Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There's not exactly a ton to discuss about TSLA in the after hours. This board went silent for an hour. I don't think a little OT is unheard of.
OT is fine... I'm referring to the "discussion about interplanetary travel"... this sort of thing is typically the result of years of research and development conducted by the scientific communities on a global scale... vetted by such communities... for solid science and safety... not by an individual that happens to have a few billion at their disposal that believes in the commercialization of such activities.

It is not Elon's... or any *one's* place in the world to direct the human race. it is simply ego that drives one to believe they are our leader. whether it be Bezos, Bigelow, Benson or Musk... this kind of thinking is no different than Trump believing he should be our president due to his powerful wealth and business successes.

Yes.

These people are cancer. We're trying to have a rare discussion about interplanetary travel, and these idiots are too busy with this crap.
Elon kept pointing out that the first manned mission will be quite dangerous. I think the first manned ship should be called "the B Ark" (also from HGTTG). Then he can send the volunteers from the audience!

OT is fine... I'm referring to the "discussion about interplanetary travel"... this sort of thing is typically the result of years of research and development conducted by the scientific communities on a global scale... vetted by such communities... for solid science and safety... not by an individual that happens to have a few billion at their disposal that believes in the commercialization of such activities.

It is not Elon's... or any *one's* place in the world to direct the human race. it is simply ego that drives one to believe they are our leader. whether it be Bezos, Bigelow, Benson or Musk... this kind of thinking is no different than Trump believing he should be our president due to his powerful wealth and business successes.

I'm honestly not following your complaint, however.

Pretty much everything you stated is an opinion on the matter. Your views on Musk, humanity, who has the right to go and who doesn't.

If we're discussing facts - the fact is that we have a company, for whatever purpose, driving towards a very singular goal with a highly motivated head throwing her personal fortune at it. It doesn't really matter what your feelings on Musk or his intentions are, it doesn't detract from the fact he has a pretty deep hand in the potential first missions and he isn't lacking on information or details. So it's very disheartening watching the opportunity wasted to have a public (and well publicized) discussion on the matter.

And tossing in Trump is painfully hyperbolic. As is ignorance of the years SpaceX and others have spent researching and building the means that is propelling these stages.

Have you ever heard Elon Musk suggest that his wealth or business acumen entitle him to "be our leader?" If you have any such source I would be very interested in seeing it. It would cause me to re-evaluate everything I know about the man and my investment thesis in his companies as well.

So far as I can tell, Elon's SpaceX venture is rooted in an earnest belief that extinction of the human race is inevitable if we continue to occupy a single planet with no "back-up" alternative. In the same way that data loss is inevitable if you have everything stored on a single hard drive with zero back-up.

He's rallied investors and world-class engineers around himself and has found a market-driven path to realizing his vision by lowering the cost of commercial spaceflight and making major advancements in reusable rocket technology.

I find your comment deeply and unreasonably cynical. Do you have a horse in this race?

That was a pretty amazing presentation by Elon. Makes you realise what else occupies his time.

Back to TSLA... obviously the ratio between TSLA and SCTY is approaching 0.11 (versus going the other way). Every day it does this I take to be a day that the investment community overall is forgetting its doubt that the acquisition will take place.

Illumination-
Elon's challenge:
getting humanity to Mars
Investment community challenge:
yeah but can he pull off a merger that's already happened?

I never cease to be amazed...

That was a pretty amazing presentation by Elon. Makes you realise what else occupies his time.
I am amazed that he is doing all of that, plus Tesla and TE and SCTY.
Planning out my trading week so that I am all set by the close on Friday. Is it fair to assume that Tesla will release Q3 deliveries number prior to the opening on Monday October 3rd? Does anyone think they'll wait until after Monday's trading is over?
I believe that the numbers will be announced on the weekend, but I wouldn't place a substantial investment at risk depending on it.

.. this sort of thing is typically the result of years of research and development conducted by the scientific communities on a global scale... vetted by such communities... for solid science and safety... not by an individual that happens to have a few billion at their disposal that believes in the commercialization of such activities.

So Christopher Columbus should have waited until their was a consensus among the scientific communities of Europe,Asia, and Africa before setting sail with the patronage of single very wealthy woman?

Elon should wait to decarbonize land transportation until there is a universal consensus?

This is beyond stupid.

I'm honestly not following your complaint, however.

Pretty much everything you stated is an opinion on the matter. Your views on Musk, humanity, who has the right to go and who doesn't.

If we're discussing facts - the fact is that we have a company, for whatever purpose, driving towards a very singular goal with a highly motivated head throwing her personal fortune at it. It doesn't really matter what your feelings on Musk or his intentions are, it doesn't detract from the fact he has a pretty deep hand in the potential first missions and he isn't lacking on information or details. So it's very disheartening watching the opportunity wasted to have a public (and well publicized) discussion on the matter.

