Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just trying to learn -
With a margin account, doesn't the broker have the right to lend out shares and they keep the interest earned rather than the account holder? What kind of lending paperwork are you filing?

Yes. However, I believe they are limited to a percentage of your margin loan. (E*Trade told me that they only lend up to 120% of the margin loan).

No paperwork required.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
Tesla's previous record sales for energy storage was 25 MWh in Q1. The two deals announced this month (80 and 35) add up to 114 MWh. This is not the sort of growth you want to see if you're short.

Tesla Batteries to Help Water Utility Save More Than $500,000 Annually -- The Motley Fool
Really excellent news if they complete both of those orders in Q4, if they use GF produced cells, and if they continue to ramp quickly.

The odds seem really good on all coun

Particularly if they provide an update to that effect during the solar roof announcement :D!

Last edited:
Reactions: Nate the Great
The share lending market is somewhat opaque and it appears that brokerages more or less set the prices by hand. The brokerage that offers the best price today might not offer the best price tomorrow.

Also consider that price is only one factor. Others include the ability to keep the shares lent out and to honor its commitments in extreme circumstances.

With that said, Schwab seems to offer the worst prices. IB is sometimes better than Fidelity and Fidelity is sometimes better than IB. On average, it seems that Fidelity's prices are marginally better. But that could change quickly. You would do well to price shop every so often.
Thanks.

One of the members on here, had indicated that Fidelity pays 1% per month. That of course would be affected by supply and demand.

I thought Fidelity never explicitly stated they supported the merger with SolarCity? Although I think language around the time of the announcement inferred they supported it...?
Fidelity has multiple fund managers. Two funds in particular hold huge amounts of TSLA. One of those two fund managers explicitly stated that he supported the merger. IIRC.

Reactions: madodel
TrendTrader007 has mentioned he bought TSLA on margin and now filed "lending paperwork" in order to lend out his shares. So I'm trying to understand his strategy.

I don't know @TrendTrader007 's situation, but the way I understand it, if your shares are owned on margin, in a margin account, then your brokerage has the right (as part of your margin account agreement), to lend your shares out. It is my understanding that in this particular case, you the share owner receive no compensation. The brokerage 'paid' for that privilege by extending you the ability to purchase shares for less than what they cost.

It gets a bit harder to do the math and understand things between the two extremes - one extreme being that you fully own every share (no outstanding margin loan), and you are fully margined (anything going down a penny will yield a margin call). Any shares that you fully own are not able to be lent out under your margin agreement.

Instead, any shares you fully own you can register with your brokerage's Fully Paid Lending Program (in which you grant your brokerage the right to borrow your Fully Paid shares, and lend them out to others). For completeness, it's important to understand that very few companies are desired by brokerages for their Fully Paid Lending Program. None of the other company shares I own have ever been lent out - only the TSLA shares I own. Think of it as the demand for those companies shares to short is sufficiently low, that the brokerage has an adequate supply of shares from other sources (brokerage owned, margined shares), to be able to loan shares anytime they are requested. I believe the interest rates paid to borrow shares in this case are more on the order of 1% (or less).

In my case, I own my shares in a margin account. However that account is fully funded, so I own all my shares completely, and have them registered with Fidelity's Fully Paid Lending Program. It's this latter bit of paperwork that I believe TrendTrader is referring to.

Quick question regarding brokerages that allow for "Fully Paid Lending Program". I know that there are a few that do not have this program: Etrade, TD Ameritrade, Vanquard.

For the brokerages that do have this program: Schwab, IB, Fidelty. Which one offers a better premium?
In order, of those, IB typically has the best rate, Fidelity has a middling rate, Schwab typically has the worst rate.

I still haven't bothered to move my shares away from Schwab because my life has been too busy to open new accounts, but that's been pretty consistent. Over the last several years' rounds of lending, Fidelity tends to run 1% higher than Schwab, so it's not a huge spread loss.

IB often runs much higher. But IB caters to active traders so you may lose too much in other fees by going with them if you aren't an active trader. And IB can fluctuate in rate really fast compared to Fidelity and Schwab, which are more stable.

• Informative
Reactions: GoTslaGo
I echo @Rarity's comments. We know that IB explicitly pays 50% of interest charged (it's in their program documents) to the lender of the shares (minus a really small sliver to pay for transaction costs, ~1% or less). Fidelity sets the two rates separately, so at times, Fidelity will be keeping >50% and will sometimes be keeping <50%. Somebody posted a history of the lending and borrowing rates from Fidelity tracked over a few months - over that period, it looked like Fidelity was paying about 55% of the lending rate to borrowers.

Over time, I figure everybody will be in the vicinity of 50/50, and will maintain similar lending rates. Market pressures will keep them adjusting back towards each other.

I personally went with Fidelity as they seem more friendly for infrequent traders like myself. IB wants a large account balance or frequent monthly trading ($10 in commissions / month), while I don't typically need all the fingers on a hand to count annual trades. And I hate paying fees, so being able to have my brokerage account with no monthly charges is important to me :)

For lending your shares out, I consider understanding the safeguards that protect your shares to be paramount. You're protecting from a number of counter party risks. They all sound scary, but you've also got some powerful interests working in your favor. The most important, IMHO, is the power of your counterparty (your brokerage) to sell anything and everything in the borrower's account to reacquire your shares to return them to you. The collateral backstop is primarily to protect you from your brokerage being unable to perform, not so much the borrower's ability to perform (though I expect your brokerage gets the cash collateral from the borrower).

And you still risk selling your shares today, at yesterday's closing price. In a period of sustained stability in the share price, that isn't much of a risk. Where this is important is if TSLA moves 50% in a single day - that'll create large demands on short sellers to supply additional cash or close positions, and in the extreme of your brokerage being unable to perform, result in you receiving cash back for your shares instead of the shares (that just went up 50%). Of course, I think that looks like bankruptcy for the brokerage (they didn't return your shares, or update the collateral held by the 4th party at the end of the day), and they are understandably loathe to allow that to happen.

The financial strength and willingness of your brokerage to keep you whole when they borrow your shares is part of what you're choosing, when you choose a brokerage to lend your shares to.

Thank you, I'm appreciative of you conveying your experience and knowledge on this subject.

Status
Not open for further replies.