big question for people planning to buy this week is do you do so now and ride out any potential dip or do you wait for a dip that may never come?

I for one find the very controlled stairstep trading we've seen since the first 15 minutes of trading today as being very odd.

That is the question indeed - my spidey-sense is mute on this one. What do you think? I'm leaning towards buying a little more SCTY now before the SCTY/.11 <--> TSLA gap closes further. Thoughts? PMs welcome :)!

Yep. I think the big bubble of MX backlog clearing out in Q3 distorts the true "going forward" demand for MX.

Seems to me that MX sells far less than MS. But the MS 2-year lease deal probably skews the recent sales over the past month

Q4 deliveries will likely be a good indicator of the real split
If other marque's are to be trusted as evidence of the overall demand for that market segment, X stands to have far more demand than S, in the long-term. Just look at how many Cayenne's Porsche sells vs Panameras, or X5/X6's BMW sells vs 5/6 series.

When I click on that link I see the Electrek article, dated "5 hours ago".

But when I go to the Electrek main page, it's not there. It goes from "VW Design Sketches..." (4 hours ago) to "Tesla Model S P100D is not only a ’10-second car’, it beats cars like Corvette Z06 & Nissan GT-R" 7 hours ago.

Is anyone else seeing this? Does anyone understand what's going on with that?
this link takes to top of page
New photos of Tesla’s Fremont factory show intense operations for the end of the third quarter

so I decided to check out seekingalpha to see what the shorts are thinking and read Montana Skeptic's posting. I must say that his read of the Hoerbiger lawsuit is interesting.

Anyone have any details about the settlement? We'll know more on Oct 4th, but I'm curious if there are any leaks anywhere?

My contrarian take is that the settlement terms wouldn't be announced, even by Musk, because that's generally the purpose of those Non-Disclosure clauses! Especially since the final terms were still being hammered out. However, I don't think Tesla got anything out of it other than getting Hoerbiger's claims thrown out. So the win is that Tesla doesn't have to pay anything.

So although we can interpret MS as doing us a favor (by winding the spring even tighter and drawing more shorts in thinking that Hoerbiger won), the actual result would probably be meh and completely dependent on Q3 delivery results.

Not sure how to interpret the Oct 4th meeting of the conditions though. :(

• Love
Reactions: winfield100
Status
Not open for further replies.