And tossing in Trump is painfully hyperbolic. As is ignorance of the years SpaceX and others have spent researching and building the means that is propelling these stages.
"And tossing in Trump is painfully hyperbolic."

that was an intentional jab to make the point... my opinion is that Trump is a cancer and a disgrace... and Elon is an intellectual... and comparing the two may be hard to swallow... but we seem to have gone from billionaires silently manipulating our governments and economies behind the scenes to them openly proclaiming themselves as rightful leaders due to their successes... Elon is in this category. I will receive many "dislikes" from this... but the best leaders in the world's history did not have billions of dollars behind them.

Take Autopilot for example... how many PhDs in computer science have expressed their concerns over premature introduction of such technologies?... how many of these opinions have made significant headlines?... now compare that to the monthly headlines we see from Elon's tweets.

The attention Elon drives towards these ideas is interesting... but it can also be very dangerous.

"And tossing in Trump is painfully hyperbolic."

that was an intentional jab to make the point... my opinion is that Trump is a cancer and a disgrace... and Elon is an intellectual... and comparing the two may be hard to swallow... but we seem to have gone from billionaires silently manipulating our governments and economies behind the scenes to them openly proclaiming themselves as rightful leaders due to their successes... Elon is in this category. I will receive many "dislikes" from this... but the best leaders in the world's history did not have billions of dollars behind them.

Take Autopilot for example... how many PhDs in computer science have expressed their concerns over premature introduction of such technologies?... how many of these opinions have made significant headlines?... now compare that to the monthly headlines we see from Elon's tweets.

The attention Elon drives towards these ideas is interesting... but it can also be very dangerous.

I'm still not seeing where he's proclaiming himself our leader. I really feel like you're reaching to extrapolate on your point. The guy has a dream thousands, millions of us share. He has worked to put himself in a position to develop technologies to allow us to go.

Now your comment that other leaders in history didn't have billions behind them is fine, but he's not proclaiming to be a leader. He's far more akin to explorer - and they DID have billions (adjusted for inflation) behind them. This feels equally the same in my mind.

Would you like to outline the dangers in him/SpaceX further developing rockets and propelling us to Mars? Because I'm not seeing it and I'm not seeing the world's governments stepping up.

So Christopher Columbus should have waited until their was a consensus among the scientific communities of Europe,Asia, and Africa before setting sail with the patronage of single very wealthy woman?

Elon should wait to decarbonize land transportation until there is a universal consensus?

This is beyond stupid.

Christopher Columbus took a trip on a boat where the end result could have ended in the death of himself and his crew... Elon is making decisions that are capable of affecting every single person on the planet... maybe he's right... maybe he's wrong... but is this for him to decide?

Albert Einstein: “I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”

Your Columbus reference sounds good... but is not an accurate analogy for our time.

Christopher Columbus took a trip on a boat where the end result could have ended in the death of himself and his crew... Elon is making decisions that are capable of affecting every single person on the planet... maybe he's right... maybe he's wrong... but is this for him to decide?

Albert Einstein: “I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”

Your Columbus reference sounds good... but is not an accurate analogy for our time.

I'm unclear how it affects every person on Earth. It seems equal to the Columbus analogy - it affects every person on the ship.

Reactions: Lessmog
snip

Planning out my trading week so that I am all set by the close on Friday. Is it fair to assume that Tesla will release Q3 deliveries number prior to the opening on Monday October 3rd? Does anyone think they'll wait until after Monday's trading is over?

I would be surprised if Tesla waits until the market opens on Monday before releasing Q3 delivery numbers if you believe that maximizing stock price prior to the merger vote and the capital raise is Elon's goal. Waiting until Monday trading hours would allow doubt to creep in.

This is a week you'll absolutely need to watch the SP carefully too, because when TSLA turns upward, it could climb quite quickly. Lots of people share your plans.

Last edited:
I'm thinking a wealthy investor or institution could start accumulating shares in Tesla and immediately lend them out to short sellers, thus earning interest as well as keeping the share price depressed during the accumulation (for every purchase there would be a sale). This would increase the number of shares held short and thus give a better base to the share price as well as increasing the odds of a short squeeze. If all else remains equal this condition would persist (along with the interest payments) until shorts began to buy back shares, but while you would lose the interest payments the buying would support the stock price.

I'm thinking in 5 or 10 years it would be a nice feather in the cap of any fund to say they've held TSLA since 2016 (even if the amount isn't huge). In addition to the above benefits due to the unique situation of being fully shorted, the risk is limited by the likelihood of a buyout if any real problems came about. Elon has said he'd sell the company if that became the most likely path to mass producing EVs.

I would be surprised if Tesla waits until the market opens on Monday if you believe that maximizing stock price prior to the merger vote and the capital raise is his goal. Waiting until Monday trading hours would allow doubt to creep in.

This is a week you'll absolutely need to watch the SP carefully too, because when TSLA turns upward, it could climb quite quickly. Lots of people share your plans.

I think Tesla would want to simultaneously announce profitability with the delivery report if they achieve it, so I can see it being delayed. I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't released until Wednesday, 10/5. I would interpret a delay as slightly bullish, speculatively of course.

Reactions: Lessmog
Status
Not open for further replies